Menu

WWE and FLL: Aren't there overlap in the two?

I checked these out of the library and there seem to be a lot of overlap. They both have narration, copywork, and dictation. I think it would be overkill for my 1st grader. How do you use them? Can I just use WWE 1 and then add R and S English 2 later? I am used to R&S English format and the FLL has a lot of words on each page to swim through.

Do you just use WWE and R&S 2 later? I would like some advice.

J

Edited by aomom
add more info

I have used the last few days to read my WWE book that just came. I agree, I don't want to overdo it either so I think I am going to try to tie in my lessons of WWE into SOTW1 since it has narration in it and a lot of things to use as copy work. We are still going to do FLL but I use the page and then tie the lesson into what else we are doing ie: proper nouns/special names...we talked about Tarek in SOTW being a proper noun, look how it starts with a capital letter, etc.

While there is some overlap I think the two programs complement each other well. Also, the writing in First Language Lessons is generally listed under the enrichment exercise for each lesson (as far as I know - we're still working through the first grade level), making it easy to skip. Both programs are so simple and don't take up much time in the school day.

You might want to wait on FLL, Peace Hill Press is splitting FLL 1/2 into two books. I think many moms already skip the writing exercises in FLL and use the ones from WWE.

We've started FLL without WWE, so I am using the copywork, but won't once we fold in WWE.

why do you suggest this? is there less overlap w/ the new edition of FLL? i got the old one for a great price last year, so i'm not very tempted to buy the new one. i actually came here today with the same question about overlap between FLL and WWE. i think i may just use FLL by itself.

They DO overlap in the skills of copywork, dictation & narration, but they also each have their own purpose as well. There is much more exposure to great works of literature in WWE, and of course the proper grammar part of FLL. IMO, you would be missing out on one, or the other, if you chose one over the other.

That said, I do teach them together, usually WWE first since that's the bulk of the writing. Then, if there is a writing exercise to do in FLL I can either cut it a bit short, or incorporate a grammar game or illustration of a poem, etc.

SWB talks about this in this youtube video:

I had the same concerns about the overlap and this really helped to clarify:)

Thank you! I couldn't remember where she'd talked about the new FLL 1 & FLL 2 were going to help with some of the redundancy. I can't wait to get these :)

I checked these out of the library and there seem to be a lot of overlap. They both have narration, copywork, and dictation. I think it would be overkill for my 1st grader. How do you use them? Can I just use WWE 1 and then add R and S English 2 later? I am used to R&S English format and the FLL has a lot of words on each page to swim through.

Do you just use WWE and R&S 2 later? I would like some advice.

J

If I had to choose between the two programs, I would use FLL and wait on WWE.

Ugh is anyone else irritated that the release date is late September??? Very inconvenient! I have the original but am interested in the new version...

I wanted to start on 1 June so I am bummed that it won't be out until late September. Oh well...still worth the wait for me.

I have done FLL1 with my first grader this year. We didn't do WWE1 (mostly because I was slow to become aware of it...I'm a newbie here). :tongue_smilie:

I am using both FLL and WWE for my third grader and see the benefit in using both at this level. (He is in FLL3 and WWE2.) I don't fear that my first grader has missed anything crucial, and we will start FLL2 and WWE2 next year as part of his second grade work. He is very, very bright and narrates naturally, as well as having had the benefit of overhearing a fair amount of his older brother's lessons this year in WWE2.

That is not so much a recommendation as much as it is our own experience.:001_smile: No regrets in doing it this way for his first grade year, though.

I don't want to wait for the new FLL to come out. In fact, I don't need to start FLL right now. I just think because there is overlap more or less, I just reduce some of the same things that are in FLL and don't mind that it is the old version. I do this to save money and time because the old FLL has only 100 lessons for first grade. I am not sure this is true for the new version. I don't really mind the pencil pictures. I may pick and choose and not do all of the picture study anyway.

J

I probably won't wait either. I know it's easy to leave stuff out, it just makes me feel like we are missing things somehow. It would be nice to have them coordinate. However, considering DD1 won't be ready for the copywork involved in WWE1 at the start of the year, it doesn't really matter, now that I think about it. I don't see how they could both line up from the start of the year. IIRC, FLL1 doesn't start copywork until halfway through the year?