Menu

LoF or Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems?

My son is using Mathematics Structure and Method by Dolciani, Sorgenfrey and Graham (published by McDougal Littell). I am ordering the LoF College Prep Set this week, but I know he needs more help with Word Problems.

He sees word problems and totally wigs. He's one of those kids who :hates: to fail and :hates: to try anything he fears he might fail doing, if you know what I mean.

He'll utilize the formulas, and do fine. Put the concept in a word problem and I get tears and "it's too hard, it's too hard." Of course, I calm the child down and have him draw a picture filling in the information he knows, and then he figures it out...

So, I guess what I'm asking -- is if he does LoF Fractions/Decimals and Pre-Algebra, are there enough word problems there, or should I just purchase SM Challenging Word Problems?

I have level 5, and getting level 6 isn't a huge issue. I just don't want to spend money if I don't *have* to. But, this child needs to get over the word problem phobia somehow.

It's my understanding that the 2nd Life of Fred Prealgebra book, to be released this summer (w/economics), will have an emphasis word problems. Otherwise, I think you'd be better off with CWP.

If he has Word Problem Anxiety, LOF does a better job of hiding the word problems than Singapore. I've used both and both are good. I've had one child who has gotten a little annoyed at some of the roundabout nature of Fred and preferred Singapore's more straightforward approach, but that's the very thing that has appealed to (and hidden the fact that they're doing word problems) from my other children.