Menu

Please talk to me about miquon math

Miquon is a process math, that is, one that is based on manipulatives, as opposed to a traditional math such as R&S's or BJUP's math series or any other (they may use visuals or manipulatives, but they are not based on manipulatives, if you see the difference). Using the Teacher's Lab Notations and Cuisenaire rods, you sit with your dc and help him discover things, then you give him his seatwork so he can practice what he has learned.

All I can tell you is that I didn't get it. I bought several level of books and rods - so excited to get started. However, I just couldn't grasp what to do. I sold everything and bought MUS. :)

I know lots of people who LOVE it and it works for them. Hope they post and give you some feedback.

Miquon is an absolutely brilliant math program that teaches the laws of mathematics in a joyous way that is easily comprehended (by children). It uses Cusinaire Rods and other manipulative to make math concepts clear.

It capitalizes on the idea that children enjoy play, and guided discovery, and assumes children can reason when given appropriate tools.

For a parent/teacher it takes an open mind and a little study of the teaching materials to implement the program. But those teachers materials are an absolute treasure.

If you want to give a child an extremely interesting, deep, and fun introduction to "conceptual math" Miquon is a fantastic choice. It may lead to other things, because the passion it inspires for math can be profound.

There will always be some who are not willing to invest themselves in the learning and reading necessary to teach this program, or take the time to be a watchful partner to a child starting out. But if you really want to start a child thinking about math from the inside out, and you want that experience to be grounded in age-appropriate means, and if you are open enough to try something new and different, then is something to really consider.

This is a very special, and very profound way to introduce mathematical concepts to children. I truly believe that my son's exposure to Miquon and Miquon inspired activities in his pre- k years (and ongoing) made the way he thinks about mathematics very different than my own (although I'm growing too, really) or most children his age. There is a native language understanding of the grammar of math that we will continue to build on, but on a foundation that is rock solid.

But there will always be people who don't get it.

Bill

Would miquon work well with singapore? We do that as well.

It is the perfect compliment to Singapore. Perfect!

The way C Rods are used in Miquon is just a physical ("concrete") embodiment of the Singapore Model Method. Miquon fills gaps in the Singapore program. One is the use of the perfectly analogous C Rods. Another is giving a parent/teacher a lot more to bring to the table mathematically. There are powerful ideas in the teaching texts (far deeper conceptually than the HIGs in Singapore SE. Those teachers materials also inspire a confidence to teach, and frames a math-lab mentality that ( assuming one buys into it) is very liberating and exciting. I felt unleashed though my exposure to these materials. I can not over-state the value Miquon has had for me.

Then lastly, there is a kind of mental challenge with Miquon that is different than the regular Singapore materials. The gift of thinking is on the child, but they also have means (that they understand) to help them problem-solve. And that's a profound combination, because it is at one-and-the-same-time both easier, and more challenging.

A joy comes out of this combo. The children do it themselves. Not "themselves" as in "here kid, here's a workbook, scram!" Rather a parent creates activities where children make guided discoveries, and where concepts can be directly demonstrated to the child.

Where Singapore is very strong in mental math strategies and word problems, Miquon does not compare. But Miquon is strongest where Singapore is weakest, and vice versa. You put the two together, and there is synergy. Add MEP on top of that and you better stand back, because amazing things will happen.

Bil

Edited by Spy Car

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much Bill! I am going to do it when little man is in 1st!(Never too early to start looking for good deals though!:D) I wish I would have know about these sooner:glare: and I would have started my rising 3rd grader in them.

My advice is don't wait until First Grade, unless it is already too late.

There is a misconception that Miquon is First Grade math by today's standards, because it was in 1964. Not to say it couldn't be First Grade math even today, but there is nothing else that I'm aware of that can be so fruitfully used with young children as Miquon. It is, to my mind a vastly superior introduction to Singapore math than the Earlybird series for pre- k and k, especially if one keeps it all play and activity based.

Bill (can you tell how much I love Miquon?)

Bill can you tell me how you progressed through the Miquon books? Did you do them book by book or section by section? We did most of the orange book in first grade and then in second I did Miquon and Singapore. I found a chart online that showed which Miquon sections corresponded to the Singapore chapters.

Just curious how you progressed through the books.

:iagree:with Spycar on all Miquon threads.:D

:iagree:Miquon and Singapore! They are like peas and carrots; they compliment each other perfectly.

