Menu

Is the cost of online classes (esp Memoria Press) worth it?

I've been looking at buying a couple of online classes for my upcoming 9th grader from Memoria Press. However, after really looking at it I just don't know that one interactive online class a week is worth the difference. For example the online class is $199 a semester; $398 a year. The independent study is $49.95 and I'd buy the DVD's to go with it ($45). I'd do that each semester so it would be half the price of the classes since I already own the books ($94.95 a semester x 2).

In other words it would be $431.80 for a year of logic (Traditional I and II) in the online classes or $221.80 for a year with DVD's and independent study. A bit more than half the price.

Is the class really worth that?

I think it somewhat depends on whether you think the experience of doing the subject at home would be comparable to what the online experience is, intellectually and socially. There are some subjects that for us aren't worth paying the money, either because we can do them well here or because they would not necessarily benefit from the interactive online environment. However, the money we've spent for dd16 to take Lukeion Latin has been worth every penny because of the expertise of her instructor. The money we've spent for Potter's School classes has been worth it (and I highly suspect will be for her upcoming year) because dd has benefitted greatly from an interactive, online discussion format. The money we spend for her to take higher math outside our home is worth it because she always struggled with math and now, because of instruction that I can't give her (due to, let's face it, my own deficits), she loves math and has done very well with it.

That said, there are subjects I don't think would be worth her taking from another instructor, either because I can handle them myself or because her interest isn't strong enough for the online/outsource experience to be worth the money. Two examples would be English and history.

These are just some of the factors we weigh when deciding. Maybe this will help you think about it. Another thing you might do is try to find people who have taken the class online and ask how their student liked the format, the instructor, the class itself. If everyone raves about it, it may be more worth looking into.

:iagree:

Another benefit I've seen with my dd is that she has learned time management, she still procrastinates, but she always gets her work in on time and does it to her best ability. For work I assign, she may occassionally be late and may not put in as much effort. I like to keep her accountable to a couple other teachers per yr to promote this. I think it will make adjusting to college work easier.

I've been looking at buying a couple of online classes for my upcoming 9th grader from Memoria Press. However, after really looking at it I just don't know that one interactive online class a week is worth the difference. For example the online class is $199 a semester; $398 a year. The independent study is $49.95 and I'd buy the DVD's to go with it ($45). I'd do that each semester so it would be half the price of the classes since I already own the books ($94.95 a semester x 2).

In other words it would be $431.80 for a year of logic (Traditional I and II) in the online classes or $221.80 for a year with DVD's and independent study. A bit more than half the price.

Is the class really worth that?

This year we did Latin with Memoria Press, and it was money very well spent. I opted not to do the Logic classes, and we ended up not finishing Logic. So....maybe that's good because really I over-estimated how much we could get done this year; or maybe it's bad and if I had plunked down the money DS would have studied harder and he'd have finished the class.

FWIW, he was very worried about the classes - first time and all. But, he really enjoys it. (OK - he doesn't enjoy *Latin*, but he does like the inter-activeness of the class. Does that make sense?)

I would skip the online class *and* the DVDs for TL I. My boys did it by themselves this year. I had bought the DVDs, but they only watched one or two of them. They were the first set of DVDs produced by Memoria Press (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and consisted mainly of Mr. Cothran reading from the text.

They won't do TL II until next year, so I don't know about it. I would love to hear from someone who has used the TL II DVDs.

I would skip the online class *and* the DVDs for TL I. My boys did it by themselves this year. I had bought the DVDs, but they only watched one or two of them. They were the first set of DVDs produced by Memoria Press (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and consisted mainly of Mr. Cothran reading from the text.

They won't do TL II until next year, so I don't know about it. I would love to hear from someone who has used the TL II DVDs.

:iagree:My kids did not find the DVDs to be helpful. However, TL II was much more challenging than TL I for all three of my dc. It was manageable, but they had gotten used to Logic being "easy" in TL I, and they had to apply themselves a little more for TL II.

:iagree:My kids did not find the DVDs to be helpful. However, TL II was much more challenging than TL I for all three of my dc. It was manageable, but they had gotten used to Logic being "easy" in TL I, and they had to apply themselves a little more for TL II.

OK - yeah - the DVD for TL I is pretty basic and the teacher goes very slowly. So slowly my DS would watch it in some sort of "Fast Forward" mode (like 2x or something), and you couldn't even tell it was on Fast Forward. I haven't bought the materials for TL-2 yet (and don't know that I will).

But, the Latin class, which was something that was a have-to-do at my house was a perfect blend of holding DS's feet to fire, yet giving him enough chances to get it right. (We went to a smaller, Baptist college, and the professors there pretty had much the same philosophy ~ the point being for the student to learn the material, not for the teacher to fail them.)

Thanks for this, Leanna.

When you say the DVDs weren't helpful, are you referring to I or II or both?

Dd did Introductory Logic w/DVDs this year (8th) and she has 1 unit left to go. But, boy its been boring! She says Jim Nance is just getting to the meaty stuff... not hypothetical logic (hope this makes sense; I can't remember dd exact words).

Anway, I think for next year I'm going to jump ship and try Traditional Logic II. I was planning to buy the DVDs. If you could tell me if they are worth the $$? Also, do you know if TD II is worth .5 credit in hs? I'm assuming it's a one sememster course or full year?

Thanks so much for your help!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

Also-

For 2nd dd (going into 7th) when is a good time to start TL I? I may end up buying it for her instead of her using Introd. Logic... she probably won't be as diligent and keep her mind focused as oldest dd ! lol! So, I'm thinking TL 1 might be a better way to go with her (if it's more engaging). I was planning on using Fallacy Detective & Thinking toolbox (already have it on the shelf) with her next year in 7th, but should she do TL I instead? thanks!!!

Anway, I think for next year I'm going to jump ship and try Traditional Logic II. I was planning to buy the DVDs. If you could tell me if they are worth the $$? Also, do you know if TD II is worth .5 credit in hs? I'm assuming it's a one sememster course or full year?

Also-

For 2nd dd (going into 7th) when is a good time to start TL I? I may end up buying it for her instead of her using Introd. Logic... she probably won't be as diligent and keep her mind focused as oldest dd ! lol! So, I'm thinking TL 1 might be a better way to go with her (if it's more engaging). I was planning on using Fallacy Detective & Thinking toolbox (already have it on the shelf) with her next year in 7th, but should she do TL I instead? thanks!!!

The dvds are worthwhile if you want to use them for the instruction or if you want a back-up in the event you are not available to provide instruction. People vary on when they think it is appropriate to begin TL, but 7th grade is fine IMO. Regarding credits, I believe each TL course is worth .5 in HS credits. They are intended for one semester at the HS level and one year at the MS level.

:iagree:

Another benefit I've seen with my dd is that she has learned time management, she still procrastinates, but she always gets her work in on time and does it to her best ability. For work I assign, she may occassionally be late and may not put in as much effort. I like to keep her accountable to a couple other teachers per yr to promote this. I think it will make adjusting to college work easier.

:iagree: Yes! Online/outside classes have been huge in helping my dd withe time management.