Menu

TOG WA Placement Questions

I have just received TOG Y1 with Writing Aids, for my rising 10.5YODD, 9YODS and Twin7.5YODSs, to begin in the next month or so.

I have quickly looked through Unit 1, and I am not sure where to place my children in the Writing Aids program. My children haven't done a whole lot of writing. My sons have done very little and my 10.5YODD is just working on IEW Group A for Grades 4-5. I want to make sure I place my DC in the right WA level, so that they get the most benefit, with the least amount of frustration.

I thought that I had read somewhere that you should place them two levels below their grade level to start, if they don't have any writing experience. Is this true? If so, how do you move them up to grade level?

My gut is telling me that my DD should be in Level 4, my 9YODS, maybe a Level 2/3 combination and the 7.5YODS's, Level 2. I will also be using JAG for my DD, and a combination of Simply Grammar and FLL 1/2 for the boys, with a sprinkling of WWE for everyone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You should probably just go with your gut.:001_smile: You can adjust up or down as necessary if something isn't working. My dd will be 7 next year. My plan is to use level 2 of the writing assignments mostly. I will go down a level for a couple assignments that sounded better at level 1.

:iagree: go with your gut. Look at the assignments...get past the first few weeks, as WA starts slowly. Decide where they need work. Notice how some assignments are repeated annually? You can move between levels and decide on any assignment you want (something I like about WA). My dc jump b/t levels regularly so I can expose them to more genres in elementary school. *You* get to decide :)

I have been looking at WA trying to figure out where to place my dd, and I found that you really have to look at the assignments in the last unit of the year to get a feel for the level. When I did that, I could see that she did not belong where I thought she did.