Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Week 22

Today is the start of book week 22 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Have you started Book # 22 yet? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

Happy memorial Day - Thank a soldier, a vet, a cop. Anyone who fights for our safety and our freedom.

What are you reading this week?

I just started Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Finished Tess Gerritsen's The Sinner. I don't know what the difference is but there are some books I read in which the characters have no moral center and the stories are morbid and dark such as the Silent Cry versus the ones like the Sinner where the characters do have a moral center and the story line doesn't bother me as much.

Finished reading:

#29 - Power to Heal: Receiving God's Everyday Miracles, by Joan Hunter

Just started:

#30 - Eyes at the Window, by Evie Yoder Miller - a fiction Amish-based murder mystery set in the 1800's but based on a true story

Here is a serendipitous tale.

Leaving the library, I walked past the new book shelf where my attention was grabbed by a little volume, My Tango with Barbara Strozzi. It had the oddest cover: dance pattern steps, a baseball bat, a classical painting. What is this, I wondered. I read the back and was sufficiently intrigued. Then I looked at the author's other books and saw that he wrote Turtle Diary. I have not read Turtle Diary, but I loved the movie which I saw when it came out in the '80's. So I borrowed My Tango with Barbara Stozzi which has proved to be rather weird but in a fun sort of way.

Later I looked again at the list of the writer's other works. Russell Hoban is also the author of the Frances books for children:

francisrope_thumb_1.jpg

Now I have not thought of Frances books in an age but with a son going off to college soon I was struck by a wave of nostalgia for all those cuddle times on the couch with a little boy and a stack of books. Enjoy them, folks. They'll be gone too soon!

This is what a book does. It transports us not only by its content but by its associations.

Edited by Jane in NC

I read the Amazon blurb for My Tango with Barbara Strozzi, and it does sound intriguing indeed!

And, funnily enough, the Frances books were also a big hit in our house; in fact, they still figure in conversation. Today I mentioned to my husband that he was being Albert when he'd made everything come out even. And "Happy Thursday" still pops up in conversation every now and again.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished "Ella Minnow Pea" this week. It was somewhat clever. I thought of it as 'dystopian-lite', lol.

Not sure what I'll read next. I started a book of short stories by Alice Munro, but haven't finished them (& I may not finish it at this point); I'm not a huge fan of short stories.

I just requested "The Girl Who Played with Fire" from the library, but I'm #165 on the list. I decided to give it a try, even though when I read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", I wasn't overly fond of it. It was pretty graphic & brutal (& really went into a realm that I hadn't anticipated it would go, plus I was reading it when I was alone & housesitting for my sis -- the creepy factor was really magnified by my setting), so I was kind of turned off to it. But, tonight, dh & I went to see the Swedish film of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I thought it was very well done & stayed quite true to the story. Perhaps I was better able to handle it, knowing in advance where the story would go? (And for those who have read the book, I must say that the kitchen in the cottage looks *exactly* like I thought it would. :lol:) Dh thought the film was quite good too.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2735866905/

In the meantime, though, I don't know what to read. Not much has caught/kept my interest. I'd love to find a book that I could really sink into, kwim?

Week 22? I think I'm only one book behind! Thought I'd missed more than that.

I just finished our June book club book--The Echo Maker by Richard Powers. It is about a man who has a car accident and suffers a brain injury that makes him think his sister is not really his sister but an imposter. It has some interesting ideas but I think it should have been edited down to a much shorter book.

Next up: reading Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog which is our July or August book club book. I'm just starting it and so far it is short chapters that alternate between a genius 12 year old and a genius conceirge, both hiding the fact that they are geniuses. Each genius shares her profound thoughts and I was feeling kind of stupid reading it. Then I caught a mistake in it that made me feel a little better.

I just finished Panic Attack by Jason Starr. Now I'm reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. As soon as it arrives from Amazon, I'm also going to be reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese for my church book club.

I've read 17 books this year so I'm a bit behind. But I'm hoping to catch up soon!!

What did you think? I find Furst's realism transports me...

Finished now. He is a good writer. I wish I'd known about Furst when I was into this kind of novel because I would have continued on to read all of his novels like this, and I recommended Alan Furst to my Dad who was here last week. He still likes novels like that. The novel was well written really drew me in, but at this point in my life sometimes I had to take a break in certain sections in the middle. Still, I read a LOT yesterday when I could have been doing other things.

Edited by Karin

I finished Far North by Marcel Theroux. It is beautifully written, though depressing as it is a post-apocalytic tale. Can't decide if it finishes with hope or not, can't decide if it should have, either.

To balance that I dove into my first Discworld book and am chortling at the good satire and general silliness. I'm almost finished with it, The Last Continent -- a send up of things Australian and of evolution. I'm listening to an audio version, which adds to the fun as the narrator has quite a collection of voices and accents to liven it up even more.

I'm also reading, along with my ds, The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. My ds wanted to finish the year with the Vietnam War, and this book was recommended to us. It's a series of short stories, all interconnected, and all I can say is "Wow". It is powerful stuff, incredible prose, and my book worm 15yo called it the best book he's read in a long time.

My ds and I plan to tackle Moby Dick for fun this summer. Can that count as more than 1 book?!!

I read Death from the skies! by Phil Plait, a great astronomy book--it goes through all the ways the universe could kill us horribly, most of which are extremely unlikely.

I finished the Aeneid and read The Red Pyramid, and now I'm reading three heavy non-fiction books at once, so they're all going slowly. Oh, I'm nearly done with Beautiful Girlhood.

I started The Dante Club this week. So far, I'm enjoying it.

Rosie, weren't you working on St. Augustine's Confessions awhile ago? You might like this super-condensed version:

http://rinkworks.com/bookaminute/b/augustine.confessions.shtml

:lol:

(Sorry if I repeated that. I can't remember if I posted that link awhile ago or not. Ah, the fun of being middle-aged & losing your mind. :001_huh::D)