Menu

Would you move to a virtual academy if cost were a factor?

We have always done more costly teacher intensive programs. I began purchasing materials for my children in March and have all the SL Core materials for them. I usually then continue to purchase from now through the summer as we can. We have found out two things, a charter virtual academy may or may not be available to some of my children, and my DH's company is looking at a lengthy strike or lockout coming in two weeks. My MIL said to jump on the virtual academy, they would provide materials, but I also would loose the ability to adapt to my individual children, which is the whole reason we homeschool.

The biggest factor right now will be cost. If everything happens as expected with my DH's company life is going to get really really rough. We have very little savings right now as our focus has been on eliminating debt. The virtual charter will only be accepting applications for a very limited time.

We have always done more costly teacher intensive programs. I began purchasing materials for my children in March and have all the SL Core materials for them. I usually then continue to purchase from now through the summer as we can. We have found out two things, a charter virtual academy may or may not be available to some of my children, and my DH's company is looking at a lengthy strike or lockout coming in two weeks. My MIL said to jump on the virtual academy, they would provide materials, but I also would loose the ability to adapt to my individual children, which is the whole reason we homeschool.

The biggest factor right now will be cost. If everything happens as expected with my DH's company life is going to get really really rough. We have very little savings right now as our focus has been on eliminating debt. The virtual charter will only be accepting applications for a very limited time.

What kind of VA is it? What are their expectations and requirements? Do THEY provide specific curriculum for your children (eg K12) or do you get to pick? Why wouldn't you be able to customize things for your kids? How old are your kids?

It really just depends on the details. We're using one next year and I'm looking forward to it, but I wouldn't if it took me out of the driver's seat, kwim?

You could always apply to the VA now, take your time to think things through and then withdraw if you change your mind. It's not a binding agreement.

:grouphug: Good luck!

I would not. I would look at really utilizing the resources I own, finding what free items were available, and scouring thrift stores, garages sales and such. And using the library.

I've even bartered household items for homeschool material.

Having just come out of the K12 virtual academy with my daughters, I would probably try to come up with stuff on my own depending on the ages of your children. I had two in the virtual academy and trying to juggle all that was required of them was difficult and one of my girls was only doing 1/2 day Kindergarten. For each grade level, each kid will have all of their own work to do, separate from each other. So, if you are used to combining kids with SL cores for history or any other topic, keep in mind that each grade level would have their own so you could potentially be responsible for 5 different plans for each subject (if all your kids are school age), that includes art, etc. The free stuff is really nice (at least from K12) but I would really consider what the trade offs are going to be for you and for them.

If we were talking about middle school or high school, I would consider a VA, depending on what curriculum they used and their expectations.

For the younger set, you could almost tread water until your finances perk up or use a LOT of the library.

Having been in a VA before, I absolutely would not. I would rather beg, borrow and steal (well...not steal) to get the curriculum that I needed. Our VA used K12 and each child had to be on their own level and so I had 4 different levels of History, science, art, music, math, la, etc. going on at once. Talk about insanity! I would rather downsize my current curriculum to a less expensive choice or purchase it in "pieces" or borrow from a friend, etc. Have you checked into booksamaritan.com? I've never used it but hear wonderful things. You send in a request for curriculum and they see if they can find what you need. It's free/need-based.

Nope. There are so many free resources out there, I would much rather go it alone than give up my freedom of choice to join a VA. It takes more time and effort to pull together your own curriculum (which I do anyway), but the freedom and flexibility are totally worth it.

Jackie

Sorry, but you're really going to listen to your *MIL* on schooling advice??? I like my MIL, but I NEVER ask her for schooling advice. It's not her responsibility, and the buck doesn't stop with her if it doesn't work out. You need to go look at your cyber options and decide for yourself. In our state the cyber schools are state-funded and offer lots of perks. For some people they're terrific, solving problems they have with the mom pulling off harder subjects and higher levels. For some kids it's a perpetual battle and misfit. It doesn't SOUND like a preformatted cyberschool like that would fit you, but only you can decide that for yourself. You have to decide if you're willing to set aside all your tendency to tweak and actually DO what somebody else tells you. They don't exactly give you the materials. They give you the materials with a whole bunch of strings attached. You have to know yourself and know what point you're at in that spectrum and whether *you* are willing to come under that. It's not just your kids but how *you* will do with it. And that won't be like anyone else, because it's specific to you.

