Menu

Please talk to me about miquon math

But I got no replies so maybe someone can snswer my questions here.

Is it imperative that I use it with another program like singapore or Math mammoth?

In reading the teacher materials Do i need to read them seperatly or use them as a sort of reference to eachother.

It might just be my anxeity but i feel like i'm missing something.

Is orange book the place to start with a rising first grader?

If I use singapore or math mammoth which do I start with and how do I use them togeather?

Sorry to the OP for the hijack!:001_smile:

Per usual, I'll ditto Paula's post.

One does not "need" to use another program, but a combination like Miquon and Singapore (and I'd suspect Miquon and MM) is going to be strongerio than either one alone. These have different strengths, and when put together there is synergy. And, if your experience is like mine, the exposure in Miquon inspires a love of math as a subject, so adding more fun elements is a positive for the child instead of a dread. But there are people who have used nothing but Miquon very successfully.

IMO Miquon is a far better introduction to Singapore than the Earlybird set from Singapore. I would start informally, the take up Orange (with Red on hand) and be free to adopt and add material as necessary. Just get into the spirit of the "Miquon-way". Then you could start EB, or Singapore 1A, or MM.

For me Miquon is used to "turn the lights on." To give my son an opportunity to make discoveries, and a chance for me to teach "concretely" before we re-visit the concepts in other materials. For us there is an improvisational aspect to the " math-lab" approach that might seem "messy" to an outsider, but I know (being involved) that he "gets it" or if there is a question that it gets cleared up using Miquon-like means.

It is a fun way to do math.

Bill

Bill,

Forgive me for going a bit off-topic here, but having read so many of your posts, and realizing your math experience with your kids is so very, very similar to my dh's and my experience with ours... I need to ask if you are aware of the Mitsumasa Anno math books. If you aren't, forgive my presumption, but you need to get them. Math Games, Math Games II, Math Games III, Anno's Hat Tricks, Multiplying Jar. The Three Pigs for a few years down the road. You may have to search; they're OOP.

You clearly understand the need for conceptual building blocks and acquiring a deep understanding of the structure of math. This is what the Anno books are for. Most of them involve no numbers at all, but introduce concepts ranging from place value to factorials to functions to combinatorics. Snuggle down with the child, discuss one page at a time until you reach a page that doesn't quite "click," then go on to the next game. Eventually they'll be able to go all the way through all the games. And when they first encounter in their math text, for instance, f(x) = x^2 +1, they'll say "oh it's just like the Anno two-way machine game!"

Forgive the long and presumptuous aside. But I haven't seen you mention Anno, and it horrified me to think you might be unaware of these books.

We began our Mitsumasa Anno exploration this week-end. What charming books! I'm very grateful you mentioned them.

Bill

I started using Miquon about 2 months ago hoping that it would re-ignite my two boys' love for math. I had read so many posts from parents saying their kids loved the program, and I had envisioned my kids dancing around me, chanting "mom is great! we love math!" I don't think I am doing it right. They still don't like math, and there's no singing.

Can someone give me a detailed scenario of how they present math using Miquon to their kids? For example, this is how I do it: I sit down with my son who has a stapled booklet (all of B pages from the Orange book) in front of him. He looks over the page and starts to do the problems. If he gets stuck, I explain it to him. (They don't really like the C rods for some reason. I thought they would love anything with which they could build, but they don't pull them out unless I tell them to.) I often have to remind him to get back on task as he day dreams a lot during math.

I'm a little frustrated. I love math and I want my kids to love math. Maybe it they saw ME playing with the C rods they would play with them too?

I am going to try the games posted earlier as well. Thanks for those ideas!

I would LOVE to see a video of someone doing a Miquon lesson with their child. I searched youtube and surprisingly could not find one (surprising since you can find just about everything else there).

Once we get our stuff and we have it all figured out, I'll video tape a lesson if someone hasn't beat me to in the meantime (hopefully someone will!).

I started using Miquon about 2 months ago hoping that it would re-ignite my two boys' love for math. I had read so many posts from parents saying their kids loved the program, and I had envisioned my kids dancing around me, chanting "mom is great! we love math!" I don't think I am doing it right. They still don't like math, and there's no singing.

Can someone give me a detailed scenario of how they present math using Miquon to their kids? For example, this is how I do it: I sit down with my son who has a stapled booklet (all of B pages from the Orange book) in front of him. He looks over the page and starts to do the problems. If he gets stuck, I explain it to him. (They don't really like the C rods for some reason. I thought they would love anything with which they could build, but they don't pull them out unless I tell them to.) I often have to remind him to get back on task as he day dreams a lot during math.

I'm a little frustrated. I love math and I want my kids to love math. Maybe it they saw ME playing with the C rods they would play with them too?

I am going to try the games posted earlier as well. Thanks for those ideas!

It helps to have an element of putting together a puzzle, cracking a code, solving a mystery....kwim.

