Menu

Oregon!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would have been fun! We'll have to meet up some other time:-)

We have our Oregon "social group" and we've talked about all meeting up...course...I think some of us are talking w/o kids:-) But, whatever we do, I'm sure we'll post it on here, too!

Carrie:-)

I'll join the social group- I'm not an Oregonian yet, but will be in the in a few months. My husband is already there trying to make a go of our business. I would love to meet-up on an upcoming visit. I am thinking about taking the kids camping here http://www.campdakota.com/home maybe we'll stay in a Yurt. Have you ever heard of it? I'll post when I'm heading down your way- I'd love to meet-up somewhere- even a park day would be great.:001_smile:

I have heard of it. I'm pretty sure that it's the one that a family in our (kinda old) church... his father owns it... I've never been but our youth group goes up there....There's an inside play place in Salem...and also some decent McDonalds...and if it's a warm enough day...we have a really nice park in Silverton (close to where you'd be camping)

I don't know if you'd be at all interested...but our homeschool group uses Classical Conversations for our weekly program....we meet on Wednesdays....(It's tuition based) we also have free practicums...the next one for us is in June (in Portland) the actual practicum is free...although if you want to do kids camps...they cost about $35(each child) for the three "days" This time we're actually meeting from 3pm-9pm in hopes that some dads can come...(for the 6-9 part, especially..although my husband can't)

We also are doing some other things like field trips...and hopefully more. We're trying to grow the group into more "support" as well as meeting for our weekly group. We have moms in our weekly group that drive up to an hour (both ways) each week, but I'd like to have a "mom's night" this next year...we'll see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey There,

Anyone know how hard the OAKS test, or something like that, is to do well on? My daughter has been tested since 3rd grade with it, and her past principal is willing for her to test with it again. All of a sudden, I got nervous! What if she doesn't do well? At school, they get to test THREE times...we don't have time for that! This is the same child who conveniently "forgot" how to divide a few weeks ago. (She's in 5th)

Carrie

• 5 weeks later...

Hey There,

We do Classical Conversations in the Salem area, and I think it'd be great to have any of you who would like to be part of our larger "Classical Home Educator's Group" let me know...so I can add you to the "Field Trip" emails. Oregon seems to have a lot of Unschoolers....we are more of the "get some school" done type of group. I have a list of families who just want to hang out with families who do school.... If you'd like to be part of our group...and on the email list...pm me with your email address. :-) Field Trips like the Zoo, ballets, OMSI...etc..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How was the conference? I find this board dangerous enough. If I went somewhere where I could touch the books, smell the books, and see the bright, pristine books, it ...well, it would be bad:D But I would love to live vicariously and hear about your experiences.

It was great! So glad I went - I was still a little bit on the fence about homeschooling but this conference helped me make a commitment. It really was great to see the books - I heard from another attendee that there used to be more vendors, but to this newbie there seemed to be enough.

So I have to ask. What did you buy? Was there a particular curriculum that helped you make up you mind?

It wasn't so much the curriculum but the speakers that confirmed, at least in my opinion, why I thought homeschooling was important.

I looked through Rod & Staff, I saw Math U See and RightStart, which was great. It was very nice to see before buying, which I haven't done yet. I'm waffling now between Kolbe Academy and CLAA.

If you live in the Portland Metro area, my SIL goes to Exodus, http://www.exodusbooks.com/, and the staff there are very knowledgeable of curriculums, and they have a used curriculum section.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey There,

We're having an Open House *MockDay* on July 9th at 9am. I'd love it if any of you want to come, OR if you have ideas for places I should post this. I'm in the Salem area.

We have programs for children 4-grade 8. If you have younger children, they can come, too!

Classical Conversations is from a Christian Worldview.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you look on the OCEAN site for groups?? It might have some:-)

Carrie;-)

Oh yes, I've checked OCEAN, and my group always shows up in the search :) but there really isn't much else. We are getting people who want to join us but they live quite a long ways away, but there doesn't seem to be any other groups on OCEAN. Most of the search results are for Chocboard, and multi-day/week co-ops.