:iagree:Start now, if you can. Atleast purchase the materials let the C rods be material for play (at the table only so they don't get lost) while you read the 3 teacher's books. Play with the rods is an important step. imho.

Also, you are encouraged to make your own lab sheets....and have ds make his own. 1cm graph paper is good to keep around for making rod pictures and coloring them in.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much Bill! I am going to do it when little man is in 1st!(Never too early to start looking for good deals though!:D) I wish I would have know about these sooner:glare: and I would have started my rising 3rd grader in them.

I bought all of the books for my ds(4) to start using. He did several pages, then started to get lost when we were working on it. So I decided to shelve it for a few months. BUT, this week, I was working with dd on Singapore 3A (we just started long division). She started telling me that she hates math and I got really frustrated. And then I remembered I have all these Miquon books sitting on the shelf! As I looked through the Lab Annotations, it looked like they approach division differently--more of an extension of fractions. The next day I set her to working fractions in the blue book. She spent half the morning happily coloring in the Miquon book. :001_smile: I think we'll spend the summer playing Miquon, and just come back to Singapore periodically.

(I guess I'm trying to say, it's not too late for your 3rd grader.)

Can you elaborate on what a newbie to Miquon needs to get started? What is the best vendor to purchase from? I am going to look into it again right now . . .

Can Miquon be used to supplement or as a "math unit study" in summer time?

We are slogging through Right Start and also using Math Mammoth (love this). I have observed that my children thrive with these hands on methods (as much as I dislike teaching RS it is all me who wishes math could be learned by simply throwing a workbook at my kids! :D).

It sounds like my kiddos would like and learn from Miquon. Does it dovetail with RS/MM ? We seem to be morphing into a family who likes to tackle math from a variety of angles . . . my youngest big kid wants to do math as well and it sound like Miquon is the ticket here. I do have two buckets of C rods and have never been "quite sure" what to do with them. :glare:

I'm "off" to read more . . .

Guest Cindie2dds

I agree with Bill (big surprise) that you can easily start in K or PreK, we did. I would highly recommend getting the First Grade Diary and Notes to Teacher as they contain the activities the teacher did before the lesson and what she did with the lab sheet to enhance it that day. If you are a control freak, beware. Miquon's beauty is letting the kids explore and figure it out on their own; like an iPad. ;) Seriously, I let her do whatever she wants to with the c rods then I put a lab sheet in front of her, give her time to explore it, then she is suppose to ask if she needs guidance. I don't "teach" her.

Watch how quickly they figure out which colors represent which number. I just ask her because I have no clue. Their minds are amazing.

Pros: Mental math, not much writing involved so young kids can really learn and understand without the frustration of writing. They figure it out on their own.

We move between books. We've done a lot of Orange and it's on the shelf, same with Red. I'm working with MEP for a little, then we'll go back to Orange for multiplication. It's not an order series, although you could do that. The Lab Annotations tells you what concepts are taught when in which book, so we float.

Hope this helps!

I *think* this was the link, http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm but unfortunately I can't get it to work anymore. I thought I had downloaded the chart to my computer but I cannot find it. I think that I tossed out my own chart as I was getting ready to sell my Miquon - of course now all this talk has made me rethink that idea :glare: THANKS alot guys!!!!!! :lol:

If someone will bump this thread, I will return to tomorrow. There are many questions to answer, but I'm momentarily swamped.

I will return :D

Bill

Thought the right way to say it was, "I'll be back" :lol:

So you think he would be fine to start now? He is 5. We are just starting K because he is just now ready, we will go through next year also. Now that I waited to start K he is literally like a sponge though. He is retaining EVERYTHING. So for us waiting was the best decision! So you think he could start miquon now? I have a set of c-rods- are they all the same? Or does Miquon have special ones? I got a huge set from a garage sale.

Standard C-rods (non-linking) are best. Just have your dc play with them at first. Build houses, build trains, put them in order, etc. Do this for a week or so, then you could slowly start with your five-year-old. At this age it should be mostly a game.

Of course, I know you didn't ask *me* anything, but I happen to own the Orange book (adding Blue and Red next year) and using it with my six-year-old :tongue_smilie: HTH!

