Menu

Those in PA...

What is your portfolio like? And how specific are your lesson plans? Do you write the name of each book and the pages used for each day? First time homeschooler here; I need tons of help!

Lisa (who is just wondering, in case she is WAY behind in keeping her lesson plans up to date, and may have to, hypothetically, backtrack in writing them).

Edited by lisabees

I'm not from PA, but for inspiration you could check out Debra Bell's book, The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling. It has a section in the back with samples of her own! She's from PA. (Keep in mind she is UBER-organized and a "light" version of what she does is totally fine, so my PA friends tell me! LOL)

Edited by 6packofun

It really depends on your evaluator. I do not keep anything as detailed as lesson plans. I include a few samples (perhaps 4-5) for each subject area, a few writing samples, any photos or projects that we did. For things like Fire Safety we just write down a brief description of what we did to cover that. I also keep a list of reading material (any read-alouds or books read independently), any ed. DVDs that we watched, field trips taken, curriculum used (just the name of the book). Oh, I also have a print out from HST of the days that we schooled...to equal 180 or more. My evaluator is very laid back and does not require more than what the state does. Some evaluators require specifics (more than what the state wants) and I, perosonally, steer clear of those. Find an evaluator with whom you are comfortable and share common philosophies of education and ask her/him what he/she requires for the portfolio. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions!

I don't turn in any lesson plans or daily/weekly details of what we have worked on. I turn in a log of books used, and a title page for each required subject with main spines listed. I also turn in a calendar, with 180 days marked.

There is a lot of difference from one homeschooler to another for what can show "sustained progress". In talking with my evaluator last week she said it frustrates her when she gets 3 examples per subject, as it is hard for her to sometimes say that "sustained progress" is demonstrated. Yet many groups have advised the 3 per subject guideline. She asks for 6-8 writing samples (rough drafts too), and 8-16 pages per subject. She loves seeing photographs. I was taken aback when I saw her list of recommended items for the portfolio, yet when it was all put together - wow, what a great representation of what was accomplished through the year!

I don't turn in any lesson plans or daily/weekly details of what we have worked on. I turn in a log of books used, and a title page for each required subject with main spines listed. I also turn in a calendar, with 180 days marked.

There is a lot of difference from one homeschooler to another for what can show "sustained progress". In talking with my evaluator last week she said it frustrates her when she gets 3 examples per subject, as it is hard for her to sometimes say that "sustained progress" is demonstrated. Yet many groups have advised the 3 per subject guideline. She asks for 6-8 writing samples (rough drafts too), and 8-16 pages per subject. She loves seeing photographs. I was taken aback when I saw her list of recommended items for the portfolio, yet when it was all put together - wow, what a great representation of what was accomplished through the year!

Would you be willing to share her list of recommendations? Most of the homeschoolers I know IRL are very minimalist with portfolios, and I'm really curious to know what some evaluators look for.

Thank you all! I was beginning to think I needed to backtrack and do lesson plans for each day. We do so much, it would be quite the task. I have plenty of work to show progress. I'm proud of what we accomplished in our first year!

I think I'll do a summary for each subject, a book list, sample work and any pictures.

I will definitely check out that book you recommended 6packofun.

Thanks again!

I do include some samples for each of the required subjects, but the bulk of it are the reports I print out from Homeschool Tracker+. Those include attendance, books read, resources used with course descriptions, and the log (miniture copies of the lesson plans we use each week, 6 to a page side). I also include a list of topics for each course so I don't need as many samples. It passed muster last year with no problems, and I don't expect any this year either.

We include a calendar counting days we counted as school. It's marked with which subject was done or FT (field trip).

We include a reading list of all books read that year. Naturally, this gets written as we go through the year, not all at the end.

We include 10 - 12 samples of each subject from beginning to the end of the year.

We include any standardized testing done - and we put that first. Since my kids test well, that's as far as the school goes in looking at them. I know this mainly because my youngest FORGOT to put his math in one year. It was there when we visited the evaluator, but he took it out doing a last minute reorganization and forgot to put it back in. I had it on my table ready to take it to school when they called... and their call simply said everything looked fine - come pick the portfolios up! Yet, when my middle son forgot to put his standardized test scores in from 8th grade, we heard about it and had to locate it to take in to school...

That's it. It's pretty simple. I have my kids keep their portfolios in later years. That was helpful when we needed some info for college.

