Menu

Winston or Analytical Grammar

I think I have narrowed down my grammar choices for DD(10.5) to Winston or Analytical.

She has had some grammar, and I like the looks of both of these programs. They both have a junior or basic program, that I would probably have her do for Grade 6, then go on to the full program over two or three years in junior high.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone that has any thoughts to share on either of these programs.

Thanks

I think I have narrowed down my grammar choices for DD(10.5) to Winston or Analytical.

She has had some grammar, and I like the looks of both of these programs. They both have a junior or basic program, that I would probably have her do for Grade 6, then go on to the full program over two or three years in junior high.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone that has any thoughts to share on either of these programs.

Thanks

We used AG for 6th-7th-8th. You may read my review here.

i planned to use analytical grammar for my 7th grader who has had some grammar. it was difficult for her so i backed up and used winston and she got it. we will be using the analytical grammar next year. maybe a learning style thing. i do like both programs, tho!

just my $0.02!

We have used both WG and AG. I definitely like AG better as far as ease of use for me. I go over the lesson with them Monday and then they turn in their work each day for me to check. If there is a problem we sit down and go over it together. Test on Friday. Perfect.

It's been a few years since we used WG...I just remember it being very time intensive for me. But, we did learn a lot from WG.

with my 5th and 6th graders. I considered doing JAG this year, but took the plunge to have my 5th grader join her brother and it has gone very well. They are doing week 10 right now of year 1 and they both have been very successful. It was slow going at first. The sentences are not simple. They are quite complex from the get go. So we took it really slow. We spent the whole year doing the 10 weeks. Not how you are supposed to do it, but it worked. WE started with 1/2 an exercise 2 times a week and moved to 2 exercises a week by the second semester. They can diagram sentences to beat the band. I am very pleased. I have a rising 4th grader who is finishing FLL4 and I am trying to figure out whether she should do JAG or AG next.

I've used Winston Grammar, but not AG. I really like Winston. It makes an abstract subject, more concrete. I love the clue cards, which basically train the student to analyze each word for the job it is doing in the sentence.

We spend about twenty minutes per day. It is not time intensive at all. I usually teach a concept on one day and then my student practices that concept over another day or so. We never spend more than twenty minutes though. His understanding has skyrocketed in the couple of months we've used the program.

We plan on going on to Winston Advanced next Fall.