So you think he would be fine to start now? He is 5. We are just starting K because he is just now ready, we will go through next year also. Now that I waited to start K he is literally like a sponge though. He is retaining EVERYTHING. So for us waiting was the best decision! So you think he could start miquon now? I have a set of c-rods- are they all the same? Or does Miquon have special ones? I got a huge set from a garage sale.

I vote for starting now, but it doesn't necessarily mean plowing through the Orange book now.

Let him just play with the rods for a while. Begin by noting that 2 reds=1purple...and then see what other number bonds he can find. Have him color his number bonds on 1cm graph paper.

Play some informal games with the rods....put a handful of rods in 2 brown paper bags...pull out 1 rod at the same time...the one with the "greatest" wins. At the end of the game, line up the rods won into long trains and see who has the longest.

Read the teacher's materials, and you'll probably find plenty to do with both your 5yo and your rising 3rd grader.:001_smile:

It is the perfect compliment to Singapore. Perfect!

The way C Rods are used in Miquon is just a physical ("concrete") embodiment of the Singapore Model Method. Miquon fills gaps in the Singapore program. One is the use of the perfectly analogous C Rods. Another is giving a parent/teacher a lot more to bring to the table mathematically. There are powerful ideas in the teaching texts (far deeper conceptually than the HIGs in Singapore SE). Those teachers materials also inspire a confidence to teach, and frames a math-lab mentality that ( assuming one buys into it) is very liberating and exciting. I felt unleashed though my exposure to these materials. I can not over state the value Miquon has had for me.

Then lastly, there is a kind of mental challenge with Miquon that is different than the regular Singapore materials. The gift of thinking is on the child, but they also have means they understand to help them problem solve. And that's a profound combination, because it is at one-and-the-same-time both easier and more challenging.

A joy comes out of this combo. The children do it themselves. Not "themselves" as in here kid, here's a workbook, scram! Rather a parent creates activities where children make guided discoveries, and where concepts can be directly demonstrated to the child.

Where Singapore is very strong in mental math strategies and word problems, Miquon does not compare. But Miquon is strongest where Singapore is weakest, and vice versa. You put the two together, and there is synergy. Add MEP on top of that and you better stand back, because amazing things will happen.

Bil

:iagree: Bill, as usual, our two hearts beat as one ;) here in "math world".

To the OP, I have used the MEP/Miquon/Singapore combo through Primary 1/Year 1 and Primary2/Year 2 so far. We have used a mix of Miquon with both of those years--it is great for helping visualize and work through a concept (one of my sons needs to see it to believe it), and fabulous for a child who wants to explore with math ( this is another one of my sons).

Son number three is excited about starting his work with Miquon next year (along with MEP reception). I don't think 4 or five years old is too early, and I don't think 8 or 9 is too late. My 8 year old is still working through Miquon--it is what he goes to when he hits a wall with MEP or Singapore, which are sometimes to "abstract" for his taste. I wouldn't skip the lower levels with an older child, just work though them at a faster pace.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Would miquon work well with singapore? We do that as well.

I agree with the previous posters who said that Singapore and Miquon complement each other well. With my eldest, I started her out on Earlybird, then began adding in the Miquon assignments when she began 1A in Singapore. I did the same with my second born. I've just begun Earlybird with my third and I may start Miquon earlier this time. I'm not sure yet...

My two oldest kids loved/love Miquon though :001_smile:.

I use Singapore as a spine and then I usually add in Miquon either to reinforce what they are currently learning or to introduce a topic Singapore doesn't cover. The chart that was linked by a previous poster was helpful to me as I was scheduling. There were also times I was much looser about things and I would just let my dd pick out a few Miquon pages to do at random. She enjoyed that :001_smile:. I've been a bit more structured this go-around with ds6.

This was a rambling way of saying - Try the Miquon! It's a lot of fun :001_smile:.

Standard C-rods (non-linking) are best. Just have your dc play with them at first. Build houses, build trains, put them in order, etc. Do this for a week or so, then you could slowly start with your five-year-old. At this age it should be mostly a game.

Of course, I know you didn't ask *me* anything, but I happen to own the Orange book (adding Blue and Red next year) and using it with my six-year-old :tongue_smilie: HTH!

I like answers from anybody and everybody who knows more than me, and this time I am clueless :D Thank you so much!!!!

Can you elaborate on what a newbie to Miquon needs to get started? What Yis the best vendor to purchase from? I am going to look into it again right now . . .