Don't forget to include any health checkups required (unless you opt out for religious reasons).

We include a summary showing 180 days of school, reading list, and curriculum list all from homeschool tracker. We also include a daily log. Some people do a check off list others, like me, have my dc fill in an assignment book. I also include any standardized testing required and health info. Then I have page protectors for each subject area. I try to include a picture and always write a summary of what we did (1-2 paragraphs). I include 8-10 samples of their best work. For something like art, I take pictures of their art work and copy them into a Word document on the computer. For writing I make sure to include at least one rough draft (my evaluator says if I show a rough draft, that's all I need for grammar instruction but I always do a separate grammar program).

I take pride in these as they are memories for my dc. They love to get their portfolios down from previous years and go through them. It is really a nice thing to have. I don't view it as a chore for the state but something special for my kids.

HTH

As I already mentioned in PM, I turn in:

A log of reading materials by title only. I do not include dates.

3-5 samples from each required subject.

A summary, summing up the kinds of things we did in each required subject.

An attendance statement, saying that we more than met the minimum 180 day requirement.

My evaluator's letter/form.

If it was a required testing year, which this year is not for me, I'd turn in the test results.

I do not turn in any sort of daily log of our activities.

Once someone starts turning in more than they are required to turn in by law, they start setting a precedent that the school may expect you to follow every year thereafter and you're not going to be able to easily explain why you've always done it before but now you're not. It's much better (I think) as a new homeschooler to do what you feel you are minimally required to do by law and then if your district complains and you decide to compromise a bit, it's easy to say "Well okay I'm new this is what I thought I was supposed to do" or whatever. But they may be fine without getting too many details (like a daily log). Mine was fine with just getting the book log.

With that said, I show my evaluator more than I show my district. I want my evaluator to have all the information to give me that letter saying basically "yep, you're doing fine, progress is being made, your kid is where s/he should be" etc.

I don't feel like I have to do that with the district though. The samples and the evaluator's letter and test scores if applicable should be good enough. I shouldn't have to tell them what we do every single day. I don't think that's their business.

Of course, some people believe the law says that they do have to do that (it's how they interpret the word "log"). Others take it at face value, that they just want a log of reading materials used by title. I'm in that category. So that's what I give them.

You will, of course, need to read the law for yourself, take everything into consideration, and then make a decision as to how you want to proceed with your district but hopefully you'll have a lenient one who won't give you too much of a hard time :)

Of course, some people believe the law says that they do have to do that (it's how they interpret the word "log"). Others take it at face value, that they just want a log of reading materials used by title. I'm in that category. So that's what I give them.

Actually, that's the way I've interpreted it as well, but since even the PDE seems to be uncertain about the meaning (from my understanding) and we had a brand-new superintendent, I decided to include that last year as it was my first year reporting. Whether or not they could have actually read it without a magnifying glass is up for debate, though. :tongue_smilie: I printed it out with 6 pages per page sheet side, 12 per double page. It was really tiny. :D

"A portfolio of records and materials. The portfolio shall consist of a log, made contemporaneously with the instruction, which designates by title the reading materials used, samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks or creative materials used or developed by the student and in grades three, five and eight results of nationally normed standardized achievement tests in reading/language arts and mathematics or the results of Statewide tests administered in these grade levels"

Copied from DOE website

This is my first year reporting, and my log consists of book/curricula titles, leaving a few dates "light", or even blank. I'm prefacing that with a page that states the above quote, and a short paragraph stating our enjoyment of (unspecified) relevant movies, games, activities, natural learning and family discussion.

This is because our superintendent has sent out 2 letters (August and May) requesting more than that which is required by law. I intend to comply with the law and hold my ground with the superintendent. I have many years ahead of me, and I'm not about to set a precedent of hoop jumping.

The written work my children have as samples do an excellent job of reflecting their achievement. It speaks for itself.

My advice would be to talk with your evaluator about what is expected based on the school district you are in. According to my evaluator, in my county almost every district has different ideas about what is required. Some are very relaxed and don't even want to see the portfolio; others require it all. Your evaluator will also tell you what she expects to see.

My daily log lists what the kids do each day. It is my way of teaching them to be responsible. They fill it out each morning from my master planner and then check off things as they are completed. It is what works for our family.

My portfolios are based on what my evaluator expects to see and what my district wants as well. Yours may be totally different. I live in a not very homeschool friendly district.