Menu

Pls help me brainstorm Spanish phrases in popular culture like "Yo quiero Taco Bell"

I am trying to write an info sheet for parents on how to help your child learn/study Spanish if you don't know it. I want to start out with the idea that most people do know Spanish even if they think they don't. I am going to list some "loan words" but I also want to list some commercials, songs, TV shows that made a Spanish phrase popular.

So far I have:

Aye, caramba! from the Simpsons

El Nino - weather pattern

Yo quiero Taco Bell -- commercial

El Pollo Loco -- restaurant

Can you think of any other (not so much words but songs, commercials, phrases that are used in popular culture?)

Guest Virginia Dawn
I am trying to write an info sheet for parents on how to help your child learn/study Spanish if you don't know it. I want to start out with the idea that most people do know Spanish even if they think they don't. I am going to list some "loan words" but I also want to list some commercials, songs, TV shows that made a Spanish phrase popular.

So far I have:

Aye, caramba! from the Simpsons

El Nino - weather pattern

Yo quiero Taco Bell -- commercial

El Pollo Loco -- restaurant

Can you think of any other (not so much words but songs, commercials, phrases that are used in popular culture?)

Que sera, sera- song

Adios amigos- phrase

La Cucaracha- song

Another: Mi casa es su casa. No problema. Ya, hombre! Si, senorita.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Callete la boca (shut up)

Oooh, you would be in so much trouble in my husband's first grade classroom. LOL. :lol:

I don't even speak Spanish but I've learned this one by osmosis living in CA. Sometimes I hear the nicer "cierra la boca" but not remotely as often.

Quien sabe? (to anything that is a mystery...who knows?)

Dios sabe. (God knows)

Asi es la vida. (that's life)

and one of my favorites, although I can't say it is popular. I heard a preacher use it many times in a sermon....

Estamos en acuerdo? (are we in agreement?)

and also Adelante! (forward!)

I love spanish, but didn't study...learned it by listening and paying attention while living in Honduras for a year. Great fun to learn a language that way.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Gracias, chicas!

Excelente!

(Who knows the slang word for a bunch of older women in Spanish? :D)

Not one word, but:

How about "las senoras mejoras?" :-)