Menu

Conceptual Chemistry?

Hi - some questions for users of Conceptual Chemistry, or those who know something about the course.

Which edition? I see there is a 4th edition out this year, but a site I was referred to has helps for the 3rd edition.

Do I just purchase the text, or do I get the teacher's manual and student workbook as well?

Is this a course the student can do without supervision?

Are labs included?

What are your thoughts on this course - especially compared to Apologia Chemistry?

And finally, where do I purchase it from?

Thanks!

I can't help a lot, but I purchased 2 student texts and 2 lab manuals off of Amazon.com and half.com (used, but in new condition). I am looking for a TM, but from looking through the student text and seeing the offerings on the website, I'm not sure it will be necessary.

A biochem professor friend suggested using this with my boys because it is what they use at the local CC for their non-science majors. He felt it would be a great high school course.

The lab manual has 19 labs. I have found only 2 or 3 that we can't do at home (they require NMR or other equipment we don't have access to). I will supplement labs with another chemistry lab text (Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments).

The text reads very similarly to the Conceptual Physics text - the chemistry author is related to the physics author.

I haven't actually used it, and I know that using it is the ultimate test, but I think it will work well. There are others on the board who have actually used it...hopefully they will chime in. Or you can search the board and perhaps find other posts.

Best wishes

We have the third edition text, lab manual and Instructor's Guide. I found it cheaper & easier to do the MicroChem labs than the ones in the lab manual. I liked having the Instructor's Guide for the answers to the text questions, to help me line up the MicroChem labs and to figure out how to plan the course (there are 3 different options given.) She also did the Chemistry Alive! lectures that came with it.