Menu

Math progression if I want to use Lial's (x-post)

We are using Singapore with my younger kids, and used it with my older 2 through 6B. Then we struggled with finding a good program for upper math, but finally found Lial's Intermediate with my older son, who is doing great with it. So this time how should we transition from Singapore to Lial's? 6B to BCM? 5B to BCM? 6B to Introductory Algebra? What about Geometry? I don't feel a need to rush them, but I don't want to bore them to tears if there is too much overlap between 6B and BCM.

I know this is down the road, but I don't want to repeat my mistakes with this group of kids and waste years re-doing Algebra. Again.

thank you!

I've known several who went from 6B into BCM and then into Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1). How long you spend in BCM will depend on how well your student is with their basic skills.

I personally prefer Algebra 1 in 9th grade--unless the student is a very strong Math person... currently there are way too many 7th and 8th grade students taking Algebra 1... getting by with B's... their foundation will be WEAK... if they could have only had that extra year--their foundation would have been so much stronger and they could have been A students...

I personally prefer Algebra 1 in 9th grade--unless the student is a very strong Math person... currently there are way too many 7th and 8th grade students taking Algebra 1... getting by with B's... their foundation will be WEAK... if they could have only had that extra year--their foundation would have been so much stronger and they could have been A students...

If a students completes Algebra 1 in 9th grade what sequence to you recommend for the rest of high school. My oldest is only 10, but if she stays on the path she is now I don't think she will be ready for Algebra 1 until 9th.

Jan

I've known several who went from 6B into BCM and then into Introductory Algebra (Algebra 1). How long you spend in BCM will depend on how well your student is with their basic skills.

Jann,

I have a 7th grader who will be doing Lial's BCM this year, but I have come to realize that it would probably be better for her to do Algebra 1 in 9th grade. So what would you recommend me do for 7th and 8th. Could I stretch BCM out for two years and supplement with other things. What would you supplement with?

So if you think Alg I should be in grade 9, what would you do with a second grader finishing Singapore 3B?

3rd grade- SM 4A/B

4th- 5A/B

5th- 6A/B

6th- BCM

7th- BCM- if I can really stretch it over 2 years after Singapore 6B. I looked through it and I think he will be bored to death if I spend 2 years on it. This still leaves me at Alg I in 8th grade, and I think he will want to start before that.

He already knows all of his math facts +/-/mult/div, and has long division down pat.

Thoughts?

Possible high school sequence...

Algebra 1 9th

Geometry 10th

Algebra 2 11th

Pre-Calc (or College Algebra /Business Math) depending on student's future objectives 12th

If student will need Calculus for future plans and they are a STRONG math student then Geometry can be taken concurrently with Algebra 2... so Calc can be worked in 12th.

Geometry can also be taken in the summers--half after Algebra 1 and half after Algebra 2... or the whole thing in one LONG summer...

You can work through BCM and then use Lial's Pre-Algebra --same material--but not as much basic review and the problems go a bit deeper...

OR

You can work through BCM supplementing as you go (or afterwards) with something like the Key To series (fractions, decimals, percents and after BCM Key To Algebra)

Note: BCM feeds right into Algebra 1 (Introductory Algebra)... using the text titled 'Pre-Algebra' is not necessary unless your student needs the extra year to prepare/mature before tackling Algebra...

This extra year can mean the difference in making an A verses making a low B or even a C if you rush when they are not ready.... puberty does a number on many kid's logic!

Just move to the next level when that child is ready...

Many students who are strong in the early years level out in 5th-6th grades... so it is a bit early to tell/guess what to expect.

I currently have students who are 11yrs old finishing Geometry --and students who are 17 (almost 18) finishing Geometry.... I teach where the student is at... I also do not accelerate a student unless they are capable of making A's at the higher levels....

If student will need Calculus for future plans and they are a STRONG math student then Geometry can be taken concurrently with Algebra 2... so Calc can be worked in 12th.

Geometry can also be taken in the summers--half after Algebra 1 and half after Algebra 2... or the whole thing in one LONG summer...

Thank you. I don't know if she will need Calculus or not, but I was wondering how to fit it in if she needed it. She is very smart, but not very motivated when it comes to math. Her younger brother is a very different story and will likely catch up (or pass her) in math.

Jan