I *try* to severely limit the amount of math that I actually *explain.* The explaining gives away the answer...it's like cheating on a crossword puzzle...it's just not as much FUN in the process. (not that we have singing and dancing around me when I pull out math in this house:lol:)

There aren't any B pages in the Orange book....I'll guess you meant Red book??? One activity I've done with evens/odds is laying out even rods on one side and odd rods on the other, telling ds7 that each rod belongs to its specific pile for a certain reason...he has to figure out that reason. (He loves feeling like he can outsmart me...I use that to my advantage while I can.LOL) He noted that he could line the piles up smallest to tallest and each pile could "stair-step" by 2's.....one pile could be divided in half equally, one could not...BINGO! The rods that can be divided equally into halves are even, the ones that can't are odd.

AFTER a discovery, hands-on experience, THEN do the corrresponding lab sheets. Otherwise, it's just like any other math curric with C rods for damage control.

Regrouping...(after being solid with smaller number bonds)...I ask HIM how he can add a 6 and an 8 quickly. Gee, if we line it up next to a ten rod...I can see that if I take 2 from the 6 to make a 10 out of the 8 I have a 4 and a 10 which is easy - it's 14. I could have told him that, but it is more meaningful for HIM to build it, see it, touch it, own it with the rods. The greatest benefit is that he's learning a process of figuring things out mathematically...I talked even less covering multi-digit addition.

Multiplication...I gave him 2+2+2+2+2= for a problem and offered an easier way to write it down (he worked the problem first;)). 2 added 5 times, is 2 x 5. Then, I asked him, "do you think it works with all numbers?" The NEXT day he saw a lab sheet where he matched up + problems to equal x problems. I didn't throw the new concept plus labsheets at him in the same day.

Discovery...show what it looks like in mathematical notation...let it all marinate in the brain...practice and USE the new info.

Read and re-read the First Grade Diary. Get into the mode of observing THIS child...what does he know?...and how can I use that to teach him the next thing? Study the Lab Sheet Annotations, esp the pages at the beginning of each section. Your goal is to impart THAT INFO, and NOT for your dc to perform perfectly on the lab sheets. Why not end the math lesson when you notice the lab sheet is not going as planned...move on to another subject...later reflect back on what piece of info is MISSING that caused the wrong answers or blank stare....teach for that tomorrow. If dc seems to "get it" give him back the lab sheet to fix/finish. If not, move to a different math topic for a time.

It helps to have an element of putting together a puzzle, cracking a code, solving a mystery....kwim.

I *try* to severely limit the amount of math that I actually *explain.* The explaining gives away the answer...it's like cheating on a crossword puzzle...it's just not as much FUN in the process. (not that we have singing and dancing around me when I pull out math in this house:lol:)

There aren't any B pages in the Orange book....I'll guess you meant Red book??? One activity I've done with evens/odds is laying out even rods on one side and odd rods on the other, telling ds7 that each rod belongs to its specific pile for a certain reason...he has to figure out that reason. (He loves feeling like he can outsmart me...I use that to my advantage while I can.LOL) He noted that he could line the piles up smallest to tallest and each pile could "stair-step" by 2's.....one pile could be divided in half equally, one could Jnot...BINGO! The rods that can be divided equally into halves are even, the ones that can't are odd.

AFTER a discovery, hands-on experience, THEN do the corrresponding lab sheets. Otherwise, it's just like any other math curric with C rods for damage control.

Regrouping...(after being solid with smaller number bonds)...I ask HIM how he can add a 6 and an 8 quickly. Gee, if we line it up next to a ten rod...I can see that if I take 2 from the 6 to make a 10 out of the 8 I have a 4 and a 10 which is easy - it's 14. I could have told him that, but it is more meaningful for HIM to build it, see it, touch it, own it with the rods. The greatest benefit is that he's learning a process of figuring things out mathematically...I talked even less covering multi-digit addition.

Multiplication...I gave him 2+2+2+2+2= for a problem and offered an easier way to write it down (he worked the problem first;)). 2 added 5 times, is 2 x 5. Then, I asked him, "do you think it works with all numbers?" The NEXT day he saw a lab sheet where he matched up + problems to equal x problems. I didn't throw the new concept plus labsheets at him in the same day.

Discovery...show what it looks like in mathematical notation...let it all marinate in the brain...practice and USE the new info.

Read and re-read the First Grade Diary. Get into the mode of observing THIS child...what does he know?...and how can I use that to teach him the next thing? Study the Lab Sheet Annotations, esp the pages at the beginning of each section. Your goal is to impart THAT INFO, and NOT for your dc to perform perfectly on the lab sheets. Why not end the math lesson when you notice the lab sheet is not going as planned...move on to another subject...later reflect back on what piece of info is MISSING that caused the wrong answers or blank stare....teach for that tomorrow. If dc seems to "get it" give him back the lab sheet to fix/finish. If not, move to a different math topic for a time.

Boy, do you save me a lot of typing! :D

And you said it better than I would have. Well done Paula!

Bill

Would Miquon work with a 9yo who is still in Singapore 2B? He is very good at "mental math", but never did like manipulatives. They frustrated him to no end. He was struggling with "carrying and borrowing", or so I thought. He just didn't seem to be able to write it down on paper but could easily do the problem in his head. :glare: Anyway, I'm looking into Miquon for my ds7 and dd4 for the summer and to add to SM next year. Wondering if ds9 would also enjoy some of the explorations.