You already have C rods. I also like having a set of ten base-10 "flats" ton serve as hundred values, with Orange rods being tens, and the other rods being Units. This is not in Miquon per se, but I felt it was important to begin with a concrete exposure to place value early on, so I did sort of a hybrid of Miquon with the kind of place value work in Right Start, but with blocks and rods instead of the abacus (although we also used the abacus) and the RS place value cards and base-10 cards.

I digress :D

There are 3 Miquon teachers books, Notes to Teachers, First Grade Diary, and Lab Annotations. You should get all 3, and begin reading them. Hard copies.

Then there are the 6 student books. Orange is the first book. It can be nice to have additional student book at hand, because there is a coding scheme that allows one to continue on one topic in a later book (if desired) rather than necessarily progressing through a particular book from start to finish.

There is an intended freedom in Miquon in the sequence. The non-linearity might (I imagine) drive some people (who want to be told to do a,b,c, and d in that order) a little batty. I love it.

You may want a geoboard, as there are some fun ides for these, but that's about it.

For vendors, I know Rainbow and CDB sell Miquon materials. And others may.

Part Two coming up.

Bill

Bill,

Forgive me for going a bit off-topic here, but having read so many of your posts, and realizing your math experience with your kids is so very, very similar to my dh's and my experience with ours... I need to ask if you are aware of the Mitsumasa Anno math books. If you aren't, forgive my presumption, but you need to get them. Math Games, Math Games II, Math Games III, Anno's Hat Tricks, Multiplying Jar. The Three Pigs for a few years down the road. You may have to search; they're OOP.

You clearly understand the need for conceptual building blocks and acquiring a deep understanding of the structure of math. This is what the Anno books are for. Most of them involve no numbers at all, but introduce concepts ranging from place value to factorials to functions to combinatorics. Snuggle down with the child, discuss one page at a time until you reach a page that doesn't quite "click," then go on to the next game. Eventually they'll be able to go all the way through all the games. And when they first encounter in their math text, for instance, f(x) = x^2 +1, they'll say "oh it's just like the Anno two-way machine game!"

Forgive the long and presumptuous aside. But I haven't seen you mention Anno, and it horrified me to think you might be unaware of these books.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Can Miquon be used to supplement or as a "math unit study" in summer time?

Sure, why not? You can jump in and out of Miquon. It is really great for giving "exposure" and for introducing a concept or helping overcome lack of clarity. So yes it would be a great summer math/supplement.

We are slogging through Right Start and also using Math Mammoth (love this). I have observed that my children thrive with these hands on methods (as much as I dislike teaching RS it is all me who wishes math could be learned by simply throwing a workbook at my kids! :D).

Where Miquon is a little different than RS (as best as I get the feel for it from the AL Abacus book) is there is potentially much less "talking" or direct instruction needed from the parent/teacher with Miquon. You're more setting up scenarios and letting the kids figure it out. You may be a partner, but often you can be a silent partner.

I haven't used MM, but again the whole/parts method they have taken from Singapore is the same one in Miquon.

It sounds like my kiddos would like and learn from Miquon. Does it dovetail with RS/MM ? We seem to be morphing into a family who likes to tackle math from a variety of angles . . . my youngest big kid wants to do math as well and it sound like Miquon is the ticket here. I do have two buckets of C rods and have never been "quite sure" what to do with them. :glare:

I'm "off" to read more . . .

It does sound like your kids (and you) will love it. It is all about hitting math from a variety of angles. It does dovetail nicely with what you'll find in MM, RS, MEP, or Singapore.

And the teachers materials are really great. Each time we start a new topic, I go back to the materials and re-discover just how brilliant they are.

I'm afraid that because it is easy (after a point) to understand how the student lab books work, so parents stop reading the Lab Annotations just when they shouldn't. Don't you do that :D

Form what you are saying I think Miquon is something you will really like.

Bill

Bill,

Forgive me for going a bit off-topic here, but having read so many of your posts, and realizing your math experience with your kids is so very, very similar to my dh's and my experience with ours... I need to ask if you are aware of the Mitsumasa Anno math books. If you aren't, forgive my presumption, but you need to get them. Math Games, Math Games II, Math Games III, Anno's Hat Tricks, Multiplying Jar. The Three Pigs for a few years down the road. You may have to search; they're OOP.

