Menu

I've held the Nook at B&N and kinda like it. of course, I've not had the chance to hold the Kindle. I'm letting my 10 yr old son do most of the research and then convince me which one he thinks I should get. At this point I'm leaning toward the Nook per his recommendation on the basis that Nook is Wi-Fi so no additional connection charges will be incurred and I can connect anywhere to browse/buy books.

Anyone own one or the other or have opinions on one or the other?

I'm kinda ruling out the iPad due to price and the fact that just want an e-reader. I don't want to be distracted by all the apps and other things that can be done with the iPad. I just want to read and carry my library with me wherever I go.

At this point I'm leaning toward the Nook per his recommendation on the basis that Nook is Wi-Fi so no additional connection charges will be incurred and I can connect anywhere to browse/buy books.

You can do that with the Kindle too.

I went with the Kindle, because I don't like touch screens in general. I've been happy with it.

Do you have a laptop? If so, you could download the Kindle app for free from Amazon, and read books on your laptop without having to purchase another device.

I have a MacBook and it works great as a reader. Instead of spending money on a reader, I can spend money on the books themselves. :)

Lisa

I love my nook. I also like the fact that as they add features, they automatically send you the updates. You don't have to go buy a new reader. They have recently added a web browser and some games. I can get on here on my nook!

If I have problems, I can walk up to the nook counter in B&N and get a real person to help me. That is also a plus for the nook IMO.

Not to hijack your thread' date=' but do the Nook and Kindle make your eyes hurt from reading like a laptop would? My eyes get tired when I'm on the computer very long.[/quote']

No, they use eInk technology with no backlighting like you find on a computer or cell phone screen. It's more like reading a book page and requires another lightsource, thus you can read it outside in the sun or under any other lighting that you would normally use to read a book.

I've had my Nook for about 3 weeks now and I've loved it! One of the big positives for me is that I can "borrow" books from the library on it. Our library is part of Library 2 Go so I can download books and read them and then they delete off after 3 weeks. I have 3 friends with Nooks and they are able to "loan" me books at times.

So far, I haven't had any problems with it and love it!

You can do that with the Kindle too.

I went with the Kindle, because I don't like touch screens in general. I've been happy with it.

I did not realize that. I am hesitant to get the Nook because it just came out, whereas they've had time to refine the Kindle.

So, at, say, Starbucks, I could browse and download/buy a book without incurring any airtime charges? That is a must for me

Do you have a laptop? If so, you could download the Kindle app for free from Amazon, and read books on your laptop without having to purchase another device.

I have a MacBook and it works great as a reader. Instead of spending money on a reader, I can spend money on the books themselves. :)

Lisa

I don't want to haul my laptop around. I use it for school, online, etc. It has a big screen, weighs a couple of pounds, has a lot of wires, mouse, etc. I like the simplicity and lightweight design of the e-readers. I also want to be able to read a book on the airplane without having my laptop in my...well, lap! Yes, I know I could take an actual book, but I read very quickly and don't want to carry numerous books. So, I'm considering an e-reader.

I love my nook. I also like the fact that as they add features, they automatically send you the updates. You don't have to go buy a new reader. They have recently added a web browser and some games. I can get on here on my nook!

If I have problems, I can walk up to the nook counter in B&N and get a real person to help me. That is also a plus for the nook IMO.

I like the real person help aspect, too! but not sure I want to be distracted with games. I'm easily distracted, lol.

I've had my Nook for about 3 weeks now and I've loved it! One of the big positives for me is that I can "borrow" books from the library on it. Our library is part of Library 2 Go so I can download books and read them and then they delete off after 3 weeks. I have 3 friends with Nooks and they are able to "loan" me books at times.

So far, I haven't had any problems with it and love it!

Okay, that is SUPER COOL!

Thank you all for your responses. Keep 'em comin!

I don't know how to multi-quote, so I apologize for all the individual replies. I love all the feedback, even though I'm still very undecided.

Okay, after talking to son, I'm still leaning toward Nook. Mostly for the borrowing purposes and the live tech support in the form of an actual person at B&N aspect.

Thanks again!

Any features/aspects of either device that you absolutely hate or wish could be different?

I did a bunch of research and settled on a Kindle. I've had mine for a week and a half or so now and I love it.

On paper (ha ha), the Nook looks better--changeable battery, expandable memory, 3G AND Wi-Fi enabled, color touch screen. But it's heavier/bulkier and it's definitely slower than the Kindle. I went in and played with one at my local B&N and didn't care for the touch screen and it was really slow to respond. The Kindle is much faster/more responsive, which was a big deal to me since I'm going to use it primarily for reading and don't need it for an address book/sudoku/web browser/etc etc etc. The other thing B&N talks up is the 'lending' feature, but you can only lend a book one time. It's not like you can swap books around constantly with your friends.