I only mention all that because I've finally realized that the reason I never stuck with WP, SL, or any of the other prescheduled things I tried over the years was because I didn't totally need that or want that, I wasn't in a place where I was willing to come under that. So if you aren't, then you're going to find yourself giving up what you value most to get what you value least (someone else's curriculum).

And I'm with Corraleno and the others. In a pinch, you can homeschool for WAY LESS than you probably do. It just requires more creativity and thought. If you go to some used sales this summer, you can probably pick up everything you need for a song. If you sell off a lot of what you have and are done with, you can fund your future purchases. As with all good design, it's the challenges and limitations that bring out the creativity. You'll be fine. :)

If we were talking about middle school or high school, I would consider a VA, depending on what curriculum they used and their expectations.

For the younger set, you could almost tread water until your finances perk up or use a LOT of the library.

Those ages would make me consider it strongly too. I'd do some serious research and see if you can talk to people that do use it to see if it's something that would work for your family. I'd certainly make sure you know how easy it is to jump ship if needed.

It depends on whether it provides a stipend for curriculum that I can spend how I choose or whether it's like the K12 ones where I'd have to use their curriculum.

I only know a few people who really like CAVA and have stuck with it, and a *TON* of people who switched from CAVA to a more flexible charter, private ISP, or just filing their own private school affadavit.

The only information they have given is that the materials would be K12. There has been no information released yet on placement, accountability or requirements. They are severly limiting numbers for the coming year and only taking about 350 students statewide.

I am taking everyone's advice and taking inventory, what I have, what I need, and what I could possibly sell.

IF you are looking that the VA as a way to be a little more flexible with you and DH for a year, I could understand how this might be appealing. For example, if your dh loses his job, one of the two of you (or maybe both) may have to work to keep things afloat. If you have to work, and dh isn't the best at fulfilling the teacher role, the VA could be a real benefit. If you and dh both are working opposite hours to keep the kids home, it could also be a real benefit to eleviate any inconsistencies between teachers.

Flexibility may not be the best word. You will have to do things "their way". There may or may not be a whole lot of flexibility in schedules - it really depends on the VA. There might be online classes a student must log in for at specific times. Yet it won't take much planning on your part, as a parent. You won't be responsible for obtaining resources. You would be more available to do things other than "teach."

And yes, you should be able to unenroll the children at any point of the year if your needs change, or even before the "school year" starts.

If I thought I might want to do it and enrollment was limited, I'd go ahead and sign up. You can always decided not to use the VA after all, but if you decide to use it and didn't sign up within the window, you wouldn't have the option anymore.

You can try out the VA to see if you like it, there is no harm in that. You can read reviews online to see what problems other families have encountered. Join yahoogroups for the VA to see what others think about them. You can check out their website, review their materials to see if they agree with your style. If you don't like it after you tried it, no worries, just withdraw your children. It won't be the end of the world, there will still be cheap and free resources available to you. This way you gave it a try and know it is not an option for you. If however the thought of using a VA makes you very uncomfortable, it is your decison to make and no one is forcing you. Money is not needed to provide you children with a quality education. These boards are wonderful about showing where great resources can be found.

Just so you know, when I used a K12 VA, they allowed me to combine my then-

1st grader and 3rd grader in 2nd grade history and art to make it easier on me. They also allowed my 1st grader to take 2nd grade LA and math (he placed into them with K12's placement tests). The curriculum was great, and we had a couple of really good years with it.

I know some VAs are a lot more rigid than others, but it might be worth looking into.

I agree with the other posters that you could always enroll just to guarantee yourself a spot in case it's the route that you decide to take. I enrolled my DS in our state's VA during open enrollment because I was tempted by the "free" curriculum. However, the more that my husband and I thought about it we knew that it was definitely the wrong decision for us. When I called to remove him from the VA I was on hold for 25 minutes before I got to speak to someone. By that point I had no doubt that we were doing the right thing for us.

You need to ask yourself whether or not the school's educational philosophy and goals match yours. Does the school have a plan to modify/change curriculums if it doesn't work for your child's learning style? Do you really want to give up the freedom that you have with your homeschool status? Will you be bothered that you have to be accountable to the state for your child's education? Every family will have a different answer to these questions. There's certainly not a right or wrong answer. You have to do what is best for your family. I know that you're facing a terribly tough decision right now. Good luck to you as you search to find the best path for you and your family!!

