Menu

Λοοκ ατ θις!

Saille

LOL...It says "Look at this!" in Greek transliteration. I just substituted Greek letters for English ones. Anyone who used Greek Code Cracker would get it.

But SophoKeys is really cool. There are only a few letters that don't directly correspond to the letters on an English keyboard anyway, and they shouldn't be difficult to remember. Then there are shorthand symbols to type to add accent marks, use uncials, etc. If I type:

o( logos

it comes out:

ὁ λογος

*)en a)rxh=| h)=n o( *lo/gos, kai\ o( *lo/gos h)=n pro\s to\n *qeo/n becomes:

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦ ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν

It looks sort of counter intuitive, but it's really not. They've used English punctuation marks that slant/curve the same way as the diacritical and breathing marks. You could actually read the code phonetically if it weren't for a couple of letters, like Psi and Phi, not really having English correspondences. I can see how I could type this without thinking after a while, and I'm thinking I'll put the kids' memory verses from Elementary Greek into their copywork for next year using SophoKeys. Also, on my Mac the international menu is up in the menu bar, so I literally have a drop down option that switches me from English to SophoKeys and back again. If I had to bumble through a series of menus each time I wanted to switch, I'd probably be less enthused, but I love this!

:D So pleased with this!

I read it! I've never been presented with ambient Greek text before and I didn't have to sound it out! :hurray:

Hey, maybe I should label things around the house in Greek.

Oh, how fun would that be?

A few weeks ago, I geeked out and made master flashcards of all the Latin/Greek programs we've used. I color-co-ordinated...red for Latin and green for Greek. I have a ring for Song School Latin, one for Lively Latin, one for Minimus, and one for Elementary Greek. Labels on household items would be the icing on the cake.

To my non-Greek eyes it looked like Look at Pics. ;)

:lol:

Χαχα... Μη πιστεύεις ό,τι λένε τα μάτια σου.

(Haha... Don't believe to what your eyes say. :))

I don't like how the ancient font looks on the computer though, the diacritics ruin the size of letters; in print it's rather elegant though.

:lol:

Χαχα... Μη πιστεύεις ό,τι λένε τα μάτια σου.

(Haha... Don't believe to what your eyes say. :))

I don't like how the ancient font looks on the computer though, the diacritics ruin the size of letters; in print it's rather elegant though.

The Greek Font Society's fonts are working fine on my computer now that I've got SophoKeys installed...

The Greek Font Society's fonts are working fine on my computer now that I've got SophoKeys installed...

This is the kind of font I was referring to, the most common one and the "standard" one, which messes up the size of the letters, not everything is fully Italic, etc. But I almost always see such texts online, in print it does look a lot different.

Whatever, though, as long as it's readable, I'm good with it. :)