But you clearly understand the need for conceptual building blocks and acquiring a deep understanding of the structure of math. This is what the Anno books are for. Most of them involve no numbers at all, but introduce conceptually areas ranging from place value to factorials to functions to combinatorics. Snuggle down with the child, discuss one page at a time until you reach a page that doesn't quite "click," then go on to the next game. Eventually they'll be able to go all the way through all the games. And when they first encounter, for instance, f(x) = x^2 +1, they'll say "oh it's just like the Anno game!"

Forgive the long and presumptuous aside. But I haven't seen you mention Anno, and it horrified me to think you might be unaware of these books.

Funny you mention those because a friend from school just recommended these to me last week. I have not seen these yet, but I will redouble my search. Thank you for mention these.

I will make it my duty to find them.

Bill

Bill can you tell me how you progressed through the Miquon books? Did you do them book by book or section by section? We did most of the orange book in first grade and then in second I did Miquon and Singapore. I found a chart online that showed which Miquon sections corresponded to the Singapore chapters.

Just curious how you progressed through the books.

We really move in and out with Miquon. Ours is a very eclectic math program, and draws on a number of sources. But everything we do is informed by the Miquon experience, even if were are working in Singapore math or MEP. I try to treat it all as part of the math-lab.

Fairly recently we began multiplication in Singapore, but I made sure to read the section in the Lab Annotations on Multiplication, and so (in a very easy to understand way) we've "proved" the Distributive Law. So Miquon added an element that was both "easy" and "deep".

And we did the run-up to multiplication lab-sheets in the student books.

Then we may drop it for a while. That doesn't mean anyone else would have to use the materials in the manner we do. It is hard to get across the flexibility of Miquon to someone that has not used it, but the Miquon-users will know exactly what I'm saying.

One could use it as a main program, or as a supplement, or as a resource. And all would be valid.

Miquon is very well organized by topic. I would personally not worry about some "magic" chart or schedule to line it up with Singapore. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like too much planning ahead, and prefer to improvise. And that the temperature of what my son will enjoy, and not be afraid of little diversions.

Today, he caught be looking at the samples of Russian Math 6 (on the iPad) and I told him this was some math we would do one day, maybe in 5 grade. Well he said he wanted to do it now. So we broke out a compass and made circles and learned what a radius is, and diameters, and that d = 2r. And it was fun. And we even used C Rods to show that if a circle has a radius of 4 (purple) then 2r = 8 (brown).

It's just "exposure", no "mastery" intended in kindergarten. But children can "get it" if one presents things in ways they understand. And Miquon helped me see that.

What all this has to do how I "progress" though the materials is for you to figure out :D

I have no idea :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I vote for starting now, but it doesn't necessarily mean plowing through the Orange book now.

Let him just play with the rods for a while. Begin by noting that 2 reds=1purple...and then see what other number bonds he can find. Have him color his number bonds on 1cm graph paper.

Play some informal games with the rods....put a handful of rods in 2 brown paper bags...pull out 1 rod at the same time...the one with the "greatest" wins. At the end of the game, line up the rods won into long trains and see who has the longest.

Read the teacher's materials, and you'll probably find plenty to do with both your 5yo and your rising 3rd grader.:001_smile:

:iagree:

BTW fun game idea Paula.

Ditto to not "plowing through the workbooks." Far better to have fun activities of the sort Paula mentions.

Something I've mentioned before was making up greater than/less than games with the rods. Putting two down in front of my son, and he'd read them left to right.

So 8 is greater than 6.

And if I reversed the order, 6 is less than 8.

Then I added a hand drawn inequalities sign (>) on an index card that he could flip the correct way, depending on how I laid two rods

8 > 6

6 < 8

After this was clear, we moved to "how much greater'?

8 is two greater than 6

6 is two less than 8.

Very simple stuff. But if you do little games like this their little minds just drink it up. Playful learning.

Bill

I'm thinking of doing miquon with DD next year (K'er). We are possibly planning on moving abroad for a couple years in late winter or early spring and I had been thinking about getting the pdf (digital) copies of the miquon books to help save on packing space. I noticed that Bill said "hard copies" when recommending what to buy. What are your reasons? How hard is it to use the digital versions? I will have access to a desktop computer, a netbook, and a kindle (I haven't tried viewing pdfs on a kindle, but I've heard you can), and a printer.

