Menu

Tell me about Miquon ...

I've seen it mentioned here and there, but until a few minutes ago, I never bothered to look it up. Why is it so inexpensive (compared to say... MUS or other hands-on curricula)? Is it a full curriculum, or is it a supplement? Cathy Duffy says it's for grade 3 or less, but that it has higher level concepts. Do you agree? What level(s) did you use it for?

One more question... how does it compare to RightStart for a VS learner? Is RS a full curriculum?

Edited by 2smartones

I've seen it mentioned here and there, but until a few minutes ago, I never bothered to look it up. Why is it so inexpensive (compared to say... MUS or other hands-on curricula)? Is it a full curriculum, or is it a supplement? Cathy Duffy says it's for grade 3 or less, but that it has higher level concepts. Do you agree? What level(s) did you use it for?

One more question... how does it compare to RightStart for a VS learner? Is RS a full curriculum?

If you do a search on the general board, you'll find lots about Miquon.

You could use either Miquon or RightStart as a full curriculum, or as a supplement. I'm using both together and I'm not sure which is supplementing which. The two programs are very different in day-to-day life. RightStart is fully scripted. Miquon is very free-form. RightStart has a heavy emphasis on place value. Miquon has a heavy emphasis on performing operations on numbers.

I think Miquon is so inexpensive because it is just 6 workbooks, 3 teacher books, and non-exclusive manipulatives. It was also written several decades ago. All of the books, except for the Lab Sheet Annotations are very slim. Miquon doesn't use many manipulatives, mostly just Cuisenaire rods, which are inexpensive. On the other hand, RightStart has thick books and lots of manipulatives, and was written much more recently.

We love Miquon at our house! :) It is complete on its own, but also blends very well with our living math approach (games, math art, rightstart books, etc.)

We love Miquon at our house! :) It is complete on its own, but also blends very well with our living math approach (games, math art, rightstart books, etc.)

:iagree:I use Miquon as a supplement, but it could easily stand on its own.

I think it's a great program for an advanced learner because it doesn't pigeon-hole them into a S&S. My ds often turns his addition pages into multiplication pages (by demonstrating that 3+3 is the same as 2x3 or that 8+2 is the same as 4x2 + 1x2 which is the same as 5x2). He comes up with this on his own by exploring with the rods.

I do use Singapore and Horizons with it, but that's only because: 1. I need something more methodical as a teacher and I'm paranoid about gaps and 2. my ds likes to do a lot of math each day, year-round. I plan on replacing Miquon with LOF when we're finished with all 6 books.