Menu

Diagramming Sentences

What is the best resource for learning to diagram sentences? DS14 does not have very much experience with sentence diagramming and it is something I want to tackle with him. CLE has a booklet for $2.95 - is this a good resource? I saw samples of Whole Diagramming by Mary Daly and it looked babyish, but I understand SWB suggests it. Help!

The book by Mary Daly has great examples - if you ds can learn that way - but I did not like the workbook.

My favorite resourse is Rod & Staff. The 7th grade book covers all the diagramming you would ever need. Or, you could just buy the Rod and Staff handbook and teach directly from that if you're comfortable with it.

There's also a fabulous book we've been using called "Rex Barks" by Phyllis Davenport, which is all about diagramming and very entertaining. For instance, a preposition is "anything a squirrel can do to a tree!" We found it used on Amazon and have used it a lot. It has exercises and goes into a lot of detail.

Diagraming is an EXCELLENT tool (and a necessity, IMHO) for mastering advanced grammar (phrases and clauses). It's that knowledge which is essential for mastering punctuation and usage.

Don't look at diagraming as a THING to learn. Instead, see it as a tool for learning, does that make sense? I would recommend that you find a program whose aim is mastering grammar and mechanics and uses diagraming to that end. You'll get MUCH more out of that than just learning how to diagram.

Blessings,

I have the Basics of Diagramming book from CLE and while it is an excellent reference book it will not be effective in teaching diagramming. It would be used more to just look up a certain way to diagram whatever part of speech you need. CLE does offer Diagramming Extra Practice Sheets. This book has exercises from simple diagramming through complex sentences (CLE's grade 8). I am using this with my ds to get him used to diagramming before he begins using CLE LA. I'm not sure it would be effective to teach a student everything they need to know about diagramming, but it would make them familiar with what is going on. I would suggest looking for a program that uses diagramming in it, like Analytical Grammar, R & S, or CLE that would really be the most effective way to learn this skill. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

My ds12 used Mary Daly's book with great success. It's simple and step by step.

Eventhough I love Rod and Staff, I think it will be difficult to begin diagramming in their 6th grade and upper books. There seems to be an assumption of knowledge that my son simply did not have.