Menu

Jobs/careers related to homeschooling?

My dh has worked in public education since graduating from college. He taught high school and now he works in school reform. Needless to say...his heart is really not in it. School reform is such a stressful field to be in and he travels a bunch. It's hard on all of us. Anyway, I wondered if anyone knew of any jobs or career paths related to homeschooling, curriculum development, etc. that he could look into. He needs a change. He is very good at what he does, but if he could only apply it to a field where his heart is, kwim? Thanks.

I think that it would be great to have a homeschool guidance counselor - someone who could provide traditional testing, like the ITBS or Woodcock Johnson AND the more involved, in depth educational testing, such as the WISC. Ideally this person would cultivate relationships with admissions counselors at a wide variety of technical schools, colleges and universities in order to assist a high school student in finding a good match for the future. This person would also be familiar with and cultivate relationships with armed forces recruiters and admissions liasons for the military academies. Career interest testing/evalutation would be a plus, as would an extensive library of college catalogs, test prep books and career specific prep books. This person could provide educational planning assistance to home school families for an hourly fee - by necessity he/she would need to be familiar with the different homeschool methodologies, curricula (Christian, secular and traditional textbook) and training opportunities for parent/teachers. By way of extending the business model, tutors could be provided to students who need them by providing contracting opportunities for area tutors. Additionally, this person could provide ACT and SAT test prep courses.

I'm sure there are many other guidance counselor type duties that I am neglecting.

I think that it would be great to have a homeschool guidance counselor - someone who could provide traditional testing, like the ITBS or Woodcock Johnson AND the more involved, in depth educational testing, such as the WISC....

I think that's a fantastic idea...

Since he taught high school, would he be interested in tutoring homeschoolers in his area(s) of expertise? Around here, it seems like tutors make pretty good money. Might make for a good "supplemental income" if it's not something he would want to do full-time...

My dh has worked in public education since graduating from college. He taught high school and now he works in school reform. Needless to say...his heart is really not in it. School reform is such a stressful field to be in and he travels a bunch. It's hard on all of us. Anyway, I wondered if anyone knew of any jobs or career paths related to homeschooling, curriculum development, etc. that he could look into. He needs a change. He is very good at what he does, but if he could only apply it to a field where his heart is, kwim? Thanks.

Not sure if this would fit, but there are public charter schools here in California that work exclusively with homeschoolers. Like other public schools, they have teachers and administrators, and they do a lot of curriculum research because of the variety of choices available to their students. The teachers visit their students once per learning period (month), usually in the student's home or at the library, to go over work, help with choosing curriculum, and pretty much whatever the family needs (I like mine to help with grading). I imagine the administrative side is pretty similar to what you'd get in a typical public school position, although with less of a focus on discipline.

I have several friends who either work as charter school teachers, or are married to someone who does. They all seem to really enjoy their work with "their" families. :001_smile:

What about working for a museum's education department? Many offer (or could offer if they had the right employee) classes specifically for homeschoolers.

I am really liking the sound of the PP idea for a homeschool guidance counselor. Like a recruiter for kids. Hmmm... wonder if the college recruiters get paid like a headhunter does...

I think that it would be great to have a homeschool guidance counselor - someone who could provide traditional testing, like the ITBS or Woodcock Johnson AND the more involved, in depth educational testing, such as the WISC. Ideally this person would cultivate relationships with admissions counselors at a wide variety of technical schools, colleges and universities in order to assist a high school student in finding a good match for the future. This person would also be familiar with and cultivate relationships with armed forces recruiters and admissions liasons for the military academies. Career interest testing/evalutation would be a plus, as would an extensive library of college catalogs, test prep books and career specific prep books. This person could provide educational planning assistance to home school families for an hourly fee - by necessity he/she would need to be familiar with the different homeschool methodologies, curricula (Christian, secular and traditional textbook) and training opportunities for parent/teachers. By way of extending the business model, tutors could be provided to students who need them by providing contracting opportunities for area tutors. Additionally, this person could provide ACT and SAT test prep courses.

I'm sure there are many other guidance counselor type duties that I am neglecting.

I've been referring to it as being a "homeschool consultant", but I like "guidance counselor" too.