Menu

a few questions for 3.5 yo sponge

Aoife

So DS is a learning sponge and LOVES doing "school" His most favorite part of the day is when he gets to go to his special desk and work with mommy with workbooks and such. He knows all of his letter sounds and can read/sound out CVC words and loves to point out box starts with b and so on. So my first question is can we start all about spelling at this point? He wants more workbooky and activity stuff to do other then OPGTR and readers. He has already torn through evan moore books and the explode the code that I have.

Second this kid loves math, loves to recognize groups ect. He would do math and play math games all day long if i let him :) So we have been dabbling in RS A testing the waters so to speak and I think we are going to get going on it. He has already completed most of SM EB A std ed. He plays with rods but we are still having issues (mostly mommy is having issues) figuring this miquon thing out. It is ok to pretty much do full RS with SM since we are planning to go full SM after level C or so?

we've been doing some thames and kosmos stepping into science experiments but DS has asked for workbooks :p Has anyone used the SM earlybird science? is it good for little ones?

He watches his big sisters write and he tries his best to copy them. He has gone through a gillion workbooks from WM doing tons of mazes and tracing letter ( he does really well for being so young) Should I try introducing some writing to him? If so I have looked at HWT and zaner blosser does anyone have any input either way?

DS is my first born so I am new to this and he is begging me almost constantly to do "school" and asking many questions and wanting to do so many things so I don't want to tell him no or that he needs to be older when I know that he is mentally ready for it now. KWIM?

Guest RecumbentHeart

I don't know the answers to your specific questions and this is totally OT, sorry, but I was checking out your blog and was thinking "Earth Yarn ... that sounds awfully familiar ..." So I was thinking and thinking, trying to stir up some connecting memory when I noticed the link to DSD on the other side of your blog. :P

Your blog is gorgeous btw.

Oh, I will say that my DS started writing at about that age. He started forming the letters all over the place - in the air with his hands, on the floor with objects to give a couple examples - so I taught him proper letter formation with simple coloring tracers you can find online and giving him opportunities to copy words in a notebook. My guy's a bit of a worksheet guy too.

So DS is a learning sponge and LOVES doing "school" His most favorite part of the day is when he gets to go to his special desk and work with mommy with workbooks and such. He knows all of his letter sounds and can read/sound out CVC words and loves to point out box starts with b and so on. So my first question is can we start all about spelling at this point? He wants more workbooky and activity stuff to do other then OPGTR and readers. He has already torn through evan moore books and the explode the code that I have.

Second this kid loves math, loves to recognize groups ect. He would do math and play math games all day long if i let him :) So we have been dabbling in RS A testing the waters so to speak and I think we are going to get going on it. He has already completed most of SM EB A std ed. He plays with rods but we are still having issues (mostly mommy is having issues) figuring this miquon thing out. It is ok to pretty much do full RS with SM since we are planning to go full SM after level C or so?

we've been doing some thames and kosmos stepping into science experiments but DS has asked for workbooks :p Has anyone used the SM earlybird science? is it good for little ones?

He watches his big sisters write and he tries his best to copy them. He has gone through a gillion workbooks from WM doing tons of mazes and tracing letter ( he does really well for being so young) Should I try introducing some writing to him? If so I have looked at HWT and zaner blosser does anyone have any input either way?

DS is my first born so I am new to this and he is begging me almost constantly to do "school" and asking many questions and wanting to do so many things so I don't want to tell him no or that he needs to be older when I know that he is mentally ready for it now. KWIM?

I don't know the answers to many of your questions as I haven't used some of the curriculum. I think you could start anything you wish, as long as he is asking for it. I have an almost 4 year old who loves school and has since he was 2. Mine is not ready for writing but is doing math, more than half way through OPGTR, and doing other subjects.

Good luck figuring it out ! :)

Yes, you could certainly start AAS. I am using various levels with all 3 of my kiddos ATM.

For handwriting we don't use a formal curric. I just show them and have them trace over or do their own. I basically started when they asked to learn to write. HWT is a solid program and received good reviews and would be my first choice if my DC had any trouble and needed a curric IYKWIM.

I don't think it matters which maths you go with so long as he enjoys it. We love Miquon :) but if you are having trouble with it go with what you are comfortable.

I guess the most important thing is to do it on his terms until he is about K age and then start becoming more formal in terms of day to day requirements.

Some kids just like workbooks. Nothing wrong with that! My oldest was that way. He went through all of the ETC series by his 4th bday.

I like HWT. I don't know a lot about the other things you've mentioned, but go with your gut. If your gut is wrong, eat a brownie and try something else. Kids are usually pretty good about telling you what they want.

HWT is a great program and once my DS finished it, his handwriting really took off.

I would continue the ETC books. It is a great phonics based program that leaves very few gaps. Use ETC as your spelling program until he finishes the books. Get Bananagrams for a fun way to practice spelling. Also, check out spellingcity.com

Google - worksheets for kids - lots of free sites

Remember to let him have lots of playtime, too. You can find fun science activities on-line.

Have fun. Sounds like he will keep you on your toes. :001_smile: