Menu

Delima as to what to do w/4yo (LA)...

My 3yo (turning 4 this Sunday) is reading on a 4th grade level, is finishing up Saxon 1 in a month and is starting on SWO B...I am trying to figure out what to do with her next year!

I am doing MEP this summer so she will not start 2nd grade math until the fall or later. My issues come with other subjects. It was so easy when all we were doing was learning to read!!!

I have been told many things: she is too young for FLL and she is too young for SOTW (by the time she gets to WWII, she will not be ready emotionally)...this advice makes sense but now I am wondering, WHAT DO I DO WITH HER?!?!

Spelling (check)

Bible (check)

Math (check)

History (?) - we did K12 Geography this past year

LA (??????) - I want to continue to challenge her but not just w/random books - I would rather follow a scope & sequence?

Science - I just need to get off my tail and implement

Art & Music - normal 4yo stuff

Keep in mind we have NO hs budget (so don't suggest SL or VP :))

Guest RecumbentHeart

I was reading through a bunch of old threads last night and it seems that a couple of people have in fact used FLL with their 4yos and those who didn't chose not to because they didn't consider their 4yo to have any use for grammar yet, not that they couldn't learn it. From what I read (and what I've heard from a friend who used it with her children at about 4 and 5) is that it was quite useful for them to have gone through before starting Latin.

I do intend to start Latin as soon as DS (currently 4) is reading fluently but besides that, he enjoys the lessons in FLL. The idea is supposed to be exposure rather than mastery, according to the book. If your daughter enjoys it as much as my son does I couldn't personally think of a reason to deprive her of the exposure whether you intend to teach her Latin, some other language, or not. Just my .02.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Totally OT .. in the link in your siggy - are those your girls in the monkey and lion costumes in the photos? My son would go crazy for those costumes! He would seriously live in costume if I could afford to buy or make him some. I'm not even going to show him because I'll NEVER hear the end of it.

We are using FLL, and I plan to do more SOTW soon. I would like to get my two little ones together, so it will mean doing some things over when she is ready to join in. I see no reason not to use them. My son loves SOTW CD's, we will use the AG later. Quince is not writing yet, so we do FLL orally and I help him with the writing. I plan to do it again later when he is writing.

Thankfully so far he enjoys doing things over and over again, except for math hehe.

I would suggest Song School Latin. Perfect for that age and reading level. Science... we started Apologia at age 3. It works for some. Do you really need "history"? Why not just "social studies"? Talk about world cultures (children around the world). Talk about communities, leaders, service people, etc.

Guest RecumbentHeart

What about read through A Child's History of the World for history? We replace the first few chapters with Bible personally but besides that we haven't read all the way through it but have enjoyed what we have read so far and I've read a lot of great reviews on it .. so .. just a suggestion to look into.

I think you could certainly start SOTW with her, but take more than a year to go through each volume. There's loads of stuff you can do and read about for ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome for example. Just dig deep and enjoy everything.

You could check out the books from Living Books or AO or SL from your library and have her read them. I think MBTP has good choices for accelerated kids (a little public-schooly, but I remember enjoying them in elementary school), you might choose some from the 7-9 or 8-10 year old level, though you don't have to actually do the lit units. You could also have her start some copywork if she's ready. At 4 Ariel did the HWT K book followed by a copywork book called Beatrix Potter for Beginners that started with tracing and had the child work up to copying the words on the line below. I feel it was a good introduction and she was well prepared for WWE at 5.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Have you seen the Classical Writing primers? I was just looking at the samples a few minutes ago.

edited to add: Oh, for Pete's sake. I re-read and saw that you requested NOT suggesting what I suggested! Sorry! Amending, then...

I would use Charlotte Mason language arts. You wouldn't need to buy anything; just study up on how to do copywork, narration, and dictation. Done diligently, those methods would prepare her for anything in LA later.

