Menu

High school math/ transcript question

My ds is only in 7th gr but I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for a high school plan.

My question is about high school math texts and transcripts. If I am required to list textbooks we used for specific college applications or for NCAA certification do you think that non-traditional texts will look bad? That may be a stupid question but I wonder what an admissions counselor or an official at the NCAA will think of textbooks with names like LOF or MUS.

I doubt my son will be applying to the types of small Christian colleges that are very familiar and flexible with homeschoolers.

If my ds can be successful with a standard text do you think it is an advantage to show that he has taken traditional courses with standard texts?

I can't picture feeling totally comfortable listing LOF or MUS as our texts. That is not because I think they are inferior but because I think the titles sound unprofessional and might cause some raised eyebrows if you were not familiar with them.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Are you required to list text books? My ISP (which is affiliated with a private school) will do our transcripts and texts aren't listed. We do fill out a Course of Study and Course Descriptions (texts are listed on the Course of Study). Maybe they aren't listed because those are in their cume file?

My ds is 8th grade, so I'm only a year ahead of you. Ds would like to play high school and college basketball. I want to be very, very careful about pleasing the NCAA. I've even called and chatted with them, and I encourage you to do the same. Then, share everything you learn. :D Have you looked at their website? Check out the homeschool links at the bottom of the page. They want to know what textbooks you used.

OTOH, I've heard that the NCAA is not trying to keep hs'ers out of college athletics; they are just making sure that homeshooled high school athletes haven't slacked off in their academics. When I called, I remember them saying that they knew most of the major hs programs. I called and chatted with them about what I was planning on using for 9th grade. Particularly, the things that do not use traditional textbooks or do not use textbooks at all. I've even tweaked what I was going to use to be very, very sure that it is up to snuff as high school material.

I haven't heard of any colleges asking to know what textbooks the homeschool student has used, but the NCAA definitely wants to know. There are a few threads on these forums tagged with ncaa. You might find it helpful to read them. You may even want to start a new thread with NCAA in the subject. Perhaps some of the parents of newly graduating seniors will share their experience.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My ds is 8th grade, so I'm only a year ahead of you. Ds would like to play high school and college basketball. I want to be very, very careful about pleasing the NCAA. I've even called and chatted with them, and I encourage you to do the same. Then, share everything you learn. :D Have you looked at their website? Check out the homeschool links at the bottom of the page. They want to know what textbooks you used.

OTOH, I've heard that the NCAA is not trying to keep hs'ers out of college athletics; they are just making sure that homeshooled high school athletes haven't slacked off in their academics. When I called, I remember them saying that they knew most of the major hs programs. I called and chatted with them about what I was planning on using for 9th grade. Particularly, the things that do not use traditional textbooks or do not use textbooks at all. I've even tweaked what I was going to use to be very, very sure that it is up to snuff as high school material.

I haven't heard of any colleges asking to know what textbooks the homeschool student has used, but the NCAA definitely wants to know. There are a few threads on these forums tagged with ncaa. You might find it helpful to read them. You may even want to start a new thread with NCAA in the subject. Perhaps some of the parents of newly graduating seniors will share their experience.

That's interesting Sue, thanks! I was wondering why/where textbooks would be listed on a transcript. Do they want them listed on the transcript or separately? What if someone else does your transcripts and does them without listing texts?

Thank you, Sue.

I do want to be careful to please the NCAA and I did just read that they want to know what textbooks are used.

I wanted to go with an accredited online program (such as Indiana University online or Seton) to make it easier BUT use of those programs disqualifies students in my state from the lottery scholarship.

I am trying to make sure I don't mess this up. I know many homeschoolers do not need diplomas but I do think it is easier to get through the NCAA with the official diploma.

I read in a book last night that the NCAA does not allow courses taken online but I think that is to prevent the typical high schooler from having someone else take their course. From what I just read at their website it seems that they do accept online courses for homeschoolers.

I feel like I need to make sure I have a plan set not to mess this up. To meet the needs of the NCAA, qualify for the state lottery scholarship, and stay legal in my state may not be easy.

Thanks!

Marie

Typically textbooks are not listed on a transcript (public schools don't). However, in YOUR records it IS good to keep a list of all your textbooks (with author, edition, AND photocopy of the table of contents so show what the text covered -- esp. if you resell curriculum frequently), which you can then use to create course descriptions which often ARE asked for by smaller or more rigorous or more specialized colleges. Or to ensure you've covered the material needed for specific programs or for sports, etc.

I find that our family saying is really applying to all these transcript and record keeping issues that I'm encountering as our DSs near graduation: "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Okay-

So I plan to keep very good records and I do anticipate that there may be a need for it for the NCAA or for some specialized college or program.

Back to the question, then. Do you believe there is a disadvantage to using a non-traditional course such as LOF or TT in these circumstances? If a child can do well in a standard text do you feel like that is an advantage over using a text such as LOF or MUS?

