Menu

Book suggestions for an almost 4 year old?

Linzy

I am looking for book suggestions, preferably series for an almost four year old reading simple chapter books. He has read the "Frog and Toad" series, " Henry and Mudge" level 2 series, "Oliver and Amanda" pig series (the best fort ever, etc...), Curious George and others. He loves reading and will read a lot! I am just looking for books that are interesting for him with real stories, preferably still with some pictures, challenging to him on a reading level but still on a maturity level he can relate to. Do you get where I am going? On a side note he likes battles, robots, dogs, dinosaurs, pretty much your standard boy fare. Thanks in advance!!

My daughter fell in love with Magic Tree House at that age. I had to do quite a bit of explaining and supplementing, because she just didn't know what a lot of the stuff they talked about was (I don't think she understands Night of the Ninjas to this day). She did much better with the ones that came closer to fantasy.

At that age, mine liked the My Father's Dragon series, anything by Jeanette Oke, the Mercy Watson series, some of the level 4 readers (like the level 1's you find at walmart, but these had to be found online or at local toy stores), and from the library, things like thick books full of classic short stories (Little Red Hen, Three Little Pigs, etc.). Non-fiction was also a big hit. Just walk up and down the junior aisles at the library and see what he grabs. You can read it together at a lower level if necessary, but it's nice to spark interest in topics he wouldn't normally choose simply because he doesn't have the life experience to know what's out there.