Menu

Gift ideas for Father's Day....Moms AND DADS reply!

Need ideas for Father's Day! While we really don't spend much on gifts, I've been wanting to send my dh up in an hot air balloon ride. That may be pricey.

Dads, chime in and have your say. Moms, you do the same. Accepting ideas from no expense to money out of pocket.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

Apparently no one has any more ideas than you. So here is a bump - maybe it will catch someones eye.

As for us - I am sick of stuff and tend to ask for and give activities like tickets to games or shows or gift certificates to meals out. You could plan some favorite food and have a fun day at someplace beautiful with the family and a picnic. I have been married for 25 years and Father's Day ideas are getting a little thin around here. :001_smile:

For Mother's Day my hubby had the kids do a framed picture with each of their hand prints. They each wrote a little note to me and just thinking about what the wrote is making me misty eyed. It is hanging in the kitchen and I just love it.

A few years ago we did something similar for my husband. I had a picture framed with the kids hand prints and added the saying: "Fifty years from now it won't matter what kind of car you drove or how much money you had in the bank, but it will matter that you made a difference in our lives."

Now I need a new idea.....anyone?

FIL is big into his yard/garden/cooking so we have done pavers with handprints, bird houses, bird feeders, herb gardens, subscription to Food Network magazine (which is AWESOME), handprint apron and dish towels...

One year I bought DH and his dad golf gift certificates to a number of different golf courses and driving ranges around town. Not only was it a gift for them individually, but it was a way for them to spend time together.

My husband is big into photography. Gifts have included a digital camera, a nice tripod, subscriptions to Popular Photography, Outdoor Photography, and Photography, and tuition to a photography seminar.

Dh's birthday is pretty close to Father's Day, so we decided (okay, it's not completely decided, but we are seriously leaning toward it) to get him a new cell phone. Currently he's highly uncool with his lousy flipphone, so we were thinking of an iphone. Dh is a Mac sort of fellow, but I hate istuff, so I'm trying to decide between the iphone and an android model.

(and the only reason I'm doing this is because I want the new Windows7 phone when it comes out for Christmas :D)

Just this afternoon we found what we are going to give DH for FD. We saw a flyer in a local shop for pen and ink or charcoal drawings of one's pet.

We've had our rescue dog for almost one year, and pooch and DH are best, best buddies. We are going to surprise DH with a drawing of Guidry (see below):

post-10544-13535083535086_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535083535086_thumb.jpg

Just this afternoon we found what we are going to give DH for FD. We saw a flyer in a local shop for pen and ink or charcoal drawings of one's pet.

We've had our rescue dog for almost one year, and pooch and DH are best, best buddies. We are going to surprise DH with a drawing of Guidry (see below):

Cute....thanks for sharing that Mariann!

I might send my dh up in a hot air balloon if the price is right....another idea.

Aren't men the hardest to buy for? Sometimes I have gotten my Dad a book since he likes to read and I am learning about books he has possibly never heard of :)

Or what about something consumable to go with his favorite hobby? My Dad does a fair bit of camping so I got him snacks, batteries, paper products, etc. in a bucket for his next camping trip.

Dh and I don't do a lot of gifts for each other. We use birthdays and holidays as an excuse to get something we've been needing/wanting for awhile - or we go to a really nice restaurant.

DH is getting speakers that mount flush to the wall. Our walls are wired for it but we have just never put out the money to buy them.

Aren't men the hardest to buy for? Sometimes I have gotten my Dad a book since he likes to read and I am learning about books he has possibly never heard of :)

Or what about something consumable to go with his favorite hobby? My Dad does a fair bit of camping so I got him snacks, batteries, paper products, etc. in a bucket for his next camping trip.

Dh and I don't do a lot of gifts for each other. We use birthdays and holidays as an excuse to get something we've been needing/wanting for awhile - or we go to a really nice restaurant.

Yes, we pretty much do the same thing.....not really feeling like we "have" to exchange gifts. If we do it's small or free. :D Although once in a while we'll do a little extra something....hence the reason for my questioin. I'm eyeballing a hot air balloon ride, but it seems pricey. I posted on our local homeschool yahoo eloop and suggested other Moms join in by giving their dh's the same gift. Then a few husbands/dads could enjoy the ride together. No takers. So, we have a local event my dd found out about via the radio and it's tomorrow. It's a great idea that I wish was a little closer to the date of Father's Day. There will be a midway set up and Christian singer/Nascar related. There will be games, Nascar celebraties visiting, hot air balloon ride, etc. And a concert by Toby Mack (sp?). It's little pricey, but it may just be one of those years for that "little something extra". $25/adults and $10 children. Parking is free. No additional charge for balloon rides or concert. However, we'd have to eat dinner there and gas....event from 2:30 - 8:30.....a long day when we school the next day on Mon. All in all it may just be great. Sheryl <><

Our outdoor grill just died, so I'll probably get him a new one. It is summer and he'll be needing one!

As far as low/no cost ideas, one year I had a friend re-write a beautiful poem about dads in calligraphy and had it framed. It is one of his favorite presents of all time.

Our outdoor grill just died, so I'll probably get him a new one. It is summer and he'll be needing one!

As far as low/no cost ideas, one year I had a friend re-write a beautiful poem about dads in calligraphy and had it framed. It is one of his favorite presents of all time.

Oh Tammy, LOVE THAT IDEA! You know, I "may" make a running list for future ideas. Great. Hey, we're in Charlotte. C'mon over for the event...tomorrow!!

Dh gets the same thing every Father's Day. We make pavers with the kids' handprints (footprints for babies). I etch their names and the date in them, and the kids add decorate stones. He has enough for a little path already. I guess maybe they are really for me since I just love them.

Past gifts that have been successful:

Bought a plain T shirt at craft store and traced kids' hands and had them color on it with fabric markers.

Made him a pillow for his hammock.

Updated pictures for his frames at work.

I just went to a Pampered Chef party, and many of the women said their husbands really liked their grill flipper/slicer thing, so that's what we're giving dh this year.

I'm really excited about our Father's Day idea. Dh has a Martin guitar that he has had for ~ 25 years. It began to show its age about 5 years ago, but dh has never chosen to put the $ toward it to get it fixed. So, I checked with a professional musician friend and he gave me the name of a guitar luthier who specializes in Martins. Although his shop is an hour away, friends of ours from the same city came to church today and stealthily transferred the guitar to their car and will deliver it for me and then pick it up and deliver it back. I'm so proud of myself for thinking of this and look forward to having him play his guitar again.

Not exactly sure what I will be getting DH this year. In the past we have bought him tickets to sporting events, concerts, fishing and camping stuff, sunglasses, and electronics. I try to listen throughout the year to DH to get an idea of what he might like.

I'm not sure whether to be annoyed or relieved, but my dh has his GPS stolen every year right before Father's Day! He will, as always, receive a new one. It's very boring, but he uses it daily. I'll also get him an old movie he loves that has be re-released on blu-ray.