Menu

Difference between IPC and Physical Science?

IPC = Integrated Physics and Chemistry

Physical Science may or may not have Chemistry. For instance, Apologia Physical Science includes Earth Science, Astronomy and Physical (Physics) Science but no Chemistry, so it is not IPC.

A Beka Physical Creation includes Physics, Chemistry and Earth Science - so I'm not sure if this would qualify for IPC since 1/3 of the book includes the Chemistry component?

And in Texas, IPC is required for Recommended grad requirements. If your high schooler wants to graduate with Distinguished requirements then IPC cannot be used. Here's a good website with Texas requirements: http://www.georgetownisd.org/curriculum/graduation/gradreq07-08_classof2011Beyond.htm

I'm not worried about graduating with distinguished diploma requirements. DS really struggles with science and I just do not see him being ready for Biology in 9th grade. If that changes before he graduates, I'll either have him do science in summer school, or take science at the community college to get more credits in.

I've looked at college requirements and they do accept IPC as a science credit since it's part of the recommended diploma program.

Interestingly, BJU describes their 9th grade Physical Science class as an "introduction to the world of physics and chemistry". That sounds like it could count as IPC.

I'm not worried about graduating with distinguished diploma requirements. DS really struggles with science and I just do not see him being ready for Biology in 9th grade. If that changes before he graduates, I'll either have him do science in summer school, or take science at the community college to get more credits in.

I've looked at college requirements and they do accept IPC as a science credit since it's part of the recommended diploma program.

Interestingly, BJU describes their 9th grade Physical Science class as an "introduction to the world of physics and chemistry". That sounds like it could count as IPC.

From emails back and forth with DIVE science, I know that their "Physical Science" class is often called "Itegrated Physics and Chemistry" (and Dr. Shorman teaches for a homeschool group somewhere in TX). From my own research on their website, it seems the BJU Physical World book covers most of the topics in the DIVE Physical Science (whereas the Apologia only covers about half - not sure of the exact amount). And, yes, I would think that either with DIVE or without it would count as an IPC course.

hth!

My latest concern is that I read somewhere that IPC is being phased out and that it will only be accepted until "senior year 2012-2013". I have no idea what that means. Students that are seniors in 2012/13 are the last class that can use it? Students that are freshmen with the senior class of 2012/13 are the last ones that can use it? Ugh.

I do have a friend that is a high school principal. I should ask him.

• 2 years later...
Guest tryingtograduate

Hi, I'm trying to understand that if you took Physical Science say three years ago, why doesn't it count for IPC on your diploma anymore? I'm getting a BASIC DIPLOMA.. or "Minimum highschool requirements" So, you need IPC and Biology to graduate with the Basic. ( I can't take IPC now because it's my senior year. So it can't be taken as a final or fourth year science class. ) I know that now they aren't counting IPC as physical science, and they're just not counting it at all actually, but what if you took it in 2009? Does that make a difference? :confused::confused::confused: Someone please help... I'm really trying to understand why I have to take Physics if I have FOUR SCIENCE CREDITS... Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, and Physical Science.