Menu

Wow! Singapore looks pretty tough. A few questions,please.

I just looked at the placement test for NEM 1. Ds will be in 8th grade next year but if we are going to use Singapore, he would have to start with NEM 1, even though he is in TT algebra I now. Can you tell me if the solutions are worked out for you or do you just get the answers? I struggle with math, myself, so if I am going to help ds, I need to learn it too. Are you singapore users really very impressed with it? Have your high schoolers found that it made a huge difference in the depth of learning?

My young (5th grade) ds finished up Singapore 6B sometime ago. We looked seriously at NEM, but in the end didn't choose it because of the lack of teachers support. I think Singapore is a tough program to transition into from more traditional programs like TT. The sequence is just different. I think it must be much easier to transition from Singapore into a traditional program.

I started my son in NEM 1 in 7th grade. He's better at math than I am, but when he couldn't solve a problem, I was unable to help him, as the problems are not worked out step by step in the solution manual. I wouldn't recommend NEM to a mom who isn't pretty strong in math.

We switched to Videotext in 8th grade, and it has been terrific for both of us. Everything is worked out so well, and I've been able to understand the lessons myself.

There are very excellent solution manuals for NEM 1 and 2. I proofread these for Jenny Hoerst, the author, and I know for a fact that the solutions are detailed and thorough. However, I don't believe that she proceeded on to do solution manuals for 3 and 4. I only have the first printing of these manuals, but I'm assuming that they've stayed basically the same.

http://www.singaporemath.com/New_Elem_Math_Solution_Manual_1_p/nemsm1.htm

The solutions manuals are great! You buy them separately. Only the answers are in the back of the book. There are solutions manuals for NEM1 and NEM2, and Jenny promised to help me solve anything from NEM3 that I couldn't figure out myself. So far, we've been fine, to my amazement. NEM3 seems to be a bit easier than NEM2, I think perhaps because it is introducing some new topics, not working at a high level with old ones.

There are very excellent solution manuals for NEM 1 and 2. I proofread these for Jenny Hoerst, the author, and I know for a fact that the solutions are detailed and thorough. However, I don't believe that she proceeded on to do solution manuals for 3 and 4. I only have the first printing of these manuals, but I'm assuming that they've stayed basically the same.

http://www.singaporemath.com/New_Elem_Math_Solution_Manual_1_p/nemsm1.htm

Off topic but...Last time I checked in at Singamath forums they had removed the forums in which parents ask questions about solutions and tricky bar diagrams (issue in primary grades) Is this related to the adoption of the program by California schools and they don't want the kids asking homework questions? Was it taking up too much time to answer the questions? Anyone know what happened? Only pre-purchase questions are being allowed.

but you have to log in as a member for those forums to come up. I just did that and they were all still there.

We have used Singapore from 1st grade, so I can't speak as to what it is like to transition to it from another program. I can say that it has been a great program for us, and I am not a "mathy" person. I use the solutions manuals all the time, and I find them to be very detailed and helpful in solving problems. We are in NEM 2 right now, and I honestly never thought I would make it this far. It has not been as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I do look at all the explanations with my son and help him (with the solutions manual) to solve anything he can't get. I have learned so much. I wish I had learned the Singapore way the first time around. I may have actually gotten math.

We are going into NEM 3 next year and there being no solutions manual does make me nervous. Jenny on the Singapore Math forums has said that she will help out with any problems, I just hope she doesn't regret that when I am bugging her everyday!! It does make me feel better to hear Nan in Mass say that NEM 3 is easier than NEM 2. Thanks Nan, that made my day!

Good luck with your decision. I know this is a hard one to make.

Trina

I just looked at the placement test for NEM 1. Ds will be in 8th grade next year but if we are going to use Singapore, he would have to start with NEM 1, even though he is in TT algebra I now. Can you tell me if the solutions are worked out for you or do you just get the answers? I struggle with math, myself, so if I am going to help ds, I need to learn it too. Are you singapore users really very impressed with it? Have your high schoolers found that it made a huge difference in the depth of learning?

We played around with some other things between Primary 6B and NEM 1, but it was exactly what you say above that ensured we were coming back... that another program (lots of them, not just TT), wouldn't place him out of NEM 1 after a year. So just on that basis, I feel like it's much more rigorous. We've not used the solutions manuals (yet?) but I'm mathy myself, so that probably doesn't help you at all! But I know that Jenny on the SM forums is super-fast at responding when needed.

On the depth of learning I would give it a great big thumbs-up. The story problems in particular are just as meaty as the Primary Math story problems, and the regular practice problems too are excellent. One tiny bit that I just adore (geek that I am! LOL) is that the answer to any problem is just as likely to be "-2 117/118" as it is to be "3"... no subtle hints to get you through the arithmetic! ;) Also they're very specific about when to use a calculator and when to do it by hand, which I appreciate.

It is tough, but if it's possible, I would definitely recommend it!

There are very excellent solution manuals for NEM 1 and 2. I proofread these for Jenny Hoerst, the author, and I know for a fact that the solutions are detailed and thorough.

I had the solution manual by Hoerst for NEM 1 ... Somehow, it didn't always work for me, so for that reason I would not recommend NEM for a similarly Algebra-disabled mom.