"The only information they have given is that the materials would be K12. There has been no information released yet on placement, accountability or requirements."

Run, do not walk, away from this situation. We used a K12 virtual academy that was in its second year of operation, and in addition to the fundamental inferiority of the curriculum, dealing with the newbie administration as they tried to figure out how to run things was a whole 'nother headache.

I hear that K12 coursework in the higher grades can be a really good fit for some kids, and I'm glad the option exists, but for littles? Fluff and busywork. If the SL core is your idea of appropriate curriculum, then you are operating your homeschool at a higher level than K12, and you will do better by your kids to use the library and have a nice old-fashioned year of reading, writing and arithmetic.

In Florida, when the child is junior or senior high age they are able to take extra classes through virtual school. They can take as few or as many as desired so it makes for a very good option in my opinion. If I wasn't able to afford a complete curriculum I certainly would consider this as an option. Honestly, I am already considering signing DS up for one class. In earlier grades I think it would be easier to get by on what I have and the library. Another great option would be Ambelside online.

I faced that question about our upcoming school year. We use Keystone National High School and the total cost per child is going to be $8,000 to earn their diploma. DH is absolutely insisting on an accredited diploma and based on our experiences getting information from Georgia colleges about homeschoolers, I now agree. So when my state county sent me a flyer about a new program that would be public school at home AND let a child earn an accredited state of Georgia high school diploma, it was a really difficult decision to make. In the end, we chose to remain homeschoolers and just find a way to pay for our programs. I just can't accept the restrictions that being a school-at-home family would bring. We love the flexibility of doing school on our time and having 365 days to finish a school year.

For me, cost IS a factor...and I have the option of K12...I choose to do my own thing. Granted, my dc are very young still.

I think I *might* consider it for a dc who was very independent to begin with....and in high school.

Around these parts, "flexible k12" means Christians are allowed to skip evolution in science books, you can take the level of math/LA that you test at, and you can do the lessons on your own timetable so long as you aren't "x" many days behind.:glare:

I need flexible as in, "this material doesn't work - let's ditch it and find what does!"

I've got a ds who has some learning quirks too, so there is no way on this earth I would willingly put him through k12...it would be a terrible fit for him. I've heard from others that Kindergarten seatwork in K12 is just ridiculously LONG! That is just the opposite of my philosophy.

Nope. I know that I can homeschool for very little money if necessary. All I need is a library card and an internet connection.

...... and you will do better by your kids to use the library and have a nice old-fashioned year of reading, writing and arithmetic.

:iagree:

money has always been tight around here. Combine that with a non book loving husband and I have been very creative with using the least expensive way.

If you all ready have lots of SL, than use that for everything. Copy passages out of books for handwriting practice, pick words appropriate for your kids levels for them to define,spell and use in a sentence. History is as simple as have them read books and write a paper for their level every so often. each grade can write something every week from narrating two sentences for the youngest to several pages for the oldest levels.

For science one year, we went to the library and every two weeks borrowed a science book and did the experiments out of it and then studied the concepts behind it.

For math, you may be surprised at what books you can get from the library or interlibrary loan. Saxon was one we could get. While not ideal for us, we checked it out regularly for awhile until I could get a cheap copy of what I wanted.

Highschool is a little more creative but is still doable.

Go with what you have on hand and you can always pm me for ideas to make it work. yes, it is more work for you but it can be done for virtually nothing. Especially if you have stuff on hand on all ready. One time, we even had to just read off the computer screen and do math orally because I didn't have the money that week for ink for the printer. It can be done!

One time, we even had to just read off the computer screen and do math orally because I didn't have the money that week for ink for the printer. It can be done!

This made me smile, I can only print in gray scale right now because my printer will run out of color ink and quit printing, pay day isn't until the end of the week. :)

You guys are giving me some much needed assurance and inspiration. The PAL from the VA is supposed to call tomorrow. The problem is, there is no one to talk to who has used this program, this is their first year. I am working on plans with what I have on the shelves so my DH and I will discuss this at length tonight.

No, not if I had a library and the internet.