The other thing that was a big deal for me: Amazon makes the user reviews of the Kindle available. Good, bad, ugly, downright hostile--they're all out there for anyone to peruse. B&N does not (though it does for other products it sells). I searched high and low for user reviews, and the best I could find was a message board that B&N hosts for Nook users, and it seemed there like a lot of people were complaining about their Nooks and B&Ns customer service.

And finally, the Kindle has just been on the market longer, so Amazon has had more time to streamline the product and work out problems.

So those were my reasons. I've been really happy with the Kindle so far.

I went with a Kindle. When I looked at the Nook, it was so slow to refresh pages. When you hit the next page button, it takes a couple of seconds. That would drive me up the wall if I was in the middle of a good book. With the Kindle, I can turn pages only slightly slower than I would turn them in a real book.

I figure the next iteration of Kindles will be better, now that they have some real competition. DH was encouraging me to hold off on the Kindle, but I just couldn't wait any longer! If they do come out with a new and improved version, I will probably let my kids have my current Kindle. I've found lots of free children's classics, and they are always trying to steal the Kindle and read their own stories. I don't know whether or not Nook is the same, but with Kindle, you can link multiple devices to your account and they will all have access to the books you've bought.

So, at, say, Starbucks, I could browse and download/buy a book without incurring any airtime charges? That is a must for me

Yes. Amazon doesn't charge any extra for the use of their WhisperNet. I've bought 3 or 4 books (and downloaded several free books--they have a whole bunch that were written before 1923 that are free) sitting in my own living room.

There is some fine print about incurring charges if you use it for something other than buying books, but I have an internet plan on my phone and a wireless laptop and it just wasn't an issue for me.

I did not realize that.

Sure, you can be camping in the middle of nowhere and connect. It uses "Whispernet" technology, which uses cellular networks. I think anyplace a cell phone works, the Kindle will work.

I'm not sure of this' date=' someone else might be able to tell you better, but I heard Amazon will make books disappear off your kindle if they break their contracts with the author.[/quote']

I don't think this has happened in quite a while. A couple of years ago they had a dispute with one of the publishers of George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm (oh the irony . . .) and did have to pull some e-copies, but they reimbursed the people who had purchased them. The user agreement clearly states that you are purchasing the rights to hold and view a digital copy of a work. You never own the book outright. It's semantics 99% of the time.

Not to hijack your thread' date=' but do the Nook and Kindle make your eyes hurt from reading like a laptop would? My eyes get tired when I'm on the computer very long.[/quote']

No. All the eReaders use the eInk technology. It looks like you're reading a newspaper. There is no back light on the device. If you want to read in the dark, you have to find an external light source.

I've been researching too, and I'm saving up for a Nook right now. My main reason is that it "Plays well with others." You can get your ebooks from anywhere and install them on the Nook, no worries about DRM and all that.

Also, I like the touch screen better than the big keyboard on the bottom. And the ability to replace batteries without sending the whole thing away and having to worry about losing info.

I'd love to hear what else comes up on this thread, as I still haven't bit the bullet on either of them.

I have three different (all free) book readers on my ipod touch, and am really enjoying them. I've been able to download books via wifi on it anywhere I have a connection, although Whispernet doesn't work except via wifi since I have a reader, not an actual Kindle.

Another question for Kindle/nook owners.... All the free books online ( from Old fashioned education etc..)- can I download those for free as well? Or do they have to be in Kindle/nook format?

They can also be Mobipocket (MOBI) format. I've downloaded several free from MobileRead.com. The books from MobileRead tend to be better quality than the free ones from Amazon, but you do have to use your computer and transfer them over via USB.

If you have something like a Word file, Amazon will convert it into the Kindle format for you. It's free if you use a USB cord to get it onto your Kindle or $0.25 if they send it over Whispernet.

You can also view PDF files on the Kindle, but it's not perfect. Pictures don't always show up on the screen. The PDF will be the same width as the Kindle screen. Normally, that means that you are viewing a whole page on a relatively small screen. You can turn the image sideways, so that the font will be larger, but then you can only see a third of the page at a time. You have to hit 'next page' to see the next third of the page. For some reason that is more annoying to me than scrolling through the page on a computer.

I have heard that you can reformat other e-book formats into mobipockets, but I haven't tried to figure out how.

Since I cannot multi-quote (I need a remedial forum class) I want to say thank you to all who have provided information.

