Menu

Small school rooms?

Does anyone have pictures of their small school room? I need to re-do ours over the summer. There is just too much stuff!!! Looking for some ideas on furniture placement/organization. I don't have a huge budget, so the more creative the better:)

Does anyone have pictures of their small school room? I need to re-do ours over the summer. There is just too much stuff!!! Looking for some ideas on furniture placement/organization. I don't have a huge budget, so the more creative the better:)

When you say small, how big is your room?

Barb

10x10 or so. Right now I have 3 school desks, two computer desks, two sets of workbox shelves, and a small book shelf in there!!! Seriously, it's chaos! There is NO room!! I know I need to move some stuff out....just looking for inspiration;)

I have just the one kid, so I don't know how it would work for you, but having a single table manages our space much better than multiple desks would. I got this one from IKEA, so it folds down to almost nothing, too. And we use a laptop, so it can be put away when it's not in use.

Other than that, our small (9x9?) school room is a part-time guest room, so we have a futon sofa in there (sofa while it's a school room, bed while it's a guest room), and two large bookcases against one wall. Everything else is in crates so we can move it out if necessary.

I have just the one kid, so I don't know how it would work for you, but having a single table manages our space much better than multiple desks would. I got this one from IKEA, so it folds down to almost nothing, too. And we use a laptop, so it can be put away when it's not in use.

Other than that, our small (9x9?) school room is a part-time guest room, so we have a futon sofa in there (sofa while it's a school room, bed while it's a guest room), and two large bookcases against one wall. Everything else is in crates so we can move it out if necessary.

That's funny, I was going to suggest the same table! I have a picture of this table in my old school room back in PA. The room it's pictured in is a 12X12 but you can tell that there is plenty of room to maneuver even with the bookshelves in the corners so this arrangement would have worked in a much smaller room. I used to have one more bookshelf and some plastic storage bins in there (plus an office chair at the mommy desk), but these were taken after we pared down to list the house.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

Nope, no closet:(

That table is tempting! I love how it folds down so small.

My biggest issue is storage and workspace for me. I'm thinking maybe begging dh to build some built in bookshelves. I amjust NOT creative. When I look into the room, my head spins. I don't even know where to start!

What a lovely room! I love the big bright windows!

That's funny, I was going to suggest the same table! I have a picture of this table in my old school room back in PA. The room it's pictured in is a 12X12 but you can tell that there is plenty of room to maneuver even with the bookshelves in the corners so this arrangement would have worked in a much smaller room. I used to have one more bookshelf and some plastic storage bins in there (plus an office chair at the mommy desk), but these were taken after we pared down to list the house.

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

What a lovely room! I love the big bright windows!

Sigh...I know. I miss it. We now homeschool in a very dark blue room with dark bookcases. I don't know what I was thinking, LOL.

OP, why don't you post pictures of your room and maybe someone will inspire you?

Barb

I don't have any pictures to share because I don't know how to upload them :confused:, but in our guest room/craft room (could easily be our schoolroom), we mounted 24x24 inch white kitchen cabinets on the walls. We got them at IKEA for $10 a piece. DH mounted two rows, starting at the ceiling - 5 to a row - on the wall and then lined under them with two long tables. We have a fold-out couch for guests. All of my craft items are out of sight and the room looks very neat. It would work perfectly for a schoolroom.

I have pictures posted on my profile page and we have a very small schoolroom. I think you click on my user name and then go to my profile. It is actually our living room that we divided in half. The other half is my husband's home office. It isn't ideal but it works for us. The best idea came from putting bookshelfs back to back with one "capped" on the end due to lack of wall space - the bookshelfs and the back of my husband's desk act as our "divider".

HTH

Wow....our "school room" is the dining room (why is it actually called a dinner table when all you do is school work at it??:glare:) and part of the living room. We don't have a school room and I like it that way. It is easier to get school work done when we have to look at it rather than having it out of sight (and out of mind!). However....I do wish I had a specific area to school. Our house just doesn't allow for that though!