Menu

Which level of rod and staff would you use?

I think this would really depend on how much previous grammar experience her child has. If her child has little or no grammar experience, I'd say 5th. R&S 7 is intense, so her child would need to be advanced to begin with that. Do you have any other info to help us advise her?

I know this is not much help, but if you have more info, I'll try. We are big R&S English fans here!

My dd started with gr 5 after doing Easy Grammer 56, but she chose that when I gave her a choice of 5 or 6 and she didn't regret it. Each level has quite a jump, IMO, and she was new to diagramming. I would say 6 if he has a strong grammar background, otherwise 5. Right now she's doing R&S one grade below her actual grade and the level is about right for that unless you have someone advanced in grammar who enjoys it. My second one started the Grade 7 one 3/4 of the year through her grade 7 level year, but will finish it next year.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm sure her dd has had some grammar but has not done any diagramming. We just finished R&S English 6 and that was hefty...can't wait for 7 ;). I think I'll have her look at 5, 6, and 7 and go from there. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm sure her dd has had some grammar but has not done any diagramming. We just finished R&S English 6 and that was hefty...can't wait for 7 ;). I think I'll have her look at 5, 6, and 7 and go from there. Thanks for the input!
We are R&S Grammar fans too! We called them levels. not grades, and my kids never had a problem using things at levels lower than their grade. If she wants to succeed, and since it's not that expensive, I'd have her just start at level 5. She'll get the diagramming and "lingo" of R&S at a "lighter" level than 6 or 7! Unless she's REALLY strong in grammar, she'll tend to have more success with level 5, enjoy it more, and do better!

ETA: If she or her mom might be concerned with her possibly being in a lower level book than your dd, remind them that the level isn't an indication of intelligence, it's an indication of how much grammar they've had previously! If she hasn't had grammar, the lower level will only help her build a strong base! Better to be a couple of levels "behind" and learn well, than be lost in "grade-level" work! :D

Edited by Brindee

SWB says to start with level 5 if the dc is new to R&S at the logic stage. If she hasn't had any diagramming, she may also want to purchase the additional english handbook or diagramming booklet.

We are R&S Grammar fans too! We called them levels. not grades, and my kids never had a problem using things at levels lower than their grade. If she wants to succeed, and since it's not that expensive, I'd have her just start at level 5. She'll get the diagramming and "lingo" of R&S at a "lighter" level than 6 or 7! Unless she's REALLY strong in grammar, she'll tend to have more success with level 5, enjoy it more, and do better!

ETA: If she or her mom might be concerned with her possibly being in a lower level book than your dd, remind them that the level isn't an indication of intelligence, it's an indication of how much grammar they've had previously! If she hasn't had grammar, the lower level will only help her build a strong base! Better to be a couple of levels "behind" and learn well, than be lost in "grade-level" work! :D

Yes, and I just want to add that R&S is so advanced in English, that it is easily 1.5 to 2 yrs ahead of our (supposedly) good PS district.;) In fact, comparing R&S English 10 to the local grade 12 scope and sequence puts R&S at a college level.;)

I also want to add that I am *returning* our 13.5 yo dd to level 5-she is stronger in math and sciences and needs the confidence instead of the push to stay on grade.(If that makes sense...)