I like LOF and MUS and I've used Chalkdust. Is there any reason to feel more comfortable listing the Chalkdust texts? I have to admit, for some reason, I would rather not try to explain who Fred is.

I find myself leaning toward a standard text just for "looks". I wonder if that is silly or if there is some basis in reality to feel that way.

Maybe it is silly but I've been doing way too much thinking about high school lately and this is the question of the day:001_smile:

That's interesting Sue, thanks! I was wondering why/where textbooks would be listed on a transcript. Do they want them listed on the transcript or separately? What if someone else does your transcripts and does them without listing texts?

The NCAA gives an example of a home school transcript here. If someone else does your transcripts and doesn't lists texts, the NCAA will not approve your student until you have pleased them, I imagine.

I wanted to go with an accredited online program (such as Indiana University online or Seton) to make it easier BUT use of those programs disqualifies students in my state from the lottery scholarship.

I am trying to make sure I don't mess this up. I know many homeschoolers do not need diplomas but I do think it is easier to get through the NCAA with the official diploma.

I read in a book last night that the NCAA does not allow courses taken online but I think that is to prevent the typical high schooler from having someone else take their course. From what I just read at their website it seems that they do accept online courses for homeschoolers.

I feel like I need to make sure I have a plan set not to mess this up. To meet the needs of the NCAA, qualify for the state lottery scholarship, and stay legal in my state may not be easy.

I hear ya! I can drive myself crazy worrying about it all. Originally, I thought that I would just use Clonlara since they are accredited, but part of me dislikes having to hide the fact that we homeschool. I'm actually rather proud of it. That and the overall opinion that the NCAAA is not out to prevent hs'ers from participating in college athletics help to calm me down.

I know I specifically asked about online classes. One we use does not use a text and we discussed how they would asses if it was appropriate high school level. One I had planned used 2 texts and we discussed how to determine if they were high school level (one was and one wasn't which is why ds will be taking a different course with a definitely high school text). The last I plan is computer programming with a high school text. Most computer programming will be high school anyway.

Finally, you apply for NCAA membership (is that what it's called?) as a junior. So, you do have time in your senior year to make adjustments if necessary.

I plan to use CC as much as possible. Here, it's free in 10th grade. It ought to please the NCAA.

Do you believe there is a disadvantage to using a non-traditional course such as LOF or TT in these circumstances? If a child can do well in a standard text do you feel like that is an advantage over using a text such as LOF or MUS?

I would call and ask. Get the answer from the horse's mouth. Then, share the answer here. I am almost willing to bet that they know LoF, MUS, and TT. Here's the number: Phone: 877/ 262-1492 or 317/ 223-0700. Follow the prompts or request to be directed to the home school department.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
The NCAA gives an example of a home school transcript here. If someone else does your transcripts and doesn't lists texts, the NCAA will not approve your student until you have pleased them, I imagine.

Thanks Sue! I wonder how much depends on state regulations as well. In CA homeschoolers can be their own private schools or be part of an ISP that is their own private school. I'm not sure they'd be able to tell the student was homeschooled by their transcripts. I'm NOT saying one should lie, just wondering if maybe there is something I'm missing in terms of identifying home schoolers. I also wonder if they would ask the same of students who graduate from private schools, since that's what many home schools technically are in CA. I don't have any interested in basketball, just find this very interesting!

I was wondering why/where textbooks would be listed on a transcript. Do they want them listed on the transcript or separately?

My daughter applied to ten colleges. A number of them (particularly the more selective ones) requested more documentation above and beyond the transcript. We submitted course descriptions as part of her application package. Many who do submit course descriptions choose to list the title of the textbook used there. I did not. I included a text book list as part of her reading list (which some of the colleges also requested). I did not include any textbook information on the transcript itself.

For a textbook in the Life of Fred series, I'd be inclined to list something along the lines of:

Algebra by Stanley Schmidt

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Sue! I wonder how much depends on state regulations as well. In CA homeschoolers can be their own private schools or be part of an ISP that is their own private school. I'm not sure they'd be able to tell the student was homeschooled by their transcripts. I'm NOT saying one should lie, just wondering if maybe there is something I'm missing in terms of identifying home schoolers. I also wonder if they would ask the same of students who graduate from private schools, since that's what many home schools technically are in CA. I don't have any interested in basketball, just find this very interesting!

slight hijack: If you're homeschooling in California, your dc are enrolled in a private school, whether you file the affidavit yourself or enroll in a PSP (private school satellite program, a term which replaces "ISP"), although there is no difference in the way the affidavit is filed.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
slight hijack: If you're homeschooling in California, your dc are enrolled in a private school, whether you file the affidavit yourself or enroll in a PSP (private school satellite program, a term which replaces "ISP"), although there is no difference in the way the affidavit is filed.

I know :) I was just listing the 2 most commonways those of us in CA homeschool as a private school because most don't know.