For my oldest son, who was quite accelerated (10 years ago), I used Core Knowledge. I just used the "What Your _____Grader Needs to Know" books as a jumping off point to organize the curriculum, and got related books from the library. We had a terrific library, so I could find plenty of books on the topics at his level. It was easier than trying to find homeschool curriculum written for a very advanced little one. We went through the first two or three books in a year or so and had a great time, and I spent practically nothing.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Have her read more/ different books? Learn about different countries/ geography, biographies and events from American history, typical preschool/ K topics like occupations and safety. Science topics using library books. Start a foreign language like Spanish when she is young enough to become fluent. Learn to recognize famous paintings and instruments and landmarks. Do serious work on chores and practical life skills. Finger knit. Lots and lots of music. (really work on the rhythm and pitch competency). Lots and lots and LOTS of work on fitness and gross motor skills/ sensory integration.

Totally OT .. in the link in your siggy - are those your girls in the monkey and lion costumes in the photos? My son would go crazy for those costumes! He would seriously live in costume if I could afford to buy or make him some. I'm not even going to show him because I'll NEVER hear the end of it.

yes - they are for 18mos, which is why the legs are at dd1's knees & the arms at her elbows! We have had them since she was 5 mo. We got them out of a halloween catalog (not for halloween, just for pics sake).

handwriting or pre-handwriting?

She Did HWT K and then we did FLL1 for awhile so she got practice from that. Now her only practice is with #s for math and when she writes her spelling words. If we start back w/FLL, which I am leaning towards, I think that will be her writing practice...do I need something else? I would think at 4 she is too young to be WRITING (like expository things)...

I think you could certainly start SOTW with her, but take more than a year to go through each volume. There's loads of stuff you can do and read about for ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome for example. Just dig deep and enjoy everything.

You could check out the books from Living Books or AO or SL from your library and have her read them. I think MBTP has good choices for accelerated kids (a little public-schooly, but I remember enjoying them in elementary school), you might choose some from the 7-9 or 8-10 year old level, though you don't have to actually do the lit units. You could also have her start some copywork if she's ready. At 4 Ariel did the HWT K book followed by a copywork book called Beatrix Potter for Beginners that started with tracing and had the child work up to copying the words on the line below. I feel it was a good introduction and she was well prepared for WWE at 5.

I think I am leaning towards doing SOTW but taking 1.5-2yrs (at least to begin with). I looked into AO and it seems WONDERFUL - however, it does NOT seem to be classical (the history books seemed to be all over the place as far as timeline goes)...have you used this? If so, how did you make it classical? Did you go through all the lists and make new lists that follow the 4yr cycle? Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm one of those who used FLL for my younger children, but we didn't do the handwriting/writing programs as directed. We did the oral lessons, chants, poem memorization -- and the children LOVED it.

My now 6.5yo son struggles with writing (although MAN we've seen a major jump in his penmanship this year, still a ways to go, but WOW.) My soon-to-be 4yo is doing a 4yo cursive workbook beautifully, so I may alter what she does in FLL (but I'm not starting with that until she's K... I need my other kids to be a bit more independent first, time commitment issues).;)

We will also be doing Song School Latin, and she regularly participates in the Solfage and song time we have with K12 music. She participates in any history, art or science activities we have as well.

She Did HWT K and then we did FLL1 for awhile so she got practice from that. Now her only practice is with #s for math and when she writes her spelling words. If we start back w/FLL, which I am leaning towards, I think that will be her writing practice...do I need something else? I would think at 4 she is too young to be WRITING (like expository things)...

From your first description of what she did it was hard to tell if she was doing any handwriting or not. I was suggesting that if she didn't know how to form her letters yet, 4 is not too young to learn.

I agree that 4 is too young to be writing expository things. That's why I suggested handwriting vs. writing. Writing numbers and spelling words or copywork is certainly plenty of handwriting for a 4 year old, and more than most kids are ready for at that age.

I also vote for SOTW. As a previous poster said, you can really spread it out and read all kinds of library books on each topic, do projects, maybe spend more time learning about art and architecture of the period, etc. Read picture books related to each topic, more biographies, etc.

