Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unsinkable

Pls help me brainstorm Spanish phrases in popular culture like "Yo quiero Taco Bell"

I am trying to write an info sheet for parents on how to help your child learn/study Spanish if you don't know it. I want to start out with the idea that most people do know Spanish even if they think they don't. I am going to list some "loan words" but I also want to list some commercials, songs, TV shows that made a Spanish phrase popular.

So far I have:

Aye, caramba! from the Simpsons

El Nino - weather pattern

Yo quiero Taco Bell -- commercial

El Pollo Loco -- restaurant

Can you think of any other (not so much words but songs, commercials, phrases that are used in popular culture?)

Hasta (sp) la vista (again, sp), baby. You know, that one from one of those Terminator movies? That's all I have right now.

My daughter is currently living in Costa Rica, and "Pura Vida" is THE saying there! This is the definition:

Pura vida literally means "pure life", but the meaning is closer to "full of life", "purified life", "this is living!", "going great", or "cool!" It can be used as a greeting, as a word of farewell, to express satisfaction, or to politely express indifference when describing something.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I am trying to write an info sheet for parents on how to help your child learn/study Spanish if you don't know it. I want to start out with the idea that most people do know Spanish even if they think they don't. I am going to list some "loan words" but I also want to list some commercials, songs, TV shows that made a Spanish phrase popular.

So far I have:

Aye, caramba! from the Simpsons

El Nino - weather pattern

Yo quiero Taco Bell -- commercial

El Pollo Loco -- restaurant

Can you think of any other (not so much words but songs, commercials, phrases that are used in popular culture?)

Que sera, sera- song

Adios amigos- phrase

La Cucaracha- song

Another: Mi casa es su casa. No problema. Ya, hombre! Si, senorita.

Song lyrics would probably give you a number of catchy recognizable phrases.

Ay dios mio.

Vaya con dios.

Ah chihuahua.

We say some of the ones already mentioned. But then we say lots of foreign phrases and movie lines.

:001_smile:

Hasta (sp) la vista (again, sp), baby. You know, that one from one of those Terminator movies? That's all I have right now.

:lol: That's mine, too--said, of course, as only the "governator" can say it.

Callete la boca (shut up)

Oooh, you would be in so much trouble in my husband's first grade classroom. LOL. :lol:

My sisters and I say "hola chica" when saying hello. At work we sometimes say "I am going to the banyo (sp) instead of saying bathroom"

I don't even know how we got started on that one.

Callete la boca (shut up)

Oooh, you would be in so much trouble in my husband's first grade classroom. LOL. :lol:

I don't even speak Spanish but I've learned this one by osmosis living in CA. Sometimes I hear the nicer "cierra la boca" but not remotely as often.

Quien sabe? (to anything that is a mystery...who knows?)

Dios sabe. (God knows)

Asi es la vida. (that's life)

and one of my favorites, although I can't say it is popular. I heard a preacher use it many times in a sermon....

Estamos en acuerdo? (are we in agreement?)

and also Adelante! (forward!)

I love spanish, but didn't study...learned it by listening and paying attention while living in Honduras for a year. Great fun to learn a language that way.

Cinco de Mayo

salsa

marguerita

huevos rancheros

guacamole

Now I am hungy for Mexican food..... Mucho gracias for a fun thread!

Guest Virginia Dawn
Gracias, chicas!

Excelente!

(Who knows the slang word for a bunch of older women in Spanish? :D)

Not one word, but:

How about "las senoras mejoras?" :-)

si se puede (yes, we can or yes it is possible). Maybe it's regional, but I see it everywhere here. Every soccer tournament dd is in I see it shoe polished on a car. ;)

It came from a Disney movie a few years ago and it is very common here now.