Menu

I have made a language decision I am a bit uneasy about. Reassurance?

So, I decided to drop Italian instead of taking it this year, my third year, which a lot of colleges recommend. I am so scared about this because a lot of colleges want three consecutive years of one language.

Why am I doing this?

Welllllll, my past two years of Italian instruction in PS was horrible. First year, teacher was out for 3 months because she had a baby, and even when she came back we didn't learn much.

This year, my teacher likes to side track and talk about things that have nothing to do with Italian. Seriously, it is ridiculous. I believe he does this because he is also a University teacher so he is used to his students being able to teach themselves. We aren't given books so I don't have the resources.

Anyways, I can't find any Italian program that would back up my lack of Italian learning for the past two years that cost less than an arm and a leg. I've looked at them all. Can't find one I like or one that I am completely, 100% confident in.

So, I have decided for next year, to fulfill the three year recommendation for colleges to take 1/2 French I in the summer, 1/2 French 1 Junior year, 1/2 French II Junior year, and 1/2 French II summer before Senior year and then Senior year do French III. I know its a lot but I am really wanting that three years for colleges.

I took French for 6 years in Elementary so I am not a complete stranger to the language and I know, it will be a lot of work, but I think I can do it.

Reassurance? Similar stories? I'm really nervous here.

I think you've made a smart decision. There are many resources available for French, plus you already have a background in it. And it's a great idea to study a language year-round. Great call, tigersgrowl!:)

I think you've made a smart decision. There are many resources available for French, plus you already have a background in it. And it's a great idea to study a language year-round. Great call, tigersgrowl!:)

Thank you for that reassurance. I can't take all the credit. My dad actually suggested it being the smart man that he is. I never would have come up with that.

Have you seen these books? I know they're not cheap by any means, but they're less than the DVD courses and all.

http://www.continentalbook.com/catalog/italian/ittexts.html

Sounds like you could probably skip the 1st book, and use the beginning of the 2nd book as review and proceed from there.

Going with French is much easier as far as finding affordable resources, but honestly it seems like a shame not to continue with your Italian. Even though you've had less than stellar instruction, I would think it would be much less work to continue with Italian than to start all over with French and accomplish three years in two. The rest of your courses are very challenging and rigorous too.

But as you're definitely not afraid of hard work, you'll do great whichever way you choose. :)

ETA: How on earth did I miss that you have taken 6 years of elementary French??? You'll do just fine with the French!!! Great idea!!!

Now you'll have three years of French, and two of Italian on your transcript - awesome!!!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

It is certainly possible to cover more than 1 year of high school foreign language in a year.

My eldest switched from Spanish to German at the end of 10th grade. She took German I over that summer, German II and half of German III in 11th, completed German III and is just about done with German IV in 12th.

HTH to provide some encouragement.

~Moira

I'm with Moira. You should be able to do an entire year's worth of work in a summer, if you put in the hours. If I'm catching your drift, you're saying your background in italian is so weak that any placement test would reveal it and make it look like you shouldn't have gotten the credit? The other option around that is to get a text and bone up. It's a shame to let the italian go entirely. :)

So what are you planning on using for your french? I can't fathom that anyone who had 6 years of french in elementary needs "french 1". I would expect to see it start at a higher level or more quickly progress to a reading course because you have more background.

Well have fun. I've obviously missed a lot of the background on your story. I was a language nut when I was in school (studied 3 in high school), and I stayed that way well into college and early marriage. I took electives in TESL, linguistics, field methods in language learning, advanced grammar, etc., and they were all fun. Actually what I wish I had studied was technical writing. Writing at that time was something I didn't realize was in me, and nobody took the time to see it. That's great that your dad is coming alongside to help you find yourself. :)

The link I posted includes the following:

REVIEW TEXTS FOR ITALIAN

These comprehensive review texts for the Italian language are designed for students who have accomplished a first-year or a two to three year course. They cover grammar, cultural and civilizational topics and provide a multitude of material for practice and evaluation of the speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. Numerous exercises support the students' mastery of Italian. It also includes an appendix with verb conjugation charts, common preposition as well as a bilingual vocabulary list for review, as well as for reference.

• ITALIAN 1ST YEAR :
  • AM164W - Textbook & Exercises ISBN:877205930 $22.95
  • AM164T - Answer Key $9.95

• ITALIAN TWO AND THREE YEARS (in one text):
  • AM538W - Textbook & Exercises ISBN:877205949 $28.95
  • AM538T - Answer Key $9.95

Also, have you looked at the Italian Now books? They're a soft cover text and are often used in high schools for Spanish or French. They're very affordable and available through Amazon or in book stores. Just another thought. :)

On edit: Nevermind on this. I think they only have level one for Italian. :confused:

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Yes they are Amsco and they are review. Considering the two years she's had of Italian, a review text might not be a bad place to start. But there are other programs on the link in my first post. If the French is really how she prefers to go, then that's fine. But I'd hate to see it as a financial decision alone. If nothing else, there must be affordable used programs available.