My sons were just 4 and 6 when they started listening to SOTW (CD) and they LOVE it and can't get enough. Now of course they are boys and so the wars and fighting are actually a draw for them! But if you end up getting to WWII (or any other topic) and it seems a bit much for her, just gloss over it and skip the bad parts. She's still got PLENTY of years ahead of her and you'll definitely come back to WWII at some point and she can get all the facts then.

I also vote for SOTW. As a previous poster said, you can really spread it out and read all kinds of library books on each topic, do projects, maybe spend more time learning about art and architecture of the period, etc. Read picture books related to each topic, more biographies, etc.

OOH good idea!

My sons were just 4 and 6 when they started listening to SOTW (CD) and they LOVE it and can't get enough. Now of course they are boys and so the wars and fighting are actually a draw for them! But if you end up getting to WWII (or any other topic) and it seems a bit much for her, just gloss over it and skip the bad parts. She's still got PLENTY of years ahead of her and you'll definitely come back to WWII at some point and she can get all the facts then.

good point! thanks

I think I am leaning towards doing SOTW but taking 1.5-2yrs (at least to begin with). I looked into AO and it seems WONDERFUL - however, it does NOT seem to be classical (the history books seemed to be all over the place as far as timeline goes)...have you used this? If so, how did you make it classical? Did you go through all the lists and make new lists that follow the 4yr cycle? Thanks for all the suggestions!

Basically I made new lists. I'm not using all the books from AO, just the ones that fit the timeline, so we aren't doing Our Island Story until we get to that time period with SOTW (probably October at the rate we're going), for example.

I've been looking at AO and they have some good reading lists for Kinder - we've read most of them but it is a great list nonetheless. What I LOVE from their site is their science!

So here's my thought:

SCIENCE: WTM + AO science (mainly for the bird & flower study)

HISTORY: SOTW (take our time)

LA: Lit. will come from SOTW & AO's list of recommended books; FLL will take care of grammar & writing practice; SWO B

MATH: Saxon/MEP (not at the same time; MEP is for a challenge after she finishes Saxon)

Music - we listen to classical ALL the time and mil has said for the past year she will teach her piano...we'll see

Art - part of taking our time w/SOTW (artists) and...we'll see what else...

Am I missing anything?

LANGUAGE! Right! Does anyone know of any CHEAP (or FREE) language programs for young ones? We want Spanish (dh is from Ecuador and his dad is upset that they aren't already fluent...)

Now I just have to find the time...we've been doing school while ds takes his morning nap but that means dd1 does 1 hr and dd2 does 30 min. This will def. take more than 1 hr/day...hmmm...

Basically I made new lists. I'm not using all the books from AO, just the ones that fit the timeline, so we aren't doing Our Island Story until we get to that time period with SOTW (probably October at the rate we're going), for example.

thanks - I saw where they put them in order for me :D

Not sure what quality level you want, but Jumpstart has a Languages game ... more phrases than fluency, but it's cheap at least. :) Also see if your local library has programs you can check out to listen to. There's a "Teach Me" and "Teach Me More" (or maybe it's "Tell Me" and "Tell Me More") that has CDs and simple coloring books ... songs and vocabulary ... I first saw them at our library, but have since spotted shortened versions in, I think, the dollar store. Those might be a start, at least. Might see if any of your current movies have alternate language options, so you could watch, say, The Little Mermaid in Spanish.

My pre-K kid tagged along with FLL 1 this year and loved it. She's a beginning reader, and I didn't do the writing parts with either kid, but she loved the narrations and poetry, and learned some of the grammar too. So it's fine for that age, with accomodations.

History ... www.guesthollow.com had some free plans and book suggestions ... might find some there.

Seconding (thirding?) the foreign language suggestion. Now's the perfect time to get her started. 121speech.com has live tutors via Skype that are fairly inexpensive if you want to work with a native speaker.

OH... and science, animals, nature study are so much fun at that age. Maybe just get a book of experiments (Mudpies to Magnets is one) and do them all. Super fun stuff. :)

How about going for nature walks and have her start her first nature journal? She could draw what she sees, do bark rubbings, press flowers, etc.

Last but not least, the book MathART has a lot of really fun ideas.

