Menu

Tapestry of Grace OR Mystery of History???

I printed on the sample lessons of each and I've been looking them over and I just can't decide which way to go. TOG has SO MUCH to offer that it's almost overwhelming but I do like the way everything is spelled out. MOH seems a little more bare bones in comparison... Or maybe it's just because there aren't lots of fancy charts and schedules?

If we used TOG, I would skip the writing section most of the time because I want to use Writing With Ease. I like how Bible class is heavily incorporated right into history. I like that there are so many options for things to do for each lesson. I like that there are no daily lessons, that you have a whole week to get through a topic however you choose. I don't like how little actual information you seem to get on each topic... that's is almost entirely reliant on library books and outside sources. That's not completely BAD and we will be at the library constantly anyway, but part of me wants more actual history spelled out for ME before I teach it to HER. :) Part of me says it's an awful lot of money to spend when all it seems like I'm getting is a list of projects to do and books to read... Am I missing something? Is there more to it than that?

On the other hand, MOH has nicely written lessons for each topic and on a bad week when the library just doesn't happen we could get by with just the lesson out of the book and I really like that. I wish it had more project recommendations or suggested readings or SOMETHING. But once again, am I missing something? Is there more to it?

Any input is appreciated! History is a top priority for me and I'm glad to finally have it down to two choices but now I'm feeling stuck on which way to go!!!

On the other hand, MOH has nicely written lessons for each topic and on a bad week when the library just doesn't happen we could get by with just the lesson out of the book and I really like that. I wish it had more project recommendations or suggested readings or SOMETHING. But once again, am I missing something? Is there more to it?

Any input is appreciated! History is a top priority for me and I'm glad to finally have it down to two choices but now I'm feeling stuck on which way to go!!!

Hi Chelle--did you know that MOH has an appendix with book and video recommendations for each week and what age group to use them for?

I haven't used TOG, I've used mostly Sonlight--but with world history, I use MOH as our spine text and fill in with the SL books around it. I don't know if something like that would work (using MOH as a spine text with TOG), but maybe that's another idea to set your head spinning!

Merry :-)

About 3 years ago, I sat down and tried to figure out which way to go: TOG, Sonlight or MOH. I did chose MOH with additional reading. If you look at the MOH website, they have additional reading listed by quarter (if I recall correctly). I made my list based on that and Veritas Press reading list.

Honestly, for me, TOG was way to overwhelming and expensive. THe co-op moved so fast, I didn't feel like we could take our time and "settle" into a book or time period. I just could not see how to make it work for me. Others love it. Do what feels right and works best for you.

MOH is more bare bones. It is a history program. period. TOG is more involved. You can easily expand MOH by adding more readers, geography, dvds, etc. But it is not all laid out for you.

HTH some!

I do both. :rolleyes:

But let me qualify that. I love the depth of TOG. It just fits me. With the exception of my oldest who is like me the rest of the kids could care less. :001_huh:

TOG gives the dept we crave, but given the other kiddos disinterest and that I am hsing 4 kiddos with intensive programs there is no way we do TOG on TOG's schedule.

My plan for this fall (ish) is to start back with TOG year 1, using MOH and the UG spine, Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, as read alouds for everyone. Then I will also have my oldest read the D level material on her own. I just sat down this week and penciled in week 4 (I want to start with creation, so I am switching the order of TOG weeks a little-we will start with week 4) and it will take us a full two weeks to get through the material for just week 4. By the way I am dropping the Bible reading given MOH will cover most of what we need in a way that is more appealing for my younger kids. I will have my oldest read it on her own, as she has the maturity to appreciate the details.

If you love the 4 year cycle and you don't want to feel rushed at all, then MOH would probably be a better choice. You can still add, Bible is integrated and it is doable in a year. If you are willing to let go of the 4 year cycle, are able to cut stuff and not feel cheated, are super fast readers, or have more time to devote to history then TOG would be the better choice.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Heather

Hi again!!

I just looked at your sig line, are you considering history for a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old? If I am reading that correctly, you might consider MOH with SOTW. We really enjoyed MOH 2 and SOTW 2 together. I used MOH 1 as a stand alone. But, given those ages, you might want a gentler approach.

With the little ones, we like to use MOH. But I bought TOG when my youngest was in preschool and used it for 2 years. I couldn't wait!!! But it was WAY too much work for me at that stage. I think others have found a great way to simplify it for the younger years, if you dig around the boards. It helps if you don't try and do everything they suggest. :)

Now I use TOG mainly for "teacher training" and use MOH on our regular days. We love it! But I do plan on using TOG somewhere along the line in its entirety. I feel pretty blessed that we have such amazing choices to pick from.

Thanks for all the help. I am nowhere closer to a decision but it really, really, really helps to hear more about how everyone uses these programs and what works for them. I'm playing with the idea of MOH for the first four year cycle and then adding in TOG the second time around, using MOH as a spine? That way we aren't biting off more than we can chew for her age and by the second time around both kids will be doing history-- having more options and a more detailed "here's the plan!" outline would be excellent.

To clarify, it's just for my five year old. The 2.5 year old is going to regular preschool next year at our church, which will give my daughter and I some time to find our hs groove without constant interruptions :) I know a lot of people would recommend waiting another year to start history/science, etc, but she's already reading well, has amazing handwriting and can count to 100 by 1's, 2's and 10's, so I feel like sticking with traditional Kinder stuff would be a boring waste for her... I don't really know what to do with her except jump right into history and science and all that fun stuff.

I recommend using MOH. I actually purchased TOG Unit 1 for my then 5yo, intending to use MOH as a spine, but then I ended up getting overwhelmed with TOG and just went with MOH after Unit 1. I was so glad I did. I was spending more time in prep than I was in using TOG. It was way too much for my advanced 5yo. I really like TOG, though (which was why I kept at it, even though it just wasn't working), and plan to use it on Round 2. We are loving MOH so much! I use Usborne's Encyclopedia's along with MOH, but it's more just for fun. MOH Volume 1 is a much lighter read than Volume 2, so much that I haven't really supplemented with Volume 2.