Menu

Okay, so I am past the baby years...

but nevertheless I was surprised to find a "Complete Core Curriculum for Babies, ages 0-3" in one homeschool catalog I perused in search of something fun for my young nephews.

Since when do babies need a curriculum? :001_huh:

Doesn't WTM recommend a book that tells what to do from birth - age 5?

I use a math curriculum for my 2 yo b/c even though I love math, teaching it does not come easily. Reading? Yes. I think that is why mine read so early. But we are working on colors, order of #s, counting, etc. in the curriculum b/c left to myself, my kids would be reading on a 3rd grade level and still not know their colors! I am a math dunce when it comes to teaching so a curriculum that can walk me through games to learn mathy things - I'm all for it!

Doesn't WTM recommend a book that tells what to do from birth - age 5?

I use a math curriculum for my 2 yo b/c even though I love math, teaching it does not come easily. Reading? Yes. I think that is why mine read so early. But we are working on colors, order of #s, counting, etc. in the curriculum b/c left to myself, my kids would be reading on a 3rd grade level and still not know their colors! I am a math dunce when it comes to teaching so a curriculum that can walk me through games to learn mathy things - I'm all for it!

I suppose it's a series of suggestions for games and reading books? I am not aware of a WTM curriculum for this age group.

I almost find it a little sad that kids under 5 now need to work on a curriculum instead of taking walks and looking for bugs in puddles and playing with push toys / dolls / legos etc.

I just never thought I needed a curriculum to teach anything from birth to Kindergarten age.

I suppose it's a series of suggestions for games and reading books? I am not aware of a WTM curriculum for this age group.

I almost find it a little sad that kids under 5 now need to work on a curriculum instead of taking walks and looking for bugs in puddles and playing with push toys / dolls / legos etc.

I just never thought I needed a curriculum to teach anything from birth to Kindergarten age.

I think TWTM had a book which they recommended for ages 0-5, but it was mostly ideas for enrichment and things to do.

I think lots of lots of read-alouds are good, plus puzzles, crayons, blocks, and other simple toys. I agree with you---I don't think kids need a formal curriculum at that age. They will learn plenty just by playing.

I got the same catalog! And, yeah, I agree that the package is crazy.

I have a (newly) 3yo. He has picture and word books. He has blocks. He has puzzles. He has games. He has crayons. I'm pretty confident in my ability to use them, lol.

I AM looking into getting some new workbooks for letters and numbers because he is starting to ask for "his turn" at "work", but I don't see any reason to spend a couple hundred dollars for a *curriculum*.

Eh, it's not that big a deal. I'm sitting here looking at the catalog, and it has a bunch of the kind of toys that most people buy anyway -- crib mirror, shape sorter, rattles, stacking cups -- plus some books of baby signs and nursery rhymes and games for parents to play with their babies. I don't see anything age-inappropriate.

Calling it a curriculum is kind of silly, but hey, they're the ones making money.

We use a "curriculum" for dd, but really we just have themes every week. One week we might pay special attention to cows and the color blue, or something. It's more for me, as a way to make sure I don't miss anything important. It's not a curriculum in the sense that an older child would use one.