Well, if your dh is fluent, why not just tell him that he should speak to them in Spanish? Or designate Tuesdays or whatever as Spanish days and all conversation is done in Spanish? You could also do a program like Flip Flop Spanish or Muzzy or La Clase Diverdita or Sing Move Play to work on basic vocabulary more systematically, but really, if you've got a native speaker IN THE HOUSE, that's a resource that is stupid to ignore.

You might look at the Developing the Early Learner or the Critical Thinking press books. Do you guys have Wedgits and the design cards, or Mighty Mind?

But, if she's just turning four, I think you're pushing it if you want school to take more than an hour a day. It sounds like she's ready to read (but just let her read easy books or books of her choice/ finish up more advanced phonics), do some math and maybe some handwriting practice, and then check out lots of books from the library, using a rough format like SOTW or biographies of US history or learning about countries or various science topics, along with poetry/ folk tales/ picture books like FIAR/ use the Sonlight book lists, etc. That's plenty. That's more than plenty. Make sure she has lots of opportunities for fooling around with art materials. Look at art and talk about artists, but keep it casual. Work on Spanish. Don't limit musical exposure to classical. Maybe get a Music Together cd and book and sing those types of songs. Maybe look into an early childhood music class? Go to the park. A lot. Go on nature walks. Make a concentrated effort to build gross motor skills. (Bike riding, swimming, gymnastics/ tumbling, dance, hoola hoop, throwing/ catching/ bouncing various sized balls, throwing bean bags at targets - maybe while lying in a swing?, swing, do lots of jumping - trampoline? mattress?, animal moves - frog jump, crab walk, bear crawl, slither like a snake, wheelbarrow walk, hand and head stands, rolls; yoga, running, jumping over things, balance, hop balls, swinging, spinning, monkey bars and climbing, etc.

Worrying about needing more than an hour for a four year old is overdoing it, I think. Also, really try to cultivate time for her to spend on her own doing puzzles, dramatic play, etc. Lots and lots of imaginative play, outdoor time, art, music, motor skills, foreign language. That should be the focus, imo. Teaching how to do chores and Montessori practical life skills are great. The academic work and exposure sounds great. She is interested. But I am encouraging you to allow her to determine her interests and beyond some basic skill work, unschool her in those content areas, rather than push for a full out curriculum for a not yet quite four year old.

Edited by Terabith

But, if she's just turning four, I think you're pushing it if you want school to take more than an hour a day. It sounds like she's ready to read (but just let her read easy books or books of her choice/ finish up more advanced phonics), do some math and maybe some handwriting practice, and then check out lots of books from the library, using a rough format like SOTW or biographies of US history or learning about countries or various science topics, along with poetry/ folk tales/ picture books like FIAR/ use the Sonlight book lists, etc. That's plenty. That's more than plenty. Make sure she has lots of opportunities for fooling around with art materials. Look at art and talk about artists, but keep it casual. Work on Spanish. Don't limit musical exposure to classical. Maybe get a Music Together cd and book and sing those types of songs. Maybe look into an early childhood music class? Go to the park. A lot. Go on nature walks. Make a concentrated effort to build gross motor skills. (Bike riding, swimming, gymnastics/ tumbling, dance, hoola hoop, throwing/ catching/ bouncing various sized balls, throwing bean bags at targets - maybe while lying in a swing?, swing, do lots of jumping - trampoline? mattress?, animal moves - frog jump, crab walk, bear crawl, slither like a snake, wheelbarrow walk, hand and head stands, rolls; yoga, running, jumping over things, balance, hop balls, swinging, spinning, monkey bars and climbing, etc.

Worrying about needing more than an hour for a four year old is overdoing it, I think. Also, really try to cultivate time for her to spend on her own doing puzzles, dramatic play, etc. Lots and lots of imaginative play, outdoor time, art, music, motor skills, foreign language. That should be the focus, imo. Teaching how to do chores and Montessori practical life skills are great. The academic work and exposure sounds great. She is interested. But I am encouraging you to allow her to determine her interests and beyond some basic skill work, unschool her in those content areas, rather than push for a full out curriculum for a not yet quite four year old.

