Menu

Who contacts admissions? Parent or student?

Beebalm

I've been working like mad on course descriptions and transcript updates for the past week in preparation for dd college search. She will be a senior in the fall. She's taken all the tests (ACT, PSAT, SAT) and is quite strong academically. However, according to this board and Homeschooling High School, we're behind in establishing personal contact with potential universities. She's been bombarded by college mailings as I know all seniors are. We're all a bit overwhelmed but trying to not be intimidated by the whole process. Here's my question: Who should contact admissions offices? Should I as her guidance counselor/parent or should my dd initiate the contact? What in particular do I need to ask for/about? Aps, requirements, and descriptions are available online, are they not? (See how clueless I am?) Another question: She has really high scores but wants to take the SAT and ACT one more time to see if she can bump it up another notch. Is is a mistake to give them her current scores verbally? TIA

I think this depends on the college. One college we spoke to pretended I didn't exist and were obviously unhappy when on the college visit I tried to get some information out of them (the sorts of questions that a guidance councilor would deal with in a high school). At the other extreme was the college where my sons currently are. They were happy to talk to me about everything from whether there was snowboarding within easy reach to what they needed from my older son (out of high school for a few years) to whether the younger son's undated, ungraded transcript would be ok. My sons made various phone calls as well, but I made the guidance councilor-ish ones. I did say when I introduced myself that I was acting as guidance councilor for both of them and why. This college actively manages its parents GRIN even after the students have been accepted. There were various colleges in between those two extremes, ones who aimed most of their material at the students but made some provision for dealing with parents. When it came to initial "please send me information" communications, I had my sons do it. Then I asked questions about the paperwork I myself would be filling out. Then my sons asked questions about their applications, what CC classes they should take, and the acceptance process. For what it is worth, I wouldn't hesitate to contact a state school, but I would think twice about contacting a small private one. (And I did all the work at first for CC, but gradually had my son take over dealing with them. By the time he applied to college, he was running around getting letters of recommendation and his transcript, etc., on his own.

-Nan

The small private schools we contacted didn't have any trouble talking to me. Also, I think my daughter had decided early on that she might not be interested in a school that didn't want to talk to me. She wants my advice and wouldn't trust a school that didn't want me involved.

However, she has done most of the emailing herself.

As far as initial contact is concerned, she just started things off by submitting her application.

The small private schools we contacted didn't have any trouble talking to me. Also, I think my daughter had decided early on that she might not be interested in a school that didn't want to talk to me. She wants my advice and wouldn't trust a school that didn't want me involved.

However, she has done most of the emailing herself.

As far as initial contact is concerned, she just started things off by submitting her application.

I agree, I would be worried about a school if they did not want to talk to me. What if they get sick, or something happens, if there is no communication, I wouldnt pay for dc to go there.

I agree, I would be worried about a school if they did not want to talk to me. What if they get sick, or something happens, if there is no communication, I wouldnt pay for dc to go there.

There is a form that allows schools to talk to parents about all things academic; the federal guideline student's privacy rights is called FERPA, so the form is called something like a FERPA release form. The student must sign it to give the school permission to talk to the parents, in case, say, a student is no longer attending classes, or has dropped classes and is no longer a full or part-time student, or continues to be at risk academically.

Colleges have less leeway to talk to parents about a student's health, mental health, or residence issues, and there is no form for release of such information. However, they promised that if it was serious, they would find a way to keep parents in the loop.

At the initial orientation before dd's class registration, the dean of students asked parents to excerise any and all possible influence to get their student to sign the release form, since the school wanted to be able to communicate with parents.

I contacted colleges and universities when I needed to find out what my boys had to do IF they wanted to go there. I also set up/organized visits prior to applying (check out visits). Once my oldest decided where he wanted to apply, he did all the contact. We expect to do the same with my middle and younger sons.

If a college doesn't want to talk with me, we won't even consider it. That hasn't happened yet and we did a wide range of searching to start with for my oldest (public, private, small, large, etc). All colleges/unis I contacted were very quick to respond (and friendly).

With regards to SAT/ACT, if the scores are in the top 25% of students, I'd feel free to verbally share them as she'd definitely be a desired student (NOT necessarily accepted, but definitely a desired candidate). If not, I'd wait to see if they came up with the retest.

I would think both parent and student should contact them. As the parent/teacher I would contact them to find out about transcript details and that sort of thing. But I think someone going to college should fill out their own applications, ask questions about student services, get their letters of recommendation sent, etc. I worked at a university for 5 years, but never in admissions so I'm not sure how involved parents usually are.

I do know that once a student turned 18, we were not permitted to share any information about them with anyone, even parents and spouses, unless they signed a form granting permission. We also were not allowed to answer questions over the phone - anyone could call and say they were a parent. This could get frustrating for out-of-town parents, but 18 is legally an adult, so it is up to them to share information with their parents.

Now, what I found really weird was moms calling to take care of business for their graduate students. Really? This guy is going for a grad degree and can't fill out his own forms or call me himself? :confused: Maybe my perspective is skewed b/c my mom was never involved in my education at any level.

I did call and will call with some things I consider a parent's role or a GC role. Like I get the info for homeschool applicants if it isn't stated clearly on the web page or we haven't gotten it before like at a college fair. I have also coordinated college visits though much of that is done online now. I do think I had to call one or two because of some problem or scheduling question. I expect dd to call or more likely email counselors with regards to her questions. She has many and if she doesn't find the info on the website, she will email the admissions counselor.