Menu

Children's books and age used...

Kfamily

Do you think Wind in the Willows is better as a read-aloud to the grades 1-3 crowd or better saved for older students to be analyzed such as Highlands Latin School does?

Do you think Tales for Shakespeare is better used while younger (again as a read-aloud to grades 1-3) or better saved as preparation for reading actual plays and introduced say in 6th grade?

I don't see any reason you can't do both- read it now and later. We're reading "Wind In The Willows" aloud right now with my DD who is 7, but I'm sure we will re-read it at some point when she's older. She's loving it now, but will get even more out of it later.

I used to worry about that, too, until I remembered how many books I read multiple times as I was growing up. I decided that if I felt that a certain book would make a wonderful read-aloud, I'd read it to the kids, and that wouldn't mean we could re-read the book again when they were older.

Tara

Well, personally, I hate Wind in the Willows, so I wouldn't do either.

But for lots of books, I plan to do both.....read them aloud at younger ages and then have them read them on their own later. Although there are probably a few I'll save for reading later.

Do you think Wind in the Willows is better as a read-aloud to the grades 1-3 crowd or better saved for older students to be analyzed such as Highlands Latin School does?

Do you think Tales for Shakespeare is better used while younger (again as a read-aloud to grades 1-3) or better saved as preparation for reading actual plays and introduced say in 6th grade?

I read Wind in the Willows last year to my then 1st and 4th graders. Actually, we only made it about 3/4 of the way through when we dropped it. I was surprised that none of us liked it, but we didn't. But, you could try it now and still have them read it for themselves later on.

I just recently started the Shakespeare book with my now 2nd and 5th graders. They love it. Both of them will read it for themselves around the ages of 12 when their Heart of Dakota program schedules it as an independent reader.

I agree with the others who say both.

That said, I always hated Wind in the Willows until I heard this reading on NPR last winter. It completely won me over, so I approached the book again and loved it! If you're a Wind in the Willows skeptic, I suggest giving it 22 more minutes and check out the link above. :)

Edited by Bayt ul-Hikmah

I would advocate strongly for a first exposure to The Wind in the Willows not to be for the purpose of analysis.