:iagree: There will be plenty of years for more formal studies.

but really, if you've got a native speaker IN THE HOUSE, that's a resource that is stupid to ignore.

Easier said than done...he doesn't want to - end of discussion. My mil is fluent as well but she doesn't want to either...not much I can do about that...

But, if she's just turning four, I think you're pushing it if you want school to take more than an hour a day. It sounds like she's ready to read (but just let her read easy books or books of her choice/ finish up more advanced phonics),

she's done w/advanced phonics - she can sit for a long time and concentrate - I am trying to come up with things so school does not become boring - all we are doing is math right now (which she doesn't love...

Worrying about needing more than an hour for a four year old is overdoing it, I think.

I am not worrying about doing more than an hour, I am saying I will have to be creative to find more than an hour w/o messing w/her siblings' schedules...

I understand that you think I am wanting to do too much but here is where I am: she is DONE with all of the basic stuff (what you would normally do with a young one - learning to read, learning basic math, learning to write the alphabet). I think it is pointless to teach your child to read at 2 and then have them sit on their keister until they are 6 to do anything else with them. I am looking for challenging things for her to read and a variety of things for her to read/do so she will be exposed to various things (not just little novels, which is what she is reading now), that is why I am looking into adding history, some good LA books, and Spanish. She does not sit around all day doing worksheets - she does about 1.5/day (for math) - I am just looking for more reading and expanding the mind activities. Believe me, she gets PLENTY of time outside to explore (we live in the country). What she does for school right now is when her little brother is taking his morning nap and when her siblings start their afternoon nap (she reads to me for awhile before she rests - they take 2.5hr naps and she doesn't need that much). Not sure why I am explaining all of this to you - this is an accelerated learner board - but I just wanted you to understand better...

I don't see finding more challenging (and more variety of) things for her to read as "formal studies"

Okay, not to be snarky but please post if you have HELPFUL suggestions...the 1st couple of pages were FULL of HELPFUL suggestions. Thank you all for those :)

How about going for nature walks and have her start her first nature journal? She could draw what she sees, do bark rubbings, press flowers, etc.

Last but not least, the book MathART has a lot of really fun ideas.

Yeah, I was looking at AO and they posted what a child should know by the age of 6 and one of those was finding 12 wild flowers, putting them in a scrap book, naming them, etc. She also suggested doing the same thing w/leaves from various trees, knowing a bird by it's song, etc.

I thought those were GREAT ideas and something to at least start paying attn to - we go on 1/2 mile walks just about everyday just for fun but now we are starting to pay attn. to the greenery around us - and she has started taking pics of flowers she sees.

I've never heard of MathART - I'll have to check that out, thanks!

At about the same age, we really dived into science ala WTM. We did biology--mostly animals, but also plants and the body. There are so many great books to read for that age. The words can be challenging; there are fun pictures; and you don't have to worry about content. We did some nature journaling. For each subject, I had dd narrate orally to me. I typed it for her and then she decorated the page either by drawing or with stickers. I bought tons of animal stickers! We went on nature walks and made trips to the zoo.

Dd was also doing Singapore math with Miquon, but she directed the amount of time spent on it. Of course she thought that it was play, so she wanted to do it a lot.

At 4.5 years, we started SOTW, FLL and latin. These are definitely doable at this age if your dd has good comprehension. We read together a lot and I spent at least an hour a day doing a read-aloud. This allowed me to edit the content if needed. We did lots of history projects and crafts. We stuck with the WTM schedule. When we came to year 4, I focused on inventions, art, people, etc. and skimmed the wars. It was a great year.

For language arts, I didn't do much else except that I bought cheap workbooks as I found them. DD loved workbooks so that was another form of play for her. It was mostly busy-work though, I don't think that they added much educational value.

I look back on those early years very fondly, and I really wouldn't change any of it. Oh yeah, our "formal" school never took more than an hour, but our "informal" school was all day long.

