Menu

Has anyone been to traffic court?

I got my FIRST traffic violation ticket. I was stuck in very heavy traffic that was moving at a crawl. When I was nearing my exit I decided to move out of the stopped traffic into the breakdown lane for about 3 seconds with the intention of taking the exit. A policeman stopped me and gave me an $85 ticket. He said that if I didn't want to pay the ticket I could go to traffic court on the given date and they would probably dismiss the ticket since I have a good driving record (I've never had a traffic violation in 30 years.)

Anyway, I've decided to go to traffic court but I don't know what to expect or say. Has anyone been to traffic court? Can you give me a heads up?

I have.

Here in Missouri, I went to traffic court and was given the option to plead guilty or not guilty. Pleading "not guilty" gave me the opportunity to speak to the prosecuting attorney (even though technically I was guilty). It bought me some time. The court clerk then gave me the phone # and court hours that I could come by and meet with the prosecuting attorney about the ticket.

I met said attorney, explained my situation (dh out of work for past year, no money, etc....could I do community service?). He then provided a very reasonable solution to my dilemma. He put me on driving probation for six months and said if I received no further tickets in that time, then my speeding ticket would be wiped off the books. It would be like it never existed.

I think some states (like California) require the officer that ticketed you to show up to court if you plan to contest it. If he doesn't show, then your ticket is excused.

Good luck!

I went recently and found out that anyone who goes WILL get their fine reduced. In WA the judge said she couldn't dismiss it alltogether unless we paid another fee; then it could be removed from the record. There wasn't however any way to get out of the ticket completely, that is, at least in this particular judge's courtroom.

Yes, unfortunately I've been to traffic court a couple times... :glare:

It is generally worthwhile to go, as they will usually reduce your fine and/or points if you go to traffic court (not sure if all states have the "point system" - I know many do).

My experience has been that you first sit through a briefing (or a video) that explains the process (along with everyone else that has to report to traffic court at your appointed time). Then you go into the court room and wait for your name to be called. When you're called, you enter your plea (guilty, not guilty, and I think there might be a third option but can't recall what that is).

If you plead guilty (which I have both times I had to go to traffic court), the judge might make a few remarks about the incident and/or your record, and give you a chance to say something. He/she will then tell you what your ticket has been reduced to. You then get a form back with your revised fine/points and you take that to the cashier right there in the courthouse and pay your fine. I had my fine and points reduced both times I went to court so it was worth it for me.

I googled "traffic court for <my city>" before I went and found quite a bit of helpful information about the traffic court process for my city/state - it helped me feel more prepared before I went.

Good luck! :)

Has anyone been to traffic court? Can you give me a heads up?

I went just this morning!

I showed up at the appointed time. I talked with the deputy who had given me the ticket. I explained why I was speeding, he reminded me that it was still against the law. I agreed.

He put me on probation for 3 months, and made me pay "court fees" of $81 instead of the "fine" of $156.

After my 3 months, if I get no other ticket in that county, this ticket will be dismissed. It won't show up on my record, and won't be reported to my insurance company.

FWIW, I didn't have to formally declare myself "guilty" or "not guilty". I just showed up, listened to my little lecture, handed over some cash, and said "Thank you."

Oh, take cash with you. This court doesn't take personal checks. I don't know if that's standard.

After my 3 months, if I get no other ticket in that county, this ticket will be dismissed. It won't show up on my record, and won't be reported to my insurance company.

FWIW, I didn't have to formally declare myself "guilty" or "not guilty". I just showed up, listened to my little lecture, handed over some cash, and said "Thank you."

Oh, take cash with you. This court doesn't take personal checks. I don't know if that's standard.

I like your system!! Wish we had that here...

BTW, here in CO (or at least in my town), you can pay with cash, check or credit card...

I've been once for myself, once with ds. (I had my license two months short of 30 years when I got my first (and only so far) ticket.) A couple of tips:

Arrive early!! Judges don't like people to be late, and may not allow you to enter at all after the start of the session. We had to wait in line at a clerk's office to check in before going into the courtroom.

Be polite and contrite. Most judges will reduce the points and/or fine if they aren't irritated by your attitude. Follow the rules of the courtroom -- food, drink, talking are all prohibited in the one I've been in.

You will have to go through a metal detector, so clean out your purse or pockets before you get there. No pocket knives, etc. In our county, no reading material may be brought in.

Watch what's going on while you're waiting for your case to be called. You'll probably learn something.