Menu

Advice for language curriculum - First Language Lessons, Abeka, or other?

Kipling

I would like to get input / advice regarding language curriculum. What have you used for your elementary aged kids, what has worked (or not) and why?

My daughter will be starting 2nd grade, and we have been using Abeka for the last 3 years (K4, K5, and 1st). I have been looking at First Language Lessons from Jessie Wise or Language 2 from Abeka, but I am open to other ideas for:

grammar

copywork

writing

Please let me know what your experiences have been.

Her reading is fairly advanced, so we don't need to spend more time on phonics, and we're happy with our math program (MUS) and our core program (TOG).

Thanks for your help!

I used to work for A Beka and I'm not even using them for language... I think they are great for grammar. Dr. Chapman (author of the grammar books) was my grammar professor in college! But they are really, really weak in writing skills. There just isn't enough focus on it... as they get older, especially. The kids in college who were A Beka all the way through school had no idea how to write a paper... They could diagram sentences but couldn't put together a paragraph so I don't think there is enough focus on practical skills...

I started my oldest with FLL the summer she finished 1st grade. We pretty much zipped thru the first half and slowed down for the second half. I didn't use any other language because I was using Heart of Dakota's Beyond curriculum but wanted to add more english and not use the recommended Rod and Staff english. Using the HOD and FLL my daughter enjoyed her lessons for english.

I did get tired of the repeating the rules and stuff but its' what you got to do for them to memorzie and learn. Four years later I am glad for all the pushing to memorize in the grammer department.

I am gearing up to teach 1st grade all over again and the only thing different is that I added Explode the Code and A Beka's reading to First Language Lessons.

Having never used FLL (but planning to try it) I cannot give an opinion. However, my ds used Abeka and it is an excellent program. It is not heavy on writing on the younger years, but it does have some writing. It delves deeper around 6th grade. You have to use Abeka's complete program, not just their langauge/grammar book for LA. If you are looking specifically for in-depth writing, you will not find that until 6th grade, when Abeka adds a supplemental creative writing book. We did nearly every assignment on every page (which is a lot of work, but ds needed it and I think it was best), and we used their complete program, spelling, vocab, grammar, reading comprehension, and writing. I used them exclusively throughout his school and all the way through high school. Ds did have sporadic struggles with spelling and grammar, so I used Apples spelling (1st book only) and Daily Grams here and there for a couple of years in early high school.

After saying all of that, ds started college this month and is sailing through his first college level English class. He missed three classes out of the first 7, had a test, and scored an "A." For this test, he had some online self directed practice tests that he called me laughing about because they were so easy.

I do plan to try FLL & WWE simply because I have heard so many good things about them, but if I do not like them after about 1/2 year, I will go back to Abeka with no hesitiation.

My daughter is going into grade 2 and we are doing First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease. Loving it so far. She likes it much more than the curriculums I have tried prior. We switched half way through the year and her whole attitude toward language arts changed. Love it! I have many friends who use the FLL and WWE but many of them also really like Rod and Staff, so you might consider that. I know SWB recommends them as well. I understand that its a little advanced so I am sure you could start with 2 (thats the 2st level they have for grammar) and do just fine. Good luck!!

We used both FLL and Abeka Language 2 and I liked both for different reasons. First Language Lessons incorporates narration, copywork and poem memorization skills, as well as focusing on memorizing the definitions and uses of the parts of speech. The exercises are predominantly oral and sometimes (at least for one of my kids who benefits from auditory and written learning) I felt she benefited from the workbook style of Abeka which gave more written practice.

This may not help you because we did not choose one over another, but we also did not find it too intensive to do a combination of both.