Menu

Literature Guides...A couple of questions

I have seen a lot people asking about literature guides for all different types of books.

I have never used one and am wondering if there is a benefit to using one, versus asking my own questions and using the questions in the WTM?

I have seen a lot people asking about literature guides for all different types of books. I have never used one and am wondering if there is a benefit to using one, versus asking my own questions and using the questions in the WTM?

We didn't use literature guides for individual books until high school. And many people never use them at all, very successfully sticking with their own questions, WTM and WEM questions.

I come from a literature and film analysis background, so I'm pretty good at asking questions, analyzing, and drawing DC into discussion as we go, BUT... I also like some lit. guides because they can often provide:

- helpful background information on the author, his/her times

- helpful background information on the times/culture/politics in which the work is set

- helpful discussion/teaching text about various types of literary terms/elements found in the work

- especially with poetry (not my forte), helpful analysis of rhythm, meter, structure, visual and sound elements, and themes

- analysis through themes, symbolism, characters, etc. that I didn't see

- questions that end up being a helpful "springboard" into our own discussion

- ideas for writing assignment ideas or activities

We find that the farther along we are in our Great Books journey, the less we rely on lit. guides, the more we see things never mentioned in the guides, and are more and more coming to view lit. guides as more of a handy starting point -- and some guides are more helpful than others. Also, we do a number of works "solo" with no guides at all each year.

Enjoy your literature journey, however you decide to go! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

We've used literature guides from Progeny Press, L-I-T, and Total Language Plus.

They all have good comprehension questions and vocabulary practice. TLP has spelling too.

I like them because I don't have to read every single book they read and/or they can do the questions on their own.

We've used literature guides from Progeny Press, L-I-T, and Total Language Plus.

They all have good comprehension questions and vocabulary practice. TLP has spelling too.

I like them because I don't have to read every single book they read and/or they can do the questions on their own.

Jen, do you have a preference when choosing TLP or PP? I've only used TLP and liked it. But, I am liking the titles that PP will be offering for my highschooler. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Arlene