Menu

Standardized test scores - Language Mechanics?

My ds12's Stanford test results arrived today, and for the most part, I was very pleased with the results. He's in 6th grade, very self-directed and independent in his work and fun to teach. Let me say right off, I am not complaining, not trying to compare. Two of my other ds are struggling learners and I know these scores are good; my question is regarding how to strengthen weak areas for this particular ds.

Most of his scores (math, reading, spelling) were PHS equivalency, with a notable departure in the area of language mechanics, where he scored in the 42nd percentile. We have done a very Charlotte Mason sort of LA program (after he became deathly allergic to R&S in 2nd grade), using PLL and ILL, with a grammar workbook each year. He has done a fair amount of writing using ILL, and when I edit (I was an English major and journalist), he seems to have a good understanding of grammar usage. Obviously, however, there's something more we could do. The student report states that language mechanics includes "capitalization, usage and punctuation." I am trying to plan his LA for next year and had considered LLATL, but now am wondering whether that is strong enough in this area. I've considered CLE but am wondering about that same "allergic" reaction in him, LOL.

Can anyone recommend a product or program that can help with this particular area of LA?

Thanks so much,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Just a note to add that his score for language mechanics was 42% for private schools, 56% for public; his score for language expression was in the 78th percentile. Here's the odd thing: I just dug out last year's test scores, and last year he scored in the 97th percentile for mechanics and the 99.9th for expression. What on earth could explain a drop like that? I haven't seen an indication of it in his schoolwork.

Again, any recommendations for curriculum to address this area would be appreciated.

Blessings,

Aimee

We haven't gotten our scores back yet this year, so I don't know how it worked out. But DS' scores were somewhat low last year in Language Mechanics so I had him work through a book called "Improve Your Punctuation" for a direct attack so to speak. We have used Abeka's grammar from 3rd-6th grades, but decided to wing it this year since DS' schedule was so language heavy (spelling, writing, poetry, lots of Omnibus readings, Latin.) He knows a complete sentence from an incomplete one, all the parts of speech, how to find the topic sentence, etc. We just really needed to nail down punctuation.

I'll try to remember to update once we get his scores and see whether it was a reasonable gamble. Oh, for about half the year he also did Daily Grams, but there is no instruction so it wasn't the time-saver I thought it would be.

As to the sudden drop, it could be that the material was just more challenging this year. Or that he was hungry/tired/in a hurry to finish and didn't pay close attention. But one year DS' score in math just plummeted. On a closer look I saw that he had only attempted something like ten out of thirty problems. I asked him if he'd had any trouble with it and he said no. I also remember talking to him after he finished the math section on test day and he'd said it wasn't too hard then. We finally concluded he must have skipped a page by mistake. :S That year I had him take the CAT so I could submit both scores to the county with a written explanation of what had happened, just to be sure we wouldn't catch any flack over it.

Edited by Suzannah

Thank you, I appreciate that input. I just looked at his scores again and see that his weak areas were in punctuation (average) and capitalization (below average). Perhaps we need a direct attack as well! I will look for "Improve your Punctuation," thanks!

Blessings,

Aimee

Just a note to add that his score for language mechanics was 42% for private schools, 56% for public; his score for language expression was in the 78th percentile. Here's the odd thing: I just dug out last year's test scores, and last year he scored in the 97th percentile for mechanics and the 99.9th for expression. What on earth could explain a drop like that? I haven't seen an indication of it in his schoolwork.

Again, any recommendations for curriculum to address this area would be appreciated.

Blessings,

Aimee

With that much of a drop in one year, I wouldn't be concerned. It is very possible that he got "off a line" with marking his answers. I would probably continue as before, but pay a little closer attention to make sure I don't see any glaring areas to address. If his scores are still lower than they should be next testing period, I would take more aggressive action.

After multiple grammar programs, my daughter (rising 5th grader) *still* doesn't seem to consistently get punctuation and capitalization. Her testing scores in every other area of language arts are light years above these areas. We are trying the MCT Town series, but I am focusing on the punctuation and capitalization via "Caught 'Ya: Grammar with a Giggle." The text gives three different silly story lines (one for elementary, one for middle and one for high school). The students are given a sentence a day to correct. We just started this week, but I'm hoping it helps.

This is essentially an editing workbook. It has paragraphs with 7-9 errors of punctuation in it that they have to correct. We have done 2 per week this year. I think it helps them focus on just mechanics. Though I will say, a drop like that sounds like he might of just spaced it for a few questions. I am not sure I would worry too much.

Here's the odd thing: I just dug out last year's test scores, and last year he scored in the 97th percentile for mechanics and the 99.9th for expression. What on earth could explain a drop like that?

Could he have gotten off in the bubbles?

My son scored in the 99th percentile last year on the ITBS language test. He didn't miss a single question on the whole test. This year, he missed more than half on the capitalization subtest. And he didn't get off with the bubbles.

I will be adding in something like Daily Grams to address this issue.

With that much of a drop in one year, I wouldn't be concerned. It is very possible that he got "off a line" with marking his answers. I would probably continue as before, but pay a little closer attention to make sure I don't see any glaring areas to address. If his scores are still lower than they should be next testing period, I would take more aggressive action.

:iagree: It is also possible that he was careless at the end of a long day, or hungry just before lunch and rushing through it. When I test kids, I usually give the parents a copy of our schedule so that they can see if the time of day may be to blame.

My ds12's Stanford test results arrived today, and for the most part, I was very pleased with the results. He's in 6th grade, very self-directed and independent in his work and fun to teach. Let me say right off, I am not complaining, not trying to compare. Two of my other ds are struggling learners and I know these scores are good; my question is regarding how to strengthen weak areas for this particular ds.

Most of his scores (math, reading, spelling) were PHS equivalency, with a notable departure in the area of language mechanics, where he scored in the 42nd percentile. We have done a very Charlotte Mason sort of LA program (after he became deathly allergic to R&S in 2nd grade), using PLL and ILL, with a grammar workbook each year. He has done a fair amount of writing using ILL, and when I edit (I was an English major and journalist), he seems to have a good understanding of grammar usage. Obviously, however, there's something more we could do. The student report states that language mechanics includes "capitalization, usage and punctuation." I am trying to plan his LA for next year and had considered LLATL, but now am wondering whether that is strong enough in this area. I've considered CLE but am wondering about that same "allergic" reaction in him, LOL.

Can anyone recommend a product or program that can help with this particular area of LA?

Thanks so much,

Aimee

Aimee, it looks like you are doing a wonderful job with your ds. I personally wouldn't change your LA curriculum. I would suggest adding something to supplement for language mechanics. My fave is Daily Language Review by Evan-Moor. The book is divided into 36 weeks and he would do a section per day M-F. I use this with my ds as a supplement to GWG. They also have a book titled Daily Paragraph Editing.

Check out the website. You can view a ton of sample pages. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're noticing usage mistakes in his writing, I would look at something like Jensen's Punctuation. I've got my eye on it for my DD if she doesn't improve on her own in a few years. Right now I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude since she's still young but with a 12 y.o. I would definitely consider trying it.