I'm thinking of doing miquon with DD next year (K'er). We are possibly planning on moving abroad for a couple years in late winter or early spring and I had been thinking about getting the pdf (digital) copies of the miquon books to help save on packing space. I noticed that Bill said "hard copies" when recommending what to buy. What are your reasons? How hard is it to use the digital versions? I will have access to a desktop computer, a netbook, and a kindle (I haven't tried viewing pdfs on a kindle, but I've heard you can), and a printer.

The student lab-books are available as downloads, and these (especially if one had a number of children coming down the pike) could make a lot of sense. The Miquon pages are really simple and would lose little or no value printed out at home.

It is the teachers copies where I would not go digital. They are too valuable (and dense) a recourse not to have on hand. And what would printing the Lab Annotations cost? A lot. And it would be huge, and cumbersome.

Maybe if one is really into ones e-reader, maybe. I'm thinking I'd much rather read the books than read these on my iPad, maybe that view will change. But on a regular computer or laptop? I wouldn't read them with the same the way I do now if that was my only means (certainly pre-iPad).

But I see that a Kindle user (say a person who would rather read the Well Trained Mind on a Kindle rather than a book) might be an exception to the "hard copy" rule.

Bottom line, these are works to be read and assimilated by the parent/teacher, sitting on a shelf, on a computer, or e-reader unread serves no purpose. So, whatever works! :D

Bill

:D Thanks for all of the helps Spy Car (Bill). Rainbow Resource has all of the teacher helps you recommended and they're inexpensive! I'm nervous . . . but I'm also excited to put these C rods to use. I've had them for years and every now and then I pull them out and go "huh" :glare:? Why did I buy these and what do I do with them? Now I know! Time for some summertime math exploration a la Miquon . . .

Thanks again!! :001_smile:

I will have access to a desktop computer, a netbook, and a kindle (I haven't tried viewing pdfs on a kindle, but I've heard you can), and a printer.

I just put my first PDF on a Kindle. The problem with it is that you can only view it so that a full page is on the screen. No magnification (at least I couldn't find a way to zoom in). It was ok with the book that I was reading, but the Lab sheet Annotations have the student pages in miniature. Those would be impossible to read if they were scrunched up onto a Kindle screen. Actually, I don't think I could view the pictures on my pdf at all. So that would be a big disadvantage. At the very least I think you'd want a hard copy of the lab sheet annotations. The Notes to Teachers are very short. I think a soft copy of that would be acceptable. I haven't actually read through my First Grade Diary yet (:leaving:), but flipping through it, I think it'd be more useful as a resource that you could easily flip through, than as a PDF.

:D Thanks for all of the helps Spy Car (Bill). Rainbow Resource has all of the teacher helps you recommended and they're inexpensive! I'm nervous . . . but I'm also excited to put these C rods to use. I've had them for years and every now and then I pull them out and go "huh" :glare:? Why did I buy these and what do I do with them? Now I know! Time for some summertime math exploration a la Miquon . . .

Thanks again!! :001_smile:

Best wishes for a rewarding summer!

Bill

But you clearly understand the need for conceptual building blocks and acquiring a deep understanding of the structure of math. This is what the Anno books are for. Most of them involve no numbers at all, but introduce conceptually areas ranging from place value to factorials to functions to combinatorics. Snuggle down with the child, discuss one page at a time until you reach a page that doesn't quite "click," then go on to the next game. Eventually they'll be able to go all the way through all the games. And when they first encounter, for instance, f(x) = x^2 +1, they'll say "oh it's just like the Anno game!"

Funny you mention those because a friend from school just recommended these to me last week. I have not seen these yet, but I will redouble my search. Thank you for mention these.

I will make it my duty to find them.

Bill

I just want to second the Anno books (although I almost hesitate to do so because I don't have all of them and they are a bit difficult to find.:blush: ). We have Math Games II and III and they are wonderful. My 5 year olds love them. However, my MIL was not a fan when the kids tried to get her to "read" them to them.

I just want to second the Anno books (although I almost hesitate to do so because I don't have all of them and they are a bit difficult to find.:blush: ).
I'll third them, though I'd hesitate to call them essential.

