Menu

Character curriculum... Dh has written character curriculum & wanted me to ask you...

Dh has written two versions of his character development program, one for adults and one for teens. The objective of both programs is character development and enrichment through the building of personal core values.

The adult program has been in use for about 6 years, and the youth program for about 2 years. Although we are Christian, both of the programs are secular programs because they are used by state-supported entities. Our county's state and municipal courts currently use the adult program as a pretrial diversion program, and it has been taught in prisons and youth detention centers. One public school in a nearby county has used dh's program as a business ethics class. Businesses have used it for employee training, and it has even been used at church leadership retreats.

Dh is considering writing another version of his program exclusively for the homeschool market. What he would like to know is:

1) Is there a market in the homeschool community for something of this sort?

2) If so, what format do you think would work best for homeschoolers--student workbook & TE/manual, workbook & TE/manual plus instructional DVD's, or something else?

Yes, I definitely think there is a market for it in the homeschooling world- ESPECIALLY since it is secular! For us secular folks, character curriculum is not so easy to find, especially for teens!

As for format...I personally love ebooks, but I am prejudiced since I live in Australia and it's so expensive to post here. Other than that, some sort of workbook format is great. Its hard to squeeze things in timewise for teens, so something pick up and go would be awesome.

What Peela said. Other than that, if you're going to offer dvds, we'd appreciate a voice clip online so we can be sure the accent is ok for us.

Rosie

Lol, really Rosie? You have had problems with accents, or was that tongue in cheek?

I am not so much into DVD learning myself- I am not patient enough with listening or watching people- I rather read, myself.

Yes, I definitely think there is a market for it in the homeschooling world- ESPECIALLY since it is secular! For us secular folks, character curriculum is not so easy to find, especially for teens!

As for format...I personally love ebooks, but I am prejudiced since I live in Australia and it's so expensive to post here. Other than that, some sort of workbook format is great. Its hard to squeeze things in timewise for teens, so something pick up and go would be awesome.

:thumbup: All this!

Yes, I think a secular character curriculum would have a good market, even amongst some Christians. Sometimes our teens don't want to hear the Bible again, or there could be other reasons.

As for format, I can't say what the best one would be, but the more affordable, the better IMO.

I, personally LOVE downloadable stuff! It's instant and I love it!!! Plus- hey- it's cheaper for you guys!

And where cam I find this???? I wish there was one for my boys! (Ages 11 & 12yrs)

What about an option for both? Downloadable & in print?

...please PM me and I'll send you dh's web address (unfortunately, it needs updating :(, but it will give you some idea of what he does), and if you want, I can send you a brochure that tells more about the specifics of the program. BUT keep in mind that the program is not currently tailored to meet the unique needs of homeschoolers.