If other groups are out there, I guess they wish to remain secret. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a theory that Oregon home educators don't spend much time inside in front of their computers during the summer months. It takes a few cold days for us to return to our full school schedule (after we pack away our shorts and summer sandals.)

Ditto re. Eli and Exodus Provisions!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hi There,

We're doing Info Mtgs on the 2nd Thursday of each month... For Classical Conversations.... starting... January 14th. You're invited!! If you know anyone in Oregon... who may be interested... pls let them know!

Thanks!!

I found one of my favoritist families, right here on the WTM :-)

So...

;)

We're still doing Info Mtgs. If it sounds interesting to you...... let me know, and I'll help you find the closest one to you!

Homeschoolers:

Classical Education is a Journey....

(Hmmm, What is Classical Education?

No problem, this can work for your family,

even if you're not doing Classical Education right now)

Classical Conversations Academic Program Leads the Way.

Our Mission is to know God and make Him Known.

Our Model is combining Classical Learning and a Biblical Worldview.

Our Method is Parents equipping Parents.

To Find out More, Come to an Information Meeting.

We have Once a Week programs for students and their parents, from ages 4-jr high,

Registrations for the 2010~2011 school year being taken now.

Our Info Meetings are on Thursdays: Choose from: February 11, March 11, April 14th

Our Open Houses, to come and experience CC are on the Wednesday following the Info Meeting

(RSVP for Open Houses Required, so that I can have enough supplies)

Held At:

Immanuel’s Reformed Church in Salem *

For more information, please call pm or email me :D Carrie

ClassicalConversations.com (For listings all over the US)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey There,

Reminding all Oregonians to join the "Oregon" Social Group:-)

I'm in Salem... and I'd love to chat with anyone around here:-)

Carrie

And how do we join the Oregon social group? :)

We moved to Oregon a week ago on Tuesday... south of Portland and north of Salem. Would LOVE to make friends, especially if there are any other large family mamas out there. But we like small family mamas too!:tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Everyone!!

I'm in the Salem/Keizer area and am doing Info Mtgs for Classical Conversations.(CC) This will be our fourth year, coming up, and we are excited to be doing Info Mtgs and Open Houses so you can see how CC would work for your family.

If you're interested pm me; I'll email you all the Information. We meet the first Thursday night of each month for our Info Mtgs in Feb, Mar, and Apr. and we'll do Open Houses in Feb and Mar for our younger and older kids program, and Open Houses for only the Challenge Program(older kids) in Apr.

Then we do a Mock Day in July if we have spots open...

If you're interested... just let me know :)

Thanks!

http://classicalconversations.com

• 1 month later...

Trivium Cooperative Academy

Offering Friday School coming Sept 2011

A Unique Parent Led Home Education Opportunity

promoting a Christian World View

Information Meeting @ 7pm, March 15, 2011

Evergreen Presbyterian Church

905 Cottage St NE

Salem, OR 97301

You are Invited to our First Information Meeting;

Our program is designed specifically for parental involvement and children ages 3-18.

During the Information Meeting we will go through a typical day at “TCA†and introduce the founders of the group. Our group will operate with parents sharing the work, and fees, such as for supplies, will be kept to a minimum.

The scope of the elementary program includes a Christian World View that encompasses Science, History, Latin, Art, Writing, and a variety of Electives. Each subject will be approached through multi-sensory learning, where oral instruction will be combined with supplemental materials and hands-on activities such as labs, projects and games.

For 7th - 12 grades we aim to lighten your load in the pursuit of a quality, Christ-centered education for your upper grades student. Science, History, Writing,

Latin and electives will be offered at this level.

We look forward to meeting you!

For more information contact

Carrie

carrieandglenn@gmail.com