Menu

Reading Eggs

My dd (3) has figured out blending so we are going to start phonics soon. She loves the Starfall site and has done everything on there. I looked at Reading Eggs, but from our trial period it seems to be too repetitive for her. Has anyone else found this to be true or did we just not have enough time to fully appreciate this program?

Thanks for any insight.

My 3yo has been using it for a couple of weeks. She really enjoys some of the activities but doesn't like the really repetitive ones. However, she knows she can't get to the next set of activities until she finishes the first, which is usually enough motivation for her. :)

We're doing a trial good until 9/1/10 with a code someone posted a couple weeks back. You may be able to find it if you search. I'm thinking that after playing with it for the summer, she'll be bored, but then we're not out any money! There are also lots of "fun" games besides the reading lessons, and as you earn eggs for going through the lessons you can take your avatar to the store to buy new things for it. My 3yo loves this part after watching her big sis play Webkinz a few times!

It's repetitive, but Kit is often hugely entertained by the peekaboo effect of clicking on the 'an', 'see', 'd' (you name it) and getting something to show up and she LOVES collecting the little critters. Those critters have been her motivation thus far in getting to about lesson 25.

I can't get her to repeat anything, but she hasn't needed to yet (er... because of the occasionally mind-numbing repetition ;)). And while she's enjoyed reading her first couple of books she also gets tired after a few pages. One thing that irritates me is that many of the beginning books are unsuitable for them to read themselves. However, on the plus side, Kit just this morning read the word beach unprompted, so it's definitely improving her reading skills while we're on hiatus from OPGTR for the summer.

What a funny mixed review this is. Perhaps I should simply say that it's amazing because it's free until Sept1. We're really enjoying it, but I don't see it as more than a couple-month venture to have some fun with reading and to reinforce what we've been working on in playschool.

I should probably add, that if she likes it enough to continue in Sept, I'll definitely be shelling out the money for it in the fall simply because it's far more entertaining for me than webkinzjr (which was our previous computer 'minutes' activity) ;)