Menu

Favorite children's books grades 1-3

Kfamily

I'm dividing literature into categories and have these so far:

Fables

Fairy Tales

Poetry

Legends, Myths, Tall Tales

Children's Books (ex. Winnie the Pooh, Little House in the Big Woods, etc.)

Would you please share with me your favorites in these categories?

Thanks!

Myths - D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Fables - I love the Helen Ward illustrated Aesop, though it is not by any means complete. Her illustrations are just so gorgeous.

Fairy Tales - Anything illustrated by Kinuko Craft (also called K.Y. Craft) or Paul Zelinsky - amazing illustrations and always good retellings; Marianna Mayer retellings

Poetry - Child's Garden of Verses, especially the version illustrated by Tasha Tudor

Children's Books - Betsy-Tacy (the first four), though it's more girly than universal

I'm not sure where you'd put these, but I also love Roxaboxen (Alice McClerran, illus. Barbara Cooney - this is my all-time favorite picture book), Miss Rumphius, Blueberries for Sal, Make Way for Ducklings

I'm sure I'll think of more. I love threads like these!

Edited by Alphabetika

Beatrix Potter of course-

Milne has 2 collections of poems as well-'When We Were Very Young' and 'Now We are Six'

Picture books there are so many we love. You didn't specify just classics so authors we enjoy:

dePaola

vanAllsburg-ds really liked - 'The Sweetest Fig' and my favorite was 'The Wreck of the Zephyr'

Dahl-we especially loved the 'The Giraffe, Pelly and Me'

anything by Lobel(he has one entitled 'Fables' as well)

'Little Bear' series

Rylant- Luke LOVES the 'Henry and Mudge' books- we read 'The Cobblestreet Cousins' which I thought was good as well but it was a bit girly for him- she has lots of other books as well- another good one is 'When the Relatives Came'

'Ricka, Flicka and Dicka'- checked out these on the suggestion of an older acquaintance and dd(3) LOVED them all

There is the 'Big Blue Fairy Book' by Lang it is on my list but I don't own it (yet) :)

'Beautiful Tales from Shakespeare'

Mary Pope Osbourne (of Magic Tree House) has some on tall tales/legends

Edited by soror

Fables - Aesop's Fables, the Milo Winter version

Fairy Tales - Oxford Book of Fairy Tales, the color fairy books (The Blue Fairy Book, The Red Fairy Book, etc), virtually all of the books illustrated by KY Craft or Paul O. Zelinsky

Poetry - A Child's Garden of Verses (the one illustrated by Tasha Tudor is lovely), Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Poems to Read to the Very Young, Favorite Poems of Childhood

Legends, Myths, Tall Tales - A Child's Treasury of Literature, the D'aulaire's books (Norse Myths, Greek Myths, Book of Trolls), Fifty Famous Stories Retold

Children's Books - Raggedy Ann Stories, All-of-a-Kind Family, Betsy-Tacy, the Catwings series, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, Mirette on the High Wire, The Story About Ping, The Duchess Bakes a Cake, Black Beauty, the Robert McClosky books, Tikki-Tikki-Tembo, Pippi Longstocking, Ginger Pye, Capyboppy, James Herriot's Treasury for Children, Dr. Doolittle

Picture Books: Anything by Robert McCloskey, Tomie DePaola, Arnold Lobel, Virgina Lee Burton, William Steig, Beatrix Potter, A. A. Milne, Peter Spier, Mitsumasa Anno, and Barbara Cooney. James Herriot's Treasury for Children.

Children's Books: The Chronicles of Narnia (C. S. Lewis), The Princess and the Goblin (George MacDonald), Babe: The Gallant Pig (and other titles by Dick King-Smith), Jenny and the Cat Club (series, Esther Averill), The Real Thief and Dominic (William Steig), Homer Price (McCloskey), The Saturdays (series, Elizabeth Enright), The Moffats (series, Eleanor Estes), The Cricket in Times Square (George Selden), and Little Pear (Eleanor Frances Lattimore).

Fairy Tales: The Golden Key, The Light Princess, and others by George MacDonald.