Menu

Another Latin thread

Tam101

There are so many I almost hate to start a new thread, but I've been reading past threads and reading reviews for the last couple hours and my head is about to explode. :lol:

I'm thinking of one of two things for my 3rd grader with no previous Latin. (I have no experience either!) I want classical, Christian is good, but not required, primary purposes would be translation, pronunciation, and grammar.

So, Getting Started with Latin in 3rd grade and then move to Latin for Children in 4th OR just start with LFC? I'm concerned LFC might be too difficult for his age and the cost, but if I could get the DVD's used that would save a bundle.

I've also kicked around Latin's Not So Tough starting with Lvl 2, but the mixed reviews have me concerned.

Thanks for your input.

GSWL will definitely give you lots of grammar and translation.

I'm not familiar with LfC.

We love GSWL. When we're finished, we're moving on to Henle (7 and 9 y.o.'s) though I am occasionally tempted to go with First Form Latin instead (though I'm not sure whether it has enough translation to suit me). I have some syllabi from Mother of Divine Grace for the Henle.

I'd wait until you get a little further along in GSWL before purchasing your next curriculum. In shopping for your next curriculum, keep in mind which pieces of grammar your child already will have learned by the end of GSWL (if you haven't already seen it, there's a list at http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/faq.php )

Based on advice from the Hive, I used Latin For Children A with my dd 2nd grade and ds 3rd grade. We are only half way through, we started in March, but they are keeping up better than I expected and they love it. They use the Flashdash program that is free online from the publishers and listen to the CD vocab each day. We watch the DVD's for the teaching portion because he explains it so much better than I do. We finish one or two of the activity pages each week and complete the worksheet and quiz. It is very easy for me to use and with consistent practice I think they are doing very well. I am quite happy with the program!

Not to hijack, but I don't have my book anymore, gave it to a new homeschooler and we are in the middle of moving so I don't want to order a new one just yet. When does WTM say to start latin? Wondering if it's time to start DS 8 this coming year, and whether or not to have DD who will be 6 start with him. Also standing by for curriculum suggestions.... ;)

If you're unsure of jumping right into LFC you might consider Song School Latin to get your feet wet. It's made by the same company. A third grader could easily move through each lesson in 3 days, rather than one lesson a week. SSL doesn't get into too much grammar, but it is parts to whole, easy, and fun. With SSL you'd just need the student workbook. It comes with a song disk stuck in the back of it, and it's easy enough to teach without a TM.

I think an average third grader would do ok in LFC A, but there's no harm in holding it off until fourth. The three levels of LFC are designed to go up to sixth grade, so you'd still finish it "on schedule."

I disagree with a PP's comment about skipping the DVDs, especially considering you don't have previous Latin experience. I also had no previous Latin experience before beginning LFC A and SSL with my children, and consider the disks that come with both sets to be vital. The pronunciation guide in the books just can't make up for hearing someone else speak the words. The activity book and history reader are considered optional if you need to cut costs.

Edited by SilverMoon

If you're unsure of jumping right into LFC you might consider Song School Latin to get your feet wet. It's made by the same company. A third grader could easily move through each lesson in 3 days, rather than one lesson a week. SSL doesn't get into too much grammar, but it is parts to whole, easy, and fun. With SSL you'd just need the student workbook. It comes with a song disk stuck in the back of it, and it's easy enough to teach without a TM.

I think an average third grader would do ok in LFC A, but there's no harm in holding it off until fourth. The three levels of LFC are designed to go up to sixth grade, so you'd still finish it "on schedule."

This is exactly what we did. I started DS in LFC A and he was keeping up okay with it but (around lesson 6) I decided to shelve it for 4th grade and start over with SSL. He did great with the vocabulary but he just wasn't ready for the grammar in LFC.