Menu

SAT or ACT after Teaching Textbooks? Results?

Okay, I'm really looking at this. Has anyone done at least 2 of the upper level (Alg1 and Above programs) and taken an SAT, ACT, plan, or PSAt or any achievement test? I don't need specific numbers,l just below average, average or above average. I would love numbers but only if you care to share. Just weighing out the decision of Saxon or TT for dd who wants to continue with Singapore NEM, but I'm just not that smart! Oh, with Saxon, we will use Art Reed DVD's or TT has the DVD's obviously.

Thanks

Sandra

She's ready for TT pre-algebra or Saxon 87

Hi Sandy!

My dd did TT Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2. She started Pre-Cal but switched to Saxon Adv. Math then Cal. I don't remember her PSAT score but she's a national merit finalist, only missed 2 in math on her SAT and had a math 34 on the ACT. She did the programs totally on her own and used the DIVE DVD's with the Saxon. We decided to switch back to Saxon when she decided she wanted to go into computer engineering. She didn't like the TT pre-cal and we wanted to be sure she had a solid foundation for college. She was accepted straight into engineering and honor's programs at every college she applied to and starts at Rose-Hulman this summer. FWIW, dh and I are both math challenged and haven't had a class in 30+ years:lol:

Susann

Edited by Susann
update info

Okay, I'm really looking at this. Has anyone done at least 2 of the upper level (Alg1 and Above programs) and taken an SAT, ACT, plan, or PSAt or any achievement test? I don't need specific numbers,l just below average, average or above average. I would love numbers but only if you care to share. Just weighing out the decision of Saxon or TT for dd who wants to continue with Singapore NEM, but I'm just not that smart! Oh, with Saxon, we will use Art Reed DVD's or TT has the DVD's obviously.

[deleted]

ETA: Hmm...I just noticed that you've apparently been buying and selling copies of TT PreAlgebra & Alg I on the Sale Forum, so I'm wondering why you're asking for recommendations as if your DD might use it? Surely if you were interested in your DD using TT, then you wouldn't have just sold 2 copies of PreAlgebra (a week after offering another seller here well below her asking price for her copy) plus a copy of Alg I?

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Interesting... however, assuming you're serious... my oldest got 700 on the SAT taking it March of his junior year while taking Pre-Calc. He got a 33 on the ACT taking it fall of his senior year.

My middle son got a 34 on the ACT taking it April of his sophomore year while taking Pre-Calc. He ought to do very well on the PSAT/SAT this coming fall as a junior.

He did take the PSAT as a sophomore, but only got a 61 (I think, maybe 63 or 65, my memory is getting old) on the math - mainly because of time issues. He didn't finish the first section of math (by quite a few problems, but I no longer remember the exact number). He picked it up for the second math section and only missed 2 on that part, and, of course, he's worked the speed out for the ACT (only missed 2 math questions in math).

Additional note to all - taking the PSAT sophomore year is a GREAT idea to prepare students for the "real" testing their junior year. It's only $15 and helps them get prepared for things like time issues in a real time setting.

Yes, you are noticing correctly. Also notice my name, ilovemy4kids My oldest did all of these levels - alg 1 alg 2, but never took an act, sat or standardized test, she married and I now have an 8 month old grandchild. I saved them for the next one, she did 1/2 of alg 1 but then went to a coop group and used bju alg 1 and will attend calvary bible college in the fall. She is currently doing consumer math with the cle light units. She has dyslexia, CAPD and partial hearing loss. TT did not work for her. Next child now 13 almost 14 did Math 7, started TT pre- alg along with videotext so we bought the pre-alg for him. When older sis started at the coop using BJU Alg 1 they said he should go also and take Alg 1 with BJU. BIG MISTAKE..... he just finished the year and we ended up calling it pre alg and he is now happily using Saxon with Mr. Reeds DVD's. He met him at our MPE conference he chose Saxon himself over returning to TT or videotext. Onto youngest child, we had a family crisis in October. I left and went to California for over a month. She started using TT pre alg which dad got her - not realizing I already had 2 complete sets in the basement math box. I had two because I had planned on her getting to it before brother finished it. So, I ended up with 3 pre algebras 2 complete sets, and 1 without CD's. I sold one on the forums, listed the second one, sold it, boxed it up on Friday night 2 nights ago, told son to put it in the back of the truck, should have said, backseat. It was soaked so I just returned her money last night. Now I am still in possession of (1 water logged set, the CD's are fine, and 1 set without CD's) Hence why I had some listed. If we choose not to use this for our youngest, they will all be sold, except the water logged one which will be given away if salvageable. Hope that clarifys it for you. I am serious. The decision on Saxon or TT for the youngest is driving me nuts!

Blessings

Sandra

Saxon 8/7 is great prep for algebra. The last 30 lessons or so pack in a lot of new material, so allow time for that and don't rush through them. A lot of the rest of the book was a lot of review from 7/6, but in hind sight, it was probably building slightly on what had already been learned. Repetition is the best way to get a firm foundation, in my opinion. I know nothing about TT, so can't help you with that.

Thanks so much for responding, I have the saxon 8/7 now and the Dive DVD for it (Art Reeds isn't done yet for 8/7. I am going to let my daughter choose which series she would like to use, I guess in the long run, as long as she is prepared for college (not worried about her clepping out or something like that), it will be fine. I just want her to be able to go to college.

I do like the timed drills that are with 8/7, that is something we have never done much of in the past.

Even if you choose to go with a different program, I'd still recommend doing the Saxon drills. They're great for getting comfortable with metric and also for converting from fractions to decimals - both important in algebra. I think the mental math is great too - I wish they continued that even into the higher math books. We did it orally and that made it fun and a bit more challenging as she was listening instead of looking at the problems.

Thank you for sharing! My husband went to Rose, and I am up in the air on using TT again, so happy to read this.

Hi Sandy!

My dd did TT Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2. She started Pre-Cal but switched to Saxon Adv. Math then Cal. I don't remember her PSAT score but she's a national merit finalist, only missed 2 in math on her SAT and had a math 34 on the ACT. She did the programs totally on her own and used the DIVE DVD's with the Saxon. We decided to switch back to Saxon when she decided she wanted to go into computer engineering. She didn't like the TT pre-cal and we wanted to be sure she had a solid foundation for college. She was accepted straight into engineering and honor's programs at every college she applied to and starts at Rose-Hulman this summer. FWIW, dh and I are both math challenged and haven't had a class in 30+ years:lol:

Susann