Menu

Anyone use Lingua Latina?

Have *you* studied Latin? I absolutely wouldn't even consider recommending it unless the teacher already has a pretty good familiarity with Latin (several years of high school Latin or a year or two of college, for instance -- I don't mean "has worked through a year or two of a children's Latin program"). I do think a good teacher could make it work with children that young, though it's certainly designed to be used for older kids and adults. The College Companion is very helpful.

I'm using it for myself. DS7 will be using GSWL (he will be 8) next year. I'm in an online study group, so I *think* it takes about 2 years to finish the book. I like it, but right now I'm not sure I could make it interesting to him (or explain it clearly). But by the time he finishes GSWL, I will be over 1/2 way through LL, and know more about his learning style. So check back next year!

I am combining LL with Linney's Latin Class (free online). I would NOT do LL with a child who wasn't familiar with conjugating, declining, sentence structure, etc. I would recommend a children's course for the first year, and I would be a long way ahead of the child. Probably 10+ chapters.

Check out Lonepine - the Stellae class uses LL, and its for those ages. I might have DS join, just to see how she breaks the material down for that age group.

Oh - and if you buy LL, I recommend the whole set: Familia Romana, the College Companion, the CD-Rom (audio and Exercitia) and the Colloquia Personarum. And there are some Fables to go with the book free online (Pullins website I believe).

HTH! Sorry if its scattered, DD is teething / fussing.

Amy

Edited by mtcougar832
Typo :P

Check out Lonepine - the Stellae class uses LL, and its for those ages. I might have DS join, just to see how she breaks the material down for that age group.

Oh - and if you buy LL, I recommend the whole set: Familia Romana, the College Companion, the CD-Rom (audio and Excreta) and the Colloquia Personarum. And there are some Fables to go with the book free online (Pullins website I believe).

HTH! Sorry if its scattered, DD is teething / fussing.

Amy

Stellae is for getting the kids ready for LL, she doesnt' use it with them, though. At least she didn't when my girl was in stellae. She's in 100 now and they do use LL. It's incredible. We both love the book and the class but I have to tell you, unless you are really, really good at latin already, I wouln't even consider it. Now, I havent' seen the TM so maybe there is some kind of miracle info.

We use the text book, the exercitia, the colloquium, fabula, plus a variety of other helps and materials.

(Psst, Amy! I think you mean "and Exercitia". "Excreta" is ... something else. ;))

:svengo: OOOPS! - I fixed it, thanks. (I'm blaming DD.)

You can preview the TM on amazon - it seems to be 3 parts:

1 - copyable Pensum exercises

2 - answers to Pensum

3 - answers to Exercitia

You might look at this outline for using LL in 6th, 7th and 8th. http://www.pullins.com/Books/LL/ScopeSequenceMiddleSchool.htm

Amy

Edited by mtcougar832