As it stands now, it seems like I'm six to one, half dozen to the other.

I'm leaving lots and lots of hints for my husband, so I think I'll be happy with whichever device he decides to "surprise" me with. :D

One thing I like about the Kindle is how it syncs with my other devices. I will read on my Kindle most of the time, but at night I will read on my ipod Touch using the Kindle app, and sometimes I read on my netbook. When I go back to my Kindle it asks me if I would like to sync to the furthest page read. This way I don't have to go searching for where I left off.

When I was deciding between a Kindle and a Nook, I checked prices for a sampling of ebooks between Amazon and bn. Amazon often came out cheaper. In fact it was TWTM that tipped the balance for me. I really wanted it in digital format for travelling, and it was cheaper at Amazon. I don't know if pricing has since levelled out, but it may be worth checking.

I have also heard complaints from nook owners about the lag when turning pages. I'm a fast reader, and that would drive me nuts. On the positive side, I heard it was easier to hold than the Kindle, but I would get some kind of skin or cover with either one.

For grad school I have to access, download and read lots of journal articles as PDF files. Which would be better for this - Nook or Kindle? Could I transfer PDF docs from my laptop to either one?

TIA everybody!

We needed a reader for this same reason and chose to go with Sony over Kindle or Nook because the two Sony readers with touchscreens allow you to annotate and to zoom in and pan around on pdf files. Certainly don't get a Kindle though, because it's a bit of a hassle to read pdf files on a Kindle. I think Sony readers (600 and 900) handle pdf files better than either Kindle or Nook.

I second the mobileread forum for honest reviews about both.

**warning warning**

kindle and nook are not your only options! its VERY easy to get distracted over there.

I went with the Nook:

1. no drm to deal with
  2. epub is becoming the "goto" format (from what i can tell)
  3. no drm
  4. no drm
  5. no drm
  6. Expandable memory (but this is overkill, really. or possibly?)
  7. I can change the battery
  8. The nook is the nook - its on an Android platform and changes are made and then "sent out" for download. I don't know if Amazon updates their devices? I've only seen updated "versions" of the Kindle itself.

Since I purchased mine, they have had an update (1.3) that removes the lag time in turning the pages on a book.

I have also "softrooted" my nook - which gives you better control over your non-BN book library (which is pretty much of all of mine). I'm a techie at heart, so this makes mine go flutter. But - for me I like the idea that there is someone out there making improvements to the device. Its "Android" FWIW.

I downloaded Calibre - a free program (though donations are accepted) to manage my elibrary. It can be used to convert ebooks into different formats.

Also - Project Gutenburg is now starting to offer books in the various e-formats. I only ever look for the epub, but they most likely have mobi as well (kindle's proprietary format is a DRM version of mobi).

**i know this is my first post on the forums and it most likely looks suspicious. i assure you, i have been stalking the forums for a very long time. and registered so that i could buy something from someone. and now figure, hey? why not post? i'm not a BN plant.

OH - and one other thing. The general consensus at the MobileRead forums is that it really doesn't matter which eReader you buy first. You'll love it.

I settled on a Nook. THE LAG TIME IN TURNING PAGES WAS CORRECTED WITH THE 1.3 UPDATE. I'm not screaming-I just want you to notice:001_smile:). Most all of the other complaints have been fixed as well. Plus,

you can replace the battery yourself (can't with Kindle)

You can read for free in a B&N store

You can share books

It has wi-fi

I found the book prices are same for Kindle or Nook

They offer free books on Fridays (in-store)

I love the touch screen (the Kindle keypad seemed outdated to me)

Check out the 1.3 updates (updates are automatic)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I second the mobileread forum for honest reviews about both.

**warning warning**

kindle and nook are not your only options! its VERY easy to get distracted over there.

I went with the Nook:

1. no drm to deal with
  2. epub is becoming the "goto" format (from what i can tell)
  3. no drm
  4. no drm
  5. no drm
  6. Expandable memory (but this is overkill, really. or possibly?)
  7. I can change the battery
  8. The nook is the nook - its on an Android platform and changes are made and then "sent out" for download. I don't know if Amazon updates their devices? I've only seen updated "versions" of the Kindle itself.

Since I purchased mine, they have had an update (1.3) that removes the lag time in turning the pages on a book.

I have also "softrooted" my nook - which gives you better control over your non-BN book library (which is pretty much of all of mine). I'm a techie at heart, so this makes mine go flutter. But - for me I like the idea that there is someone out there making improvements to the device. Its "Android" FWIW.