Would Miquon work with a 9yo who is still in Singapore 2B? He is very good at "mental math", but never did like manipulatives. They frustrated him to no end. He was struggling with "carrying and borrowing", or so I thought. He just didn't seem to be able to write it down on paper but could easily do the problem in his head. :glare: Anyway, I'm looking into Miquon for my ds7 and dd4 for the summer and to add to SM next year. Wondering if ds9 would also enjoy some of the explorations.

Well, I've never had a 9yo;), but I LOVE the rods for regrouping. Since you might buy it for the little ones anyway...you can always have him "prove it with the rods."

Would he be open to *leading* some math exploration with a younger sibling? (ultimately guided by you;)) If he plays a "teacher" role perhaps the rods won't be too childish. idk

Well, I've never had a 9yo;), but I LOVE the rods for regrouping. Since you might buy it for the little ones anyway...you can always have him "prove it with the rods."

Would he be open to *leading* some math exploration with a younger sibling? (ultimately guided by you;)) If he plays a "teacher" role perhaps the rods won't be too childish. idk

:iagree: Excellent idea, Paula. I've also had my olders "teach" my youngers, and it has worked very well. And to Sue, my eight (almost nine) year old uses the rods frequently alongside his Singapore. Singapore can be too abstract for his taste sometimes, so he uses the rods to help him see it. When he gets stuck/frustrated, some time with Miquon is usually what helps the light bulb go on.

There aren't any B pages in the Orange book....I'll guess you meant Red book??? One activity I've done with evens/odds is laying out even rods on one side and odd rods on the other, telling ds7 that each rod belongs to its specific pile for a certain reason...he has to figure out that reason. (He loves feeling like he can outsmart me...I use that to my advantage while I can.LOL) He noted that he could line the piles up smallest to tallest and each pile could "stair-step" by 2's.....one pile could be divided in half equally, one could not...BINGO! The rods that can be divided equally into halves are even, the ones that can't are odd.

WOW! Awesome post!

Excellent idea! Paula - you rock!:D

Hi...I ordered Miquon to introduce/supplement Singapore, but I can't find money, time, units of measure, anything like that in either curriculum?

How has anyone handled this? I read a blog of someone who supplemented with Saxon for those areas, but the thought of combining three sets of math is very intimidating!!

I don't have first-hand experience with Singapore, so maybe someone else can respond to that ... but for measurement, the makers of Miquon also have very good and affordable series for math in different areas, including English and metric measurement, called "Key To...".

Regarding money and time ... those aren't really math subjects, so it wouldn't disturb me not to have them covered by a curriculum. They're just skills that involve the ability to add and subtract, and can be taught in a day when a child needs to know them. People have managed for centuries to count coins and read clocks without any math education whatsoever.

YM, as always, MV.

Hi...I ordered Miquon to introduce/supplement Singapore, but I can't find money, time, units of measure, anything like that in either curriculum?

How has anyone handled this? I read a blog of someone who supplemented with Saxon for those areas, but the thought of combining three sets of math is very intimidating!!

Miquon does not have those topics. Well, it has a little bit of money in the fractions section. Maybe there are some others here and there--we're fairly new to Miquon so I may have missed them. Singapore does cover all of those topics. What edition/level did you buy? I have the Standards Edition. So far, here's where I have seen these topics (I have books up to 3B):

Time: 1B, 2B, 3B

Money: 1B, 2B, 3B

Length, Volume, Weight, etc: 1A, 2A, 2B, 3B

ETA: The SM Earlybird books also cover some non-standard units of measurement (e.g. using linking cubes to measure the length of your book).

Edited by bonniebeth4

Time & money & measurements are not Miquon's strong points;), though I take the philosophy and run with it. I like the RightStart games for time and money.

I taught money like this:

"Who wants to play WIN MOMMIE'S MONEY?" everyone wanted to play:lol:

I held up a coin and if they could tell me it's name (quarter, nickle, dime, penny) they won that coin. Then, (another day) they had to tell me the name of the coin and how much it's worth. We did this one quite a few times. Then, I put a few coins on the table and if they could add it up correctly, they won it all. From there, we can play "store."

I teach time by asking ds7 to tell me when it's 10:30 so we can have our snack, 3:00 so we can play outside, etc... I pull our clock off the wall, and we look at the second hand and count how many times it ticks from the 1 to the 2....from the 2 to the 3....then we practice counting by 5's all around the clock. (I have a cheapo clock LOL.)

Measurements. I LOVE how Miquon goes from measuring length and width in cm to counting how many rods can fit inside the box! It was a seemless path from fun with the ruler to calculating area. (Why couldn't I have learned area and volume with the C rods when I was a kid!?!:glare:) It does seem to lack repitition, for sure. ds7 is loving the Sir Cumference series...storybooks that teach geometry concepts.

I don't feel the need for supplementing these topics with worksheets, but if I did I would look into Math Mammoth. You can buy just the topic/level you need and not feel pressure to use 3 WHOLE currics. RS games are moe fun though...