Menu

Oh my goodness - EVERYONE needs to watch this!

I love her confidence, she will go far in life with that fire but somebody should explain suffixes to that girl.

"ed" is a past tense, "er" is a present tense which appears in verbs having frequentative meaning. The "homeschooled" are those who are or were once "homeschoolers".

Ok.... a pastor shared it and I thought it was really cute. I guess I didn't picture there being any real homeschoolers out there wearing camo.

I agree - I think she was making fun of the stereotype and trying to get people to see that most homeschooled kids are "normal" (whatever that means and whoever gets to decide what defines normal).

The weird/cool thing reminds me of 6th grade. Maybe I'm just too old to relate to this young lady :001_rolleyes:

I'm proud of being "weird" in many ways. And we are raising our kids to be proud and self-directed and to not have any regard for external definitions of "weird" or "cool". We write our own definitions of "cool" around here.

I suppose that makes my kids "homeschoolers" :lol: They have no trouble relating to others though, and are certainly secure with themselves.

DH and I are happy sci-fi (and science) geeks. Tennis shoes are comfortable, practical, and supportive. And yes, I wear them with socks, even with shorts, all summer long. I am past the point of caring what anyone thinks about my geeky interests and clothing. We have high hopes of raising our kids to not care about this stuff either. IMO it's one of the benefits of homeschooling !

Has this already been posted? Homeschoolers vs Homeschooled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQoSRfu5z_4

Reminds me of when someone tried to explain the difference between being a Trekie and a Treker.

I think that her point was that there is a difference between those who are at home for academic reasons and those for whom homeschooling fits with a larger theme of rejecting the trappings of society.

It was humor and as such oversimplifies.

On the other hand, the majority of people I know who wear camo and who can't socialize well are schooled kids.

Ok.... a pastor shared it and I thought it was really cute. I guess I didn't picture there being any real homeschoolers out there wearing camo.

Yes - our oldest wears camo shorts, Harry Potter T-shirts, and tennis shoes with socks. And he is dang cute in this outfit too.

We don't get "Popular Science" - we get Discover magazine. :D

Edited by laundrycrisis

She's cute, and her video is well done; but I didn't like it. Struck me as arrogant. "I'm better than the others."

And I totally don't get why she assigned the present-tense term "homeschooler" to the kids she doesn't like and the past-tense term "homeschooled" to the kids she does like. Why not two parallel terms?

No camo, cullotes, Popular Science or spelling bees in our home.

She's cute, and her video is well done; but I didn't like it. Struck me as arrogant. "I'm better than the others."

:iagree:

Not blending in with the general population is one of the goals of homeschooling my children.

Dh wears camo.

Cute video, but why to push to be seen like everyone else? I attended public school and still didn't fit in like everyone else. I guess I just don't follow her logic.

We all wear camo here too, not for a specific reason, just because. Of course ours came from a clothing outlet, not army/navy surplus, unless you count Old Navy camo. ;)

Dh and ds were wearing their camo shorts while we watched Star Trek the other night. We're sci fi geeks. :D

As for normal, I'm not sure I'd ever want to BE normal....I'm 43, why start now...ds is following the same pattern.

...I'd add more...but...yeah, that's my drum beating off in far left field...gotta go.

ETA: We DO get Popular Science magazine

Well, I'm apparently the mother of one homeschooled kid and one homeschooler (Who wears camo- that made me laugh!) and I thought it was pretty funny. I do take exception to the idea that Albert Einstein was homeschooled - he was known to be socially awkward as a child. He was a homeschooler for sure!

I was prepared to hate it after reading the comments, but...

I think she is hysterical! She is so darling! Don't we al joke about denim jumpers here? This is the teen version. :001_smile:

I kind of agree with her. (And this from a member of the family whose motto is, "We've seen normal, and we don't want any part of it.") We don't want to be like most people, but not because we want to fit a homeschool stereotype. We still want to communicate with "normal" people. :D

I thought it was very funny! Very cute.

My dh wears camo, and dd, age 6, is out with him right now training the dog (in her pink camo). The Popular Mechanics part made me laugh out loud. We watch Popular Mechanics For Kids on DVD from the library, but we don't have culottes to stash them in. I'll have to get some.;)

Seriously, we bump up against the "homeschool-er" judgements all the time, mostly from family members. They can't figure out how dd got to be so well-adjusted, cheerful, and outgoing without going to public preschool or kindergarten.