At about the same age, we really dived into science ala WTM. We did biology--mostly animals, but also plants and the body. There are so many great books to read for that age. The words can be challenging; there are fun pictures; and you don't have to worry about content. We did some nature journaling. For each subject, I had dd narrate orally to me. I typed it for her and then she decorated the page either by drawing or with stickers. I bought tons of animal stickers! We went on nature walks and made trips to the zoo.

I was thinking of exactly that - I am going to see if maybe I can use some b-day $$ to buy the Animal Encyclopedia that WTM suggests. I am WAAY more into history but I think at her age, she would actually enjoy science more so I am thinking about focusing on that (WTM style). Thanks for the suggestions!

For language arts, I didn't do much else except that I bought cheap workbooks as I found them. DD loved workbooks so that was another form of play for her. It was mostly busy-work though, I don't think that they added much educational value.

DD is like I was at that age (and am now) - does NOT like busy work. She fakes carpal tunnel in sunday school whenever they color...she would much rather read :lol:

I look back on those early years very fondly, and I really wouldn't change any of it. Oh yeah, our "formal" school never took more than an hour, but our "informal" school was all day long.

That's how it is at my house...MOST of our learning these days are how to treat her sister with love anyway...:glare:

I did FLL at age 4 with both of my middle children. One had the attention span for it, one didn't, but both were capable of doing it, and if I'd waited until the standard 6-7, I don't think that it would have been well received (they would have been bored by it then -- as it was, I had to cut out some repetition).

I also started my second on SOTW at 4 (her brother was 5). We took it slow and supplemented with LOTS of library books. This coming year, my 5 year old will do SOTW with her 9 year old brother -- the goal is just exposure for her. 9 year old will be using it to more or less line up with his older siblings, who will be using TRISMS. SOTW is very easy to stretch out and 'go deep', using the activity book and the library.

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Great White North viewpost.gif

I don't see finding more challenging (and more variety of) things for her to read as "formal studies"

Okay, not to be snarky but please post if you have HELPFUL suggestions...the 1st couple of pages were FULL of HELPFUL suggestions. Thank you all for those :)

When she's 15, you'll realize that this was a helpful suggestion. In fact, you may find it to be very helpful around 12/10!

I don't see finding more challenging (and more variety of) things for her to read as "formal studies" either, but I do see SOTW, FIAR, FLL, Saxon, MEP, etc. as formal studies.

When she's 15, you'll realize that this was a helpful suggestion. In fact, you may find it to be very helpful around 12/10!

I don't see finding more challenging (and more variety of) things for her to read as "formal studies" either, but I do see SOTW, FIAR, FLL, Saxon, MEP, etc. as formal studies.

And in my experience I have not regretted it at all. I have three graduates and two little ones. I plan to do it just the same way. Child led, when they ask for more........ give it to them. When they want to take a break, give it to them.

well, you're right: I may change my mind - I've done it before.

but I refuse to NOT challenge her...I think it would only frustrate her and stall her learning - and then what? when she is 6 and it is time to be challenged, she will fight it b/c she has not been up to this point. I am not trying to start a debate mainly b/c I know there is no changing your mind (not that I need or want to)...I'll stop - I cannot put my views into words anyway...pregnancy brain...

ETA: stuff was going on...shouldn't have even tried to type. SOTW & FIAR were to find more challenging books that followed a sequence. FLL is just b/c it is fun and she enjoys it. We do Saxon b/c I have NO idea what to do once they know how to count to 30 (really, I know, incompetent mother, I just have no idea...) and MEP is so that we don't go straight to Saxon 2 - trying to go wide & deep and solidify concepts so she is ready for the next step (trying not to rush into the next phase too quickly).

Edited by kmacnchs

well, you're right: I may change my mind - I've done it before.

but I refuse to NOT challenge her...I think it would only frustrate her and stall her learning - and then what? when she is 6 and it is time to be challenged, she will fight it b/c she has not been up to this point. I am not trying to start a debate mainly b/c I know there is no changing your mind (not that I need or want to)...I'll stop - I cannot put my views into words anyway...pregnancy brain...

