Menu

What would you do with your 7th/8th gr. to prepare them for high school work?

8th grade was sort of our "meta-educational" year. I knew that my daughter could handle the academic work of high school, even at that point, but there were other things she needed to learn. Some of these are the result of having been homeschooled from the very beginning.

-how to take notes from a text and from a lecture

-how to study for a test

-how to take a test within a specific time limit

-how to make long and short term goals and how to plan for due dates

-how to study from a textbook (we predominately used living books to that point)

-how to write a response to a short essay question

-the dynamics of cooperative learning

-other social aspects of classroom learning, since the likelihood of her being in a classroom environment would increase as she progressed through high school and into college.

8th grade was sort of our "meta-educational" year. I knew that my daughter could handle the academic work of high school, even at that point, but there were other things she needed to learn. Some of these are the result of having been homeschooled from the very beginning.

-how to take notes from a text and from a lecture

-how to study for a test

-how to take a test within a specific time limit

-how to make long and short term goals and how to plan for due dates

-how to study from a textbook (we predominately used living books to that point)

-how to write a response to a short essay question

-the dynamics of cooperative learning

-other social aspects of classroom learning, since the likelihood of her being in a classroom environment would increase as she progressed through high school and into college.

Your list is what my 8th grader needs to work on. How did you work on these issues? What did you use to take notes from a lecture that isn't too far over the head of a 13 year-old?

Thanks,

Iris

Your list is what my 8th grader needs to work on. How did you work on these issues? What did you use to take notes from a lecture that isn't too far over the head of a 13 year-old?

Thanks,

Iris

Do you think one of the Teaching Company DVDs would work for this if it were a topic the student were interested in? I have a couple that I was thinking I could use for this...

Next year I'm having my 8th grader keep spread sheet on his test scores, notebook grades and other scores. My older ds never knows exactly what his grade will be because he doesn't keep track.

We will be watching The Teaching Company "How to Become a Superstar Student" in grade 8. TONS of helpful info!!

Big ones for us are to be academically prepared to succeed. That means in ALL subjects. I was too light with science and modern foreign language in jr. high so we've been doing more with second ds.

Do you think one of the Teaching Company DVDs would work for this if it were a topic the student were interested in? I have a couple that I was thinking I could use for this...

Yes, they would probably work very well. I used TTC How to Understand and Listen to Great Music for this in 9th grade for my ds (it wasn't DVD's, but audio cassettes--even so, it worked well). I included it in his music curriculum also, so it served a dual purpose, without being too high pressure (he didn't have to rely on those notes, just get experience taking them.)

That's exactly what we did! We used a Teaching Company literature course, and I had her take notes during the lectures. She also took an outside physical science class two days a week where she took notes during the class time, and learned how to ignore things like other kids passing notes, not paying attention, filing their nails during class, etc. :lol: