Menu

HELP! May I post yet another Latin question?

chai

I have read every Latin post I’ve seen on this board. There are too many options! I need your help deciding what is right for me. :banghead:

I am learning Latin with dd, but I know that she will pass me up eventually. I’m struggling with how to plan the future, because I don’t know Latin myself and I’m really not good at learning languages.

We will complete LCI in a few weeks. We’re doing fine with that program, but I’m afraid that dd is starting to get bored with it. She definitely does better with parts-to-whole, so I feel like a grammar-based approach is best. She enjoys learning derivatives most. I chose ecclesiastical pronunciation because I think she may use it in her singing. I’m also concerned about moving into Henle because I’ve heard that is focused on war. I don’t see dd getting too excited about that. My goal is for dd to read the great books in Latin during high school.

Here are the options as I see them. Which one would you pick? Am I missing some pros and cons? :confused1:

Latin Options

• Continue with LCII. Move to Henle and add in Lingua Latina. (Or move to MP’s new program.)

Pros: Proven path. We're already familiar with the materials. We can continue with a DVD for teaching.

Cons: Boring? Is Henle really focused on wars?

• Switch to Lively Latin. Go quickly through LLI, then on to LL2. Move to Henle and add in Lingua Latina. (Or move to MP’s new program.)

Pros: Lively Latin seems to be more fun. Can continue with the Henle/MP path. Will LL1 be a good review or will it just slow dd down?

Cons: LL2 is just coming out; will it be finished on time? What about errors? Will LL1 be too much review? Teaching helps are on-line vs. DVD. Same issues with Henle.

• Continue with LCII. Switch to Latin Prep.
    Pros: Latin Prep looks like fun and has more translation. Proven path.
    Cons: Change in pronunciation. Different declension order. Fewer teacher helps?

That head banging on a wall totally cracked me up. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, not gonna tell you what to do (!), BUT ... here's what I wouldn't do:

Lively Latin 1. Much tho I completely adore this program, it would be a total repeat of LCI instruction.

I probably wouldn't choose LCII, if your daughter is already bored and wanting more translation.

I like the Latin Prep option best. But it might require a couple modifications for you, if you so desire (ie. keeping Ecclesiastical pronunciation and keeping traditional case order). The instruction is solid and engaging and funny, as are the readings and exercises. You will need to keep up with your daughter, because eventually (by book 2) you'll want to be able to interpret the answer key and know if your daughter's translation (which may differ from the key) is valid and correct.

Ok, 'bout Henle. Yes, many of the translations are about Caesar and the Gauls. And they do get old. And they weren't that interesting to me (I'm sorry to admit). But they do provide a nice Ancient Rome cultural foundation. And Henle is just a very solid, time-tested, effective curriculum that can be successfully used by non-Latin trained families. You won't need to question typos or mistakes in the text. There's an incredibly helpful, active Yahoo group to answer questions. And there are lots of online classes that use Henle. It's a good book. Albeit, not an exciting one. :blush:

I probably wouldn't choose LCII, if your daughter is already bored and wanting more translation.

I'm actually not sure that dd wants more translation. I've just been reading so much on these boards about it that I am questioning my choice of LC.

I like the Latin Prep option best. But it might require a couple modifications for you, if you so desire (ie. keeping Ecclesiastical pronunciation and keeping traditional case order). The instruction is solid and engaging and funny, as are the readings and exercises. You will need to keep up with your daughter, because eventually (by book 2) you'll want to be able to interpret the answer key and know if your daughter's translation (which may differ from the key) is valid and correct.

So, those are all of the things that I worry about with Latin Prep. I'm not one to jump on the latest curriculum bandwagon; I'd rather wait to see if it really works, KWIM? So, has a parent, with little Latin knowledge, been able to teach multiple levels of Latin Prep? I'm also afraid that the pronunciation issue would drive me crazy. Hence, my head-banging!

When in doubt, I'm likely to stick with what I have, but I really want to keep her engaged in learning Latin.

So, those are all of the things that I worry about with Latin Prep. I'm not one to jump on the latest curriculum bandwagon; I'd rather wait to see if it really works, KWIM? So, has a parent, with little Latin knowledge, been able to teach multiple levels of Latin Prep? I'm also afraid that the pronunciation issue would drive me crazy. Hence, my head-banging!

When in doubt, I'm likely to stick with what I have, but I really want to keep her engaged in learning Latin.

