Menu

Apologia Chemistry - alternatives?

What to do for 17 yo DD's Science?  

1. 1. What to do for 17 yo DD's Science?

• Stick with Apologia Chemistry, it'll be worth the effort
    • God's Design for Science - Chemistry
    • Real Science 4 Kids - Chemistry Lvl II
    • John Tiner - The World of Chemistry
    • Other Science Course (please indicate suggestions below)
    • Dump Science all together - let her focus on her music

Hi - we've been using Apologia for High School - one of my girls is going along fine with it, the other is not. She's 17, and we're currently working through the Chemistry text - she's completed General, Physical and Biology.

The thing is, she's just not a 'science-orientated' person. The effort that needs to go into completing this course, I feel, would be better spent elsewhere - in her case. However, I would like her to have a basic coverage of Chemistry and Physics, as we only did a hodge-podge of different science texts in primary school, so some sort of basic coverage would be great.

Basically, she's miserable. The science is a huge effort on her part, and I honestly do not see her using all this science when she finishes school. She does, however, love music, and would happily spend hours at the piano.

We do not have to worry about 'credits' for transcripts, or anything like that, here in Australia; just 'something' that provides a very basic coverage, with some labs, etc.

Any suggestions? On my shelf, I have the God's Design series, as well as Real Science 4 Kids, and some of the Tiner books. Would these cut it, or are they really too 'simple' for a 17 year old?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks!

Edited by Linda (Australia)
Adding some more info

I voted "other" because one of our sons who really detested chemistry (and didn't really need chemistry specifically) was a happy camper when we skipped it and let him take physics (Apologia) instead. You'd just need to be sure your student had the math under her belt that she needed for physics.

I'd suggest Singapore Chemistry since she won't be a chemist! It's a wonderful foundation (in case she changes her mind) and has loads of practical tidbits included int he chapters PLUS it teaches critical thinking skills which are useful for everything! paperback and inexpensive too.

Mary

paperback and inexpensive too.

And, I have it for sale on the swap board:D

I taught this a couple of years ago in our co-op and I think it's a terrific program. I particularly liked the practical applications (which are lacking in Apologia) as well as the data interpretation emphasis (also lacking in Apologia, IMO).

I am in the same boat, only my dd is going to be 16. She loves the idea of chemistry but will be overloaded with the math of Apologia. She gets labs with her dad at our co-op, so I don't even need the labs.

I have looked at the Real Science 4 Kids Level II. I also spoke with the rep at the convention. I am leaning this way. I like the look of it as it seems very straightforward. I am thinking about adding in a couple of living books (if I can find any) and the book "Elements of Faith" that I found at CBD.

I would rather her get a chem that she can understand and enjoy and learn the fundamentals of the subject than have her spend a year slogging through a tough book and not retaining anything. YMMV though:D

I got Conceptual Chemistry for my 16 yog who is very interested in photography. I've glanced over the book and it seems exactly what we need.

Can you have your dd just read through the Apologia book without doing all the labs, math, problems, and tests? If you just want some general chemistry knowledge then just reading might work.

Does she dislike it altogether and want a different text? Then Conceptual Chemistry might be just the ticket!

You can see the first chapter online... and they have little video lessons that go along with the 3rd edition.

I think the website is conceptualchemistry.com.... but, you probably need to do a search as that might not be the correct addy.

I would rather her get a chem that she can understand and enjoy and learn the fundamentals of the subject than have her spend a year slogging through a tough book and not retaining anything. YMMV though:D

Spot on - that is it, exactly!

Pam L - where do you pruchase Conceptual Chemistry? Do you think it would be helpful for someone interested in Photography, also? As I have a suspicion that'll be where she's headed - she loves photography, and has won several competitions in that field.

Are there labs with Conceptual Chemistry?

Thankyou, ladies!