Thanks for sharing the link!

I think she is hysterical! She is so darling! Don't we al joke about denim jumpers here? This is the teen version. :001_smile:

I kind of agree with her. (And this from a member of the family whose motto is, "We've seen normal, and we don't want any part of it.") We don't want to be like most people, but not because we want to fit a homeschool stereotype. We still want to communicate with "normal" people. :D

:iagree:

I thought it was funny:)

:iagree: I think it's cute. She's going to go far!!!

All those who had negative comments about the video...arrogant? needs a grammar tense lesson? Wow! She is a teenager! Remember being a teen? Do you have teens?

Get over the negativity and judgmentalism. It was cute. She is cute. Good for her. She looks like she had fun with it.

I laughed and passed it on. That was the purpose.

Thanks for posting!

All those who had negative comments about the video...arrogant? needs a grammar tense lesson? Wow! She is a teenager! Remember being a teen? Do you have teens?

Get over the negativity and judgmentalism. I

Haha! And you had a negative, judgmental comment for everyone else? Was that deliberate?

Yes, I do!

Get over the negativity and judgmentalism. It was cute. She is cute. Good for her. She looks like she had fun with it.

I laughed and passed it on. That was the purpose.

Ok! Thanks for telling us how to respond!

Thanks for posting!

You, too!

I actually posted this video in the "Weird Homeschool" thread earlier. I stumbled onto this video a few months ago and just love this girl. I watched several of her other videos (she has a whole youtube place where you can view them all) and she is so hysterical and creative. My dc loved her stuff with the fruit and veggies singing and talking. Jedi Lemons who hate cranberries.

I just saw this one called Housewife P90X . Funny!

Her stuff is on OpheliaBH Channel.

Enjoy!

Haha! And you had a negative, judgmental comment for everyone else? Was that deliberate?

lol! Thanks for pointing it out to me. :blushing:

I just get irritated when people bash children...she is just a teen. Finding her voice, expressing herself...you know, a teen :tongue_smilie:

really, thanks :D

Wow! She is a teenager! Remember being a teen? Do you have teens?

She is married. So, not a kid, right? It did seem like an unusual topic for a grown woman... but maybe she's homeschooling (or considering) her own babies and this has been on her mind a lot? Who knows.

The video was cutesey. Simplified, yes - but most comedy sketch sorts of things are. :)

The funny thing - my kids get called out constantly - people specifically ask if they're homeschooled. When we say yes - they say they could tell because my kids are so polite. :lol: Other than that, we blend right in with the rest of humanity just fine. I make denim-jumper jokes frequently and have all intentions of taking pictures for Christmas cards dressed in our "homeschoolers' uniforms" one of these years. Looks like I need to add camo to the outfits to be believable. :D

I loved it. She is a teen (or appears to be!) and "fitting in" to the mainstream and not standing out as wierd or geeky is very important to many, if not most teens, including mine. If your kids are young it's easy to feel you don't care if you fit in or not, but once they hit the teen years...it can become an issue.

I appreciated her creativity in putting it together...and it DID say at teh beginning that it was a JOKE. Maybe it presses a few buttons.

• 1 month later...

I've seen this before, thought it was cute. I think the larger point she is alluding to is that some families derive their entire identity from homeschooling; they are intentional about not fitting in and not exposing their children to popular culture in general and, sometimes, public schooled children specifically. At the other end of the spectrum are those who homeschool but consider it just an education method, not a defining characteristic.

And most of us are probably somewhere in between!

I've seen this before, thought it was cute. I think the larger point she is alluding to is that some families derive their entire identity from homeschooling; they are intentional about not fitting in and not exposing their children to popular culture in general and, sometimes, public schooled children specifically. At the other end of the spectrum are those who homeschool but consider it just an education method, not a defining characteristic.

And most of us are probably somewhere in between!

Exactly. homeschooled implies that homeschooling is just something that happened to a person while homeschooler implies they identify themselves by that one thing.

We're both. And I loved the video.

I would also imagine that the terminology of homeschooler vs homeschooled might be analogous to the disabled vs people with disabilities, as in the latter group are not defined by the characteristic mentioned. (Unless it's humor and nothing more, in which case we've probably given it more consideration than she did lol)

I don't know that I agree with what she says, but I think she is a really good speaker/actor.