Today, he caught be looking at the samples of Russian Math 6 (on the iPad) and I told him this was some math we would do one day, maybe in 5 grade. Well he said he wanted to do it now. So we broke out a compass and made circles and learned what a radius is, and diameters, and that d = 2r. And it was fun. And we even used C Rods to show that if a circle has a radius of 4 (purple) then 2r = 8 (brown).
You are going to love Patty Paper Geometry. I picked this up last week on a recommendation of Sue in St Pete, and we started it the day after it arrived. [Don't buy the Johnson-Rose patty paper, as it has two holes punched in one side.]

I just want to second the Anno books (although I almost hesitate to do so because I don't have all of them and they are a bit difficult to find.:blush: ). We have Math Games II and III and they are wonderful. My 5 year olds love them. However, my MIL was not a fan when the kids tried to get her to "read" them to them.

I'll third them, though I'd hesitate to call them essential.

Thpank you both, I have 7 Anno books on order from the library, and they have more. Any favorites?

Bill

Thpank you both, I have 7 Anno books on order from the library, and they have more. Any favorites?
We're huge fans of Anno's USA, Anno's Italy, Anno's Britain, etc. If you can find Anno's Flea Market, it's a treat too. For math, also look for Anno's Multiplying Jar.

But I got no replies so maybe someone can snswer my questions here.

Is it imperative that I use it with another program like singapore or Math mammoth?

In reading the teacher materials Do i need to read them seperatly or use them as a sort of reference to eachother.

It might just be my anxeity but i feel like i'm missing something.

Is orange book the place to start with a rising first grader?

If I use singapore or math mammoth which do I start with and how do I use them togeather?

Sorry to the OP for the hijack!:001_smile:

But I got no replies so maybe someone can snswer my questions here.

Is it imperative that I use it with another program like singapore or Math mammoth?

That entirely depends upon you and your dc. Some need more "drill" and others need more word problems. Time and $ are not Miquon's strong points.

In reading the teacher materials Do i need to read them seperatly or use them as a sort of reference to eachother.

Read the Teacher's Notes first, then the First Grade Diary with the Lab Sheet Annotations close by. Get to know these well before diving in with lab sheets. Let your dc play with the rods while you are reading. Play is an important step!

It might just be my anxeity but i feel like i'm missing something.

Miquon takes a different approach. It's much more like a "lab" where I ask leading questions and we use the rods to discover something new about numbers...it's much less like a traditional math program where I tell dc that 2+2=4 and ask him to repeat that until it's memorized. Read the Teachers materials thoroughly, and the anxiety will pass as you test out a few lessons.

Is orange book the place to start with a rising first grader?

I recommend having the Orange and Red books on hand for a 1st grader. Read the TM's before starting....the Teacher's Notes has an interesting discussion on the progression of the dc's play before starting the lab sheets.

If I use singapore or math mammoth which do I start with and how do I use them togeather?

I would introduce a concept with Miquon and then review it with Singapore or MM. If you do it that way, just use the concept chart in the Miquon books and follow the Singapore or MM lessons. FWIW - the 1st grade number bonds in Singapore & Miquon go perfectly together!

Sorry to the OP for the hijack!:001_smile:

hth

His math books are:

Anno's Counting Book [counting]

Anno's Counting House [counting; addition/subtraction]

Anno's Three Little Pigs [also Socrates and the Three Pigs] [combinatorics]

Anno's Hat Tricks [intro logic; my dh uses this for his honors logic course!]

Anno's Magic Seeds [geometric sequences]

Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar [also Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jug] [factorials]

Anno's Math Games

Anno's Math Games II

Anno's Math Games III

[incl. Cartesian coordinates, left/right, proportions, measurement, place value, maze theory, functions, & many more; if I were at home I could be more specific for each book]

The two counting books are far and away the best introduction to numeracy I have ever seen; my pre-verbal dd would hitch herself over to me several times a day and fling Anno's Counting Book on my lap for yet another "read" (there are no words in it). Counting House is wordless and numberless, and just in beautiful pictures with the kind of interesting detail little ones love, shows how every time a child leaves one house for the house on the opposite page, you count one less in the first house and one more in the second.

The Three Pigs is at the other end of the math spectrum, and I admit to having been quite lost by the end. But the beginning is accessible even to elementary age children. My teenager loved it. Socrates is a wolf whose hungry wolf-wife, Xanthippe, wants to eat the three pigs who live in the five houses nearby. But Socrates needs to think about where those pigs will be sleeping, and how many possibilities there will be, and it turns out a lot depends on his starting assumptions....

I have no favorites. Get them all. And my dds say they are so essential. :D