The pronunciation doesn't have to be an issue at all. Right now, there is no audio component to Latin Prep. So ... just pronounce the words like you're already used to doing. I use the ecclesiastical pronunciation with Latin Prep. You just go on like you have been. But there's very little difference between the two, anyway. It's not a big deal.

IMO, Latin Prep is far more engaging than Latina Christiana/Henle. I am currently teaching Latin Prep 1 at two different levels (one child in chapter 7, one in chapter 5). What I did was take *myself* through Henle, as far as I could manage on my own; that was more than enough prep for me to teach Latin Prep 1, at least. I haven't even needed an answer key.

Henle is *excellent*, but yes, very focused on war and religion.

There is a Galore Park yahoo list, where parents can ask questions about the Latin. It's really a general support list for all Galore Park products, but parents do bring their Latin questions there and get good answers/help.

My experience is similar to MamaLynx's: I took myself thru the first five units of Henle and the entirety of Latin Book One. That self-ed has equipped me to take on several year's worth of children's latin.

My opinion, fwiw, is that LPrep is an excellent series that will solidly prepare a student for reading real latin, for taking the Nat'l Latin Exam, for strengthening English grammar and even for vocabulary/derivative enrichment.

A parent with little or no Latin training can certainly work thru this series. But only with a little blood, sweat and tears ... but that's what it takes with all these Latin curricula once you hit a certain level. I think all of us can juggle the more elementary Latin details. But once we get to more advanced levels, we all need to decide how much of *ourselves* we're going to commit to the process - by that I mean: am *I* going to continue to learn & teach advanced Latin to my kiddo? am I going to expect my kiddo to self-teach from this level on? am I going to outsource my kiddo's Latin instruction? All are viable options.

Now, all that said, if LC's working for you, why fix what's not broken? However, if your higher priority is a more engaging text, then LPrep might be your answer. It was the answer for my son, who was very grumbly, whiny, unpleasant about his Latin studies. LPrep has been interesting and amusing for him. He's not going to go so far as to say he *likes* Latin :rolleyes:, but he doesn't complain anymore.

Ooh, that title could have multiple meanings couldn't it? :tongue_smilie:

Part of my problem is that I'm not so sure I want to take Latin that far myself. I am enjoying now because it is fun to see where our English language comes from.

When I looked at the Latin Prep sample, the intro said that pronunciation IS important! That made me more concerned about the switch. :001_huh:

Would you suggest going through LCII before Latin Prep? That would give me an entire year to make a decision! :001_smile:

When I looked at the Latin Prep sample, the intro said that pronunciation IS important! That made me more concerned about the switch. :001_huh:

.... is making sure that you pronounce a difference between long and short vowels, because they often have different meanings. The long and short vowels are marked with macrons in the text book, but it's up to you how you pronounce that difference. There are suggestions for classical pronunciation in the first chapter, but you are welcome to ignore them.

Best wishes

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Laura's right, about the differences in meaning. That said, I'll admit to, so far in our studies, totally blowing that off ;-) A classicist would just die, would have an apoplectic fit, listening to us.

But it does not hinder our learning. The CDs we've listened to with ecclesiastical Latin seem to pay less attention to the vowel length. And it works. If anyone goes on to study at university, though, you'll be expected to pronounce things "correctly."

I've recently started listening to podcasts from Latinum. It's funny, because the reader uses a very correct restored classical pronunciation. My Oerber CD uses a classical pronunciation. Our Latina Christiana CDs are ecclesiastical. (I listen to a great deal of Latin, because I am finding it gets into my head more easily.) I'm finding it pretty easy to switch back and forth. Because I am listening to a greater amount of classical I'm starting to use that more, but I (and the kids) *prefer* the sound of ecclesiastical. I think it would be fine to be able to switch back and forth.

However, since it's highly unlikely we're going to run into any Latin speakers, I feel that we don't really have to worry about it until college, if any of them take Latin in college. (I plan to!)

I know it shouldn't, but the pronunciation issue drives me crazy! I hate it when the pronunciation in LC changes from DVD to DVD, or even lesson to lesson. I feel like there should be a right way! I have noticed that LC, so far, doesn't distinguish between short and long vowels. Does anyone know if that comes in LCII?

I'm giving Latin Prep more consideration now, but I do think that I will go through LCII next year anyway. It may not be fun, but it's working.