Menu

Help me decide - Geography

blessed3x

We have A Child's Geography. It is a great book, but reads more like a science book. I bought it this year to complement GTG, but it isn't going to work for that. Instead, we'll use it as a fun summer science program. I like her writing style and the book is full of info.

Is it enough of a sciencey book that it would work for second grade earth science?

IMHO, yes. My 5th grade dd used it this year, independently, and I think she learned more about earth science than straight geography, which was fine with me. She has truly enjoyed it.

IMHO, yes. My 5th grade dd used it this year, independently, and I think she learned more about earth science than straight geography, which was fine with me. She has truly enjoyed it.

:iagree:Definitely enough science for a 2nd grader. It is full of information that I didn't learn until college! It's written in a nice, narrative style.

I've used a Trail Guide to World Geography. :) It is good with daily short questions to answer, the questions have different levels - elementary, middle and high school. I never did more than the daily questions.

I am planning on using Evan Moor's Daily Geography with my kids...I struggled with this same thing..we are doing SOTW for history...so I know they are getting some map skills and geography, but I felt like they needed something a little more on the basic side...like oceans, countries, mountain ranges, etc....and trail guide seemed a little more than what I was looking for...adding crafts, food, recipes, etc...I just wanted plan and basic geography. hope that helps.