Menu

Little Hands to Heaven and Sonlight P3/4

Marsha

Depends on what you're looking for...lots of cuddled up reading time via a schedule or fun activities that teach, takes up little of your day, and leaves plenty of time for the cuddled up reading of whatever and whenever you want. We opted for LHTH and LOVE it!!!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

You could do both easily. We are doing LHTH with my 2 year old. It teaches letters, beginning phonics, and numbers. Sonlight P3/4 is just a reading list, no activities to go with it.

I was SO excited to use LHTH with my 3 yr.old dd. And I was SO disappointed when I did:( I didn't want anything rigorous, but found myself saying "Is that it?" at the end of every lesson. The suggested reading took all of 5 minutes. She looked at me like I was crazy when I tried to do the "dramatic play". She did, however, enjoy the songs and finger plays. It just didn't engage her the way I had hoped it would. However, I purchased it after reading MANY positive reviews so apparently it works well for a lot of people.

We love LHTH...I am using it with our SN DD and our 2yo, it takes us about a half hour. There is a nice mix of craft ideas and listening skills and moving around. Perfect fit for us. We still have plenty of time left to read good books and just do fun stuff.

I tried to use LHTH for my first when he was 2.5, but it wasn't for us. He was already past all of the learning activities (knew his alphabet/letter sounds and could count past 10 already) and the other activities didn't appeal to him at all. It was an even worse fit for my second. It's still sitting on the shelf, but I haven't used it much.

SL's P3/4 has been perfect for my 2nd ds and I wish I'd known about it for my first. All three of my boys enjoy the stories and the extras (Mighty Mind and Teddy Mix-and-Match) have been huge hits. It's been a great investment for us.

Guest Cindie2dds

We tried LHTH for my youngest and it was too quick and uninteresting to her. I thought it was sweet. We've enjoyed Sonlight's P3/4 over and over.

If you want a lot of reading via a program I'd go with Sonlight or Winter Promise. Little Hands in a fabulous, easy on Mom program. It takes 30 mins to read the devotional, Bible story, finger play, and go over the letter or number for that day. I do Little Hands with Winter Promise's two pre-k programs, we have a ball with them all! I use Winter Promises JTI for my reading program and their RTL for skills to get ready for big kid school. I use the older versions of both programs. You could also do Little Hands and read books from the library that are age appropriate.

Kim