ETA: stuff was going on...shouldn't have even tried to type. SOTW & FIAR were to find more challenging books that followed a sequence. FLL is just b/c it is fun and she enjoys it. We do Saxon b/c I have NO idea what to do once they know how to count to 30 (really, I know, incompetent mother, I just have no idea...) and MEP is so that we don't go straight to Saxon 2 - trying to go wide & deep and solidify concepts so she is ready for the next step (trying not to rush into the next phase too quickly).

Trust you mommy instincts. Enjoy your time ! If she isn't ready, she will let you know. If she is roll with it.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I think what we are going to do is:

Math: MEP (however long that takes and then Saxon 2)

LA: SWO B, FLL, reading (see science & history)

Science: WTM way (thanks for all the ideas regarding this!)

History: No history to start - just focus on science for awhile but if she wants to, we will read CHTW and/or SOTW

Spanish: going to try out some of your ideas! thanks!

Art: After nap crafts - idea from alatexan68 from the planning thread

This is A LOT. We'll see how much we are doing by the end of the year. I tend to strip to the bare minimum as the year goes on - little ones don't play by themselves quite as well as you "planned" while you do school with the older one ;) I feel badly for her b/c she LOVES doing school (which consists of reading, which she loves, and being read to, which she LOVES) but I would rather play outside :D she is not my child!!!

RE: History. . .

I think you could start SOTW 1 (and take 2 years by really enjoying the AG ideas and lots of books) OR you *could* do SL K or SL 1 on the *cheap* by just picking up many of the books at the library +/- a used IG (even a really old, cheap one).

Honestly, I think you could do SL nearly as cheaply as SOTW (buying a used SL IG instead of the SOTW AG) by just getting books from the library (assuming you have a good one) or maybe a few books used at a good price. The drawback of SL is that you'd have to work harder to find the specific books and/or make substitutions. But, really, you can be flexible and even just use the SL book lists as library/shopping lists and use them wily nilly w/o an IG and still get most of the benefit of SL (at that level any way). B/C, for us, the best things about SL are the books themselves.

HTH

RE: History. . .

I think you could start SOTW 1 (and take 2 years by really enjoying the AG ideas and lots of books) OR you *could* do SL K or SL 1 on the *cheap* by just picking up many of the books at the library +/- a used IG (even a really old, cheap one).

Honestly, I think you could do SL nearly as cheaply as SOTW (buying a used SL IG instead of the SOTW AG) by just getting books from the library (assuming you have a good one) or maybe a few books used at a good price. The drawback of SL is that you'd have to work harder to find the specific books and/or make substitutions. But, really, you can be flexible and even just use the SL book lists as library/shopping lists and use them wily nilly w/o an IG and still get most of the benefit of SL (at that level any way). B/C, for us, the best things about SL are the books themselves.

HTH

All great ideas :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE SL books - I check the list all the time for ideas as to what to get at the library. I was given SOTW & the AG so I'm set there, I'm just not sure if we will have the time. I've been really slack on sciency things so I think I will focus more on that this next year...

We do Saxon b/c I have NO idea what to do once they know how to count to 30 (really, I know, incompetent mother, I just have no idea...) and MEP is so that we don't go straight to Saxon 2 - trying to go wide & deep and solidify concepts so she is ready for the next step (trying not to rush into the next phase too quickly).

Have you read Liping Ma's book? It might be helpful.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178544&highlight=liping+ma

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 year old son is a lot like your daughter. The best advice that everyone has given me is to study "out" instead of just "up." While he's been in higher level core curriculum, we also fill many school hours studying things like geography, language, religion, typing, etc etc. We are lucky to be in a community full of homeschoolers, so we're also in co-ops where he takes mini classes in LEGO engineering, fine arts and drama, writing workshops, etc. I think SOTW is fine for a 4 year old, and I let my 2 year old listen to the car tapes with no problems.

Keep working on the social (non-academic) things, too. I got so caught up in worrying what books I should be getting my 2/3/4 year old that I sometimes forgot that he still needed to learn to ride a bike/tie his shoes/pour milk/etc. :) :)