I hear you. Yes, Italian-as-a-second-language materials are rarer than materials for certain other languages; and to complicate it even more, the best programs are the ones used in European schools and the ones from Italy, which usually assume a tutor and use an Italian-in-Italian approach (which is a LOT better than most other methods, but if you're on your own, it might be tricky to use them). Nearly all of the good programs that I know either assume enough knowledge that you can get through them on your own, either assume a tutor. They're doable, but it's objectively harder than getting your typical French or Spanish course.

The only anglophone variant I can think of which might be good - but I haven't checked - is Teach yourself Italian, it's through English, but conversational, with audio and all. Not sure if you could count it as a high school credit, though, as it's not a "proper" textbook but simply a self-study course.

Changing a language might do it, if you think it's the matter of materials only.

I'm not sure what's your level in French; keep in mind that kids in elementary usually study it at a lot slower pace than in high school, so unless you went to a French immersion school, or had an exceptionally good French at school, it's likely that your French level is comparable or slightly above your Italian level (also take into account the fact you've probably forgotten some if you don't use it).

If I were you, I'd go with the language I find more culturally interesting, the one I'm more likely to have some use and personal satisfaction from. If you think that's French for you, go for it; but if you're more interested in Italian, maybe it's worth it trying to see how you can combine materials, seeing if you can get some kind of tutor to assist you, etc.

Good luck. :)

This year, my teacher likes to side track and talk about things that have nothing to do with Italian. Seriously, it is ridiculous.

I had this same exact thing happen in my *third* year of French. The guy was an idiot, though. He just ruined my French learning, and I never pursued it again after that. Anyway, I've read some of your posts since you joined, and you sound like a go-getter - I think you'll do fine with your plan! And like MJF said, your life won't end after high school - you can get those 3 years of French in for college reqs, and then pursue Italian afterwards.

Now I'm contemplating staying with Italian. I really love the language, and don't wanna give up my work on it.

I was thinking: I could look at guidelines for Italian II/III and then throw in a bunch of books.

For example, a grammar book along with a travelers guide and pick and choose. There has got to be people who have learned that way. I would love a traditional textbook/workbook but they're so expensive and there aren't many options.

So confused, can't wait until everything is ordered and I don't have to worry anymore.

Tigersgrowl, I think you'll do fine either way, but if you want to continue with the Italian, you can get the textbooks for less. I went to the link that I gave you in my first post in this thread, and looked for the first book listed - the textbook and cd that's part of a three level series. New it's about $50, but on this site, you can buy it used for less than $13. Here's the link:

http://www.cheapesttextbooks.com/Reference-Textbooks/Foreign-Languages-Textbooks/Progetto-Italiano-1-Corso-Multimediale-di-Lingua-e-Civilta-Italiana-Italian-Edition-Telis-Marin-Sandro-Magnelli-9606632245-9789606632242.html

If you do some searching, there are other companies which offer used textbooks as well. If you know a program that you're definitely interested in, just post it here, and we can all do some searching and see if we can find a reasonably priced text. :)

Thank you, that was very kind of you. This is exactly the program I wanted, but the price was ridiculous. I was going to just take some grammar and verb books and throw 'em together but this seems a better idea. Thank you :D

If you stick with Italian, the excellent Practice Makes Perfect series also comes in Italian, including one on Advanced Italian Grammar. The series isn't good as a main text, but it's excellent for extra practice and clear explanations.

For third year Italian, you should definitely also add some reading. Continental Books has lots, or if you can manage a field trip to Boston, a day at Schoenhof's is always fun.

ETA: And for listening comprehension, the BBC site also has free Italian resources.

I used the Spanish equivalent to these, the two dvds are probably material covered in Italian 1 and some of Italian 2.

http://www.sdlearn.com/product_p/001050577.htm

We did Spanish 1 this way with a Practice Makes Perfect workbook ordered from Amazon. The only thing I am lacking and that you will also lack is the person who can check your pronunciation and give conversation practice.

My daughter is doing well with self study. My son did Rosetta Stone, and I think I like what we did with my daughter better. You can get information on grammar, vocabulary, culture, etc. You just need a tutor or friend to talk the language with.

Sounds like the Italian you love is back in the running. Yeah! :D

I took Spanish in high school because Italian wasn't available - many of us did. One of my friends took Italian when she got to college and spent a year in Italy as an exchange student. She loved it!!! She's worked for Italian companies, and her command of both Italian and English made her a valued employee.