Menu

Tell me about BF - History of Science

My DD(10.5) is going into Grade 6 this fall. I am planning on doing Apologia General Science in Grade 7. I am wondering if HofS might be something I could do for Grade 6 as a good precursor to General Science, but I know nothing about it.

Any information would be appreciated.

We did it a couple years ago. The experiments were pretty light, which was good at the time. The books consist mostly of biographies of famous scientist and How Things Work. We did it very casually and found it quite enjoyable. I kept all the books and the audio cds. My youngest is reading one of the biographies right now for her reading program. Not sure what other info you want. It is super easy to do......

May I add more questions?

What grade levels would you say it was geared towards? The site said 3-7, does that sound about right?

How often are experiments done?

Is it something a strong reader could do on his own?

Is it something two students could work through together?

Is it all scheduled out?

Is it more than just a schedule (ie discussion questions, website suggestions, etc)?

How does it compare to Hakim's _Story of Science_? Meaning -- does it cover the same info but in a different format?

Thank you! :)

May I add more questions?

What grade levels would you say it was geared towards? The site said 3-7, does that sound about right?

How often are experiments done? Yes

Is it something a strong reader could do on his own? Yes

Is it something two students could work through together? Yes

Is it all scheduled out? Yes

Is it more than just a schedule (ie discussion questions, website suggestions, etc)? Not really, IMO

How does it compare to Hakim's _Story of Science_? Meaning -- does it cover the same info but in a different format? Cannot answer

Thank you! :)

I answered your questions above, but couldn't figure out how to make them colored.

I am using it this year with a 2nd and 4th grader. It is okay. There is a lot of reading and they keep a science notebook, as well as do a timeline of the inventors that they color and paste on a timeline. The notebook consists of drawings the child completes, copywork (all biblical I believe; we didn't do this), a glossary, etc. Once in a while there is some discussion and also some report writing. We are on lesson 26 and we've only done about 4 or 5 experiments. There are 64 lessons. We only do one per week so it's taking a while.

The course requires MANY add'l resources/books, and I ended up purchasing many of them because they weren't to be found at my library and they need to be used for a long period of time. I also purchased the audio CD stories. It could get expensive.

What grade levels would you say it was geared towards? The site said 3-7, does that sound about right? I'd say it is closer to the grade 3 than 7. It is pretty light compared to most

How often are experiments done?Maybe once a week? I honestly can't remember

Is it something a strong reader could do on his own?they could do the biographies on their own for sure. COLOR]

Is it something two students could work through together?absolutely!! We did this with 2 different ages

Is it all scheduled out?it tells you what to read when

You can make this program what you want. If you want to add to it, you certainly can and make it much more involved. If you want a simple "fill in" (which is what I wanted) to do over a semester, you can do that too.