I downloaded Calibre - a free program (though donations are accepted) to manage my elibrary. It can be used to convert ebooks into different formats.

Also - Project Gutenburg is now starting to offer books in the various e-formats. I only ever look for the epub, but they most likely have mobi as well (kindle's proprietary format is a DRM version of mobi).

**i know this is my first post on the forums and it most likely looks suspicious. i assure you, i have been stalking the forums for a very long time. and registered so that i could buy something from someone. and now figure, hey? why not post? i'm not a BN plant.

OH - and one other thing. The general consensus at the MobileRead forums is that it really doesn't matter which eReader you buy first. You'll love it.

What is DRM?

I settled on a Nook. THE LAG TIME IN TURNING PAGES WAS CORRECTED WITH THE 1.3 UPDATE. I'm not screaming-I just want you to notice:001_smile:). Most all of the other complaints have been fixed as well. Plus,

you can replace the battery yourself (can't with Kindle)

You can read for free in a B&N store

You can share books

It has wi-fi

I found the book prices are same for Kindle or Nook

They offer free books on Fridays (in-store)

I love the touch screen (the Kindle keypad seemed outdated to me)

Check out the 1.3 updates (updates are automatic)

Bolded part - You can get the free books on Fridays no matter where you are. I haven't yet used my Nook in the store but have downloaded a couple of the free Friday books.

We needed a reader for this same reason and chose to go with Sony over Kindle or Nook because the two Sony readers with touchscreens allow you to annotate and to zoom in and pan around on pdf files. Certainly don't get a Kindle though, because it's a bit of a hassle to read pdf files on a Kindle. I think Sony readers (600 and 900) handle pdf files better than either Kindle or Nook.

That is good to know. I won't make the decision based solely on the PDF reading ability (since I do have a plan to be done with grad school next year), but it is one more thing in the Nook's favor.

I don't think I can add Sony to the mix. I'm on overload with the Nook-vs-Kindle.

SusanAR & ChristineC

Thank you both for the information. Don't worry, ChristineC I'm assuming B&N has bigger fish to fry than to keep tabs on who is talking about their e-reader and then pay someone to join a forum and post a glowing report ;)

Many of the things you have said are what my son is saying. He is very pro-Nook and has been researching, researching, researching.

Glad to hear the updates have cleared up the most common complaints.

DRM = digital rights managment

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to impose limitations on the usage of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content not desired or intended by the content provider. The term does not generally refer to other forms of copy protection which can be circumvented without modifying the file or device, such as serial numbers or keyfiles. It can also refer to restrictions associated with specific instances of digital works or devices. Digital rights management is used by companies such as Sony, Apple Inc., Microsoft, AOL and the BBC.

The use of digital rights management is controversial. Proponents argue it is needed by copyright holders to prevent unauthorized duplication of their work, either to maintain artistic integrity[1] or to ensure continued revenue streams.[2] Some opponents, such as the Free Software Foundation, maintain that the use of the word "rights" is misleading and suggest that people instead use the term digital restrictions management. Their position is essentially that copyright holders are restricting the use of material in ways that are beyond the scope of existing copyright laws, and should not be covered by future laws.[3] The Electronic Frontier Foundation, and other opponents, also consider DRM systems to be anti-competitive practices.[4]

What is DRM?

DRM is Digital Rights Management. It means that something has a proprietary format. Kindle's files can't be read on other ebook readers. Kind of like music from iTunes can't be played on anything but an iPod.

I have had my Nook for about 6 weeks. I love it! I never leave home without it. I picked the Nook for the same reasons others on here have stated (DRM, EPub, ability to lend/borrow and Android platform.) I have not had any problems with it at all. Like others on here have said, the last update (1.3) fixed the lag problem. I have lent (and borrowed) books from other people numerous times, and it worked like a charm.

A really good place to read info about the Nook is Nookboards. There are quite a few who have both Kindle and Nook, and have posted what they like and don't like about each one.

Thanks to my son, I had it figured out quite quickly. He got the update downloaded for me and I don't think the pages turn too slowly.

I went with the Nook primarily because I need to view PDF documents. It was very easy to get the PDF docs from my laptop to the Nook and my son only had to show me twice how to find them in the "My Documents" section of the Nook.

Son set it up so I can check my e-mail via Nook, and I made him undo that because I have no desire to do that. Web browsing is pretty simple on the Nook and not overly slow. It was very easy to connect to my home wireless "hotspot" and the free e-books I "purchased" from B&N show up automatically on the Nook. Also got some free books from Project Guttenberg and will get more.

Thank you all for chiming in with